Mysterious Ways - Chapter 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Sorry this is taking sooo long. I have most of this tour played out in my head, it's just hard finding time getting it on 'paper'. These characters are just that. They just look remarkably like U2.

Larry had never courted anyone. He and Ann had been friends for years and romance grew out of that. There was no thought to it, it just happened. Ann had been the only woman he ever loved until Gloria. But he never wooed Gloria either. It took years to build up to the events of 2006. He never set out to seduce or bed her - it just happened. He was very uncomfortable in this new role. It didn’t help that he couldn’t get a clear reading on Gloria. She was so focused on the work. He attempted simple gestures. He tried to sit beside her at meetings and dinners. No matter how tired he was, he made sure he met her each morning for their runs. If he had been Bono, this would be easier. Bono could turn on his charm like a light switch. If he wanted, he’d had Gloria swooning while Larry fumbled over his words.

But for every step forward, there was a stumble back. Just at the moment where Gloria and Larry began to flirt, Ann and the kids joined the tour. Or the families were in France. With Ann around, Larry couldn’t clear his head. He retreated and became quiet. He went from finding ways to be close or to touch Gloria - to avoid being in the same room. And Gloria felt this. Just at the moment where she would start let her wall down, it was like a slap in the face. She couldn’t figure out why he couldn’t make up his mind. What was he trying to do? Stroke his ego? She wondered if there had been a status change with Larry and Ann. It was hard to tell looking at them interact. Larry had never been overly demonstrative with affection. They always just seemed like very good friends. On a rare occasion, Larry would wrap his arm around her shoulders, or touch her back. Gloria didn’t see this - but Larry’s face was a steel trap. His jaw tensed and the vein in his forehead pulsed. If he thought that he could have a little while on tour, he was sadly mistaken, Gloria decided. But she was sure she saw him wink at her before he walked on stage every night.

It was another late night at Bono’s house in France as the band rehearsed some new songs. During the break, the plan was to record another record. The tour would be completely different for North America come spring. Gloria excused herself from the rehearsal space to work in the living room. There was an actor very upset that she was not physically available to go over a screenplay. He was adamant that she offer her notes on it. Sometimes it was nice to be on tour. Here, she was part of a family. She knew what everyone was doing at all times. For the most part, she managed Bono’s schedule. The focus was on him since he was the one injured. And after a few shows, the whispering and speculation stopped. Now, she worked on his appointments with world leaders. But, her clients did not care about her U2 sabbatical.

Larry leaned back in his chair as Edge retuned his guitar. His thigh buzzed. It was Ann. He hopped up to answer it.

“Hey,” he walked into the hallway.

“Hi,” she said. “Am I catching you at a bad time?”

“No”, her voice was tight. Something was wrong. “Is everything okay?”

“Uh, yeah. Do you have a few minutes?” she asked.

Larry moved through the house to the library. “Yeah, I’m alone. What’s wrong? Are the kids okay? Is it Aaron?”

“The kids are good. They miss their Da, but they are fine,” she paused. “I didn’t want to tell you, but my sister insisted that I tell you.”

His stomach nodded. “What is it?”

“I found a lump....in my breast a few days ago,” she said quietly.

Larry’s heart plummeted to the bottom of his stomach. “Ann....”

“Don’t get carried away yet. I’ve an appointment with the doctor on Monday,” she said. “It’s probably nothing. Please, please don’t say anything to anyone. I didn’t want to tell you and ruin the tour but my sister said that as the father, you should know.”

“Listen, I can leave the tour...” his mind was moving at warp speed.

“Larry, don’t be silly. You cannot leave,” Ann said.

Larry searched around on the leather couch for his jacket. Pulling out an old planner, he thumbed to August. His eyes squinted at Gloria’s writing. She had updated the calendar in his phone, but Larry could never be bothered to figure out the calendar function. His clear disregard for technology forced her to fill out his daily planner by hand. “I can be home next Tuesday. We’re playing Sunday and Monday.”

“You don’t have to. It’s fine. I will call directly after,” she urged. She knew Larry would over react.

Larry sensed that he was causing her stress. Breathing deeply, he attempted to clear all the negative thoughts swirling in his head. He focused on his schedule. “We have a few days off. I’ll come home for a day if I’m not needed.”

“Okay,” she answered quietly. “Remember, you can’t tell anyone. I don’t want a fuss. I don’t want the kids to think anything is off.”

“I promise. Have you talked with Ali or Moreleigh?”

“No, just my sisters. We haven’t said anything to Mum or Da. I want to wait until I know more,” she sounded tired.

“Okay. I won’t say anything. I’ll tell them Aaron is giving you a time,” he glanced out the library door. He could hear Bono talking with Adam.

“Thank you,” Ann said.

“I’ll call to chat with the kids tomorrow,” he said. “Can I do anything?”

“No, just say a little prayer tonight. If I need something, I’ll call,” she sighed. “I’m sorry to burden you with this.”

“Ann, you could never be a burden,” he urged.

She laughed quietly. “I know....I’m going to go to bed. Take care, Lar.”

“Take care, Ann. I love you,” he blurted at the end.

He could tell she was surprised. “I love you too.”

Larry shook. Not Ann, he thought. She has three children, my children. He went cold thinking about them growing up without her. What about Ava? She needed a mother. He never got over losing his mother. The voices from the next room echoed through the house. He slipped out the french doors to the stone patio. The sky and sea were an endless stretch of blackness. The clouds has swallowed the stars which seemed to upset the sea below. It groaned below him. He had to gather himself before facing the guys. He was scared. How could he go on with Ann? Even if they weren’t together in that way. She was his anchor to his past. He was angry because for all the babysteps he made towards Gloria - he had to pull back. He felt guilty for those feelings. How could he ask Gloria to step into his life right now? Confusion churned in him like the sea. Presented with the possibility of losing Ann, he felt the need to hold on to her. Was this life’s way of telling him that he was about embark on a big mistake?

Even though he stood outside, the walls were closing in on him. He had to go home. The smell of cooking meat wafted from a nearby cafe making his stomach turn. He was sure that he would be ill. Taking a cleansing breath, he walked back into the house. Grabbing his jacket, he walked into the practice space.

“Hey guys, I’m not feeling great. Are we done here?” he asked.

Edge was a little startled by Larry’s sudden mood swing. “Are you okay?”

“Eh, kids. Aaron is giving Ann a hard time,” he shoved his arms into his jacket. “We just got into it. I’m feeling too pissed to be good company.”

“Alright mate,” Bono clapped his shoulder. It was hard as rock. “Have a shot and go to bed.”

Adam stretched as he stood. “I think it’s time to call it a night. We’ve a show tomorrow and some people need to rest.”

Bono raised his eyebrows. “Who are you looking at old man?”

“Right ladies,” Larry waved his hand. “Goodnight.”

He moved quickly through the streets. Adam was probably intending to join him on the stroll home. There was no way Larry could hold it together right now for general chitchat. He didn’t even want to see Gloria who had been a ray of light to him lately. He needed to be in the dark tonight - alone.

Within 15 minutes, Bono found himself in his large house alone. In the library, the clocked ticked - the only sound in his home. He worked his way around the discarded instruments collecting empty glasses and bottles. Technically, he could leave them for days. Ali was in Dublin with the kids. He worked his way into the kitchen. Placing the glassware on the counter, he decided that enough leaning for the night. No need to get silly about it. A soft chiming stirred him from his task. What was that noise? He followed the periodic chiming into the living room. He saw Gloria’s cell phone on the coffee table. She must have left it. He scratched his head. He didn’t remember seeing her leave. As he rounded the couch, he found her curled up fast asleep. All her taskmaster tools, iPad, iBook.....all open with her schedules and emails. He looked down at her. Poor thing. She worked herself to the bone the last few weeks. His schedule was tidy and organized for thanks to her. She still wore her blouse and fitted skirt from a meeting she and Paul had earlier in the day. Her phone buzzed indicating a voicemail. Bono chuckled as he saw Billy’s name flash on the screen. He would never give up on Gloria. Poor guy.

Quietly Bono closed her computer. A lock of her golden hair fell across her face as she shifted. He held still to not wake her. Gently, he brushed her hair aside. His eyes caught on her face. He had forgotten how beautiful she was. There were a few new lines on her face. But everyone had new creases. Smiling, he remembered that innocent girl that stared at him with big blue eyes. She was a woman now. And a woman who enjoyed bossing him around. He pulled a blanket over her carefully. He removed his glasses to get an unobstructed view of her. He sat on the edge of the coffee table. It had been years since he looked at her like this. She let out a small sigh. The hair on the back of Bono’s neck stood on end. Her hand tucked under head as she rolled over on her side. Swiftly, he moved away. He didn’t want to be caught watching her sleep. He looked towards the stairs. Suddenly, he didn’t feel like sleeping alone upstairs. Grabbing another blanket, he curled up on the couch across from her. He couldn’t take his eyes from her face. She was just as beautiful as the morning she walked out of his hotel room 17 years ago.

I found it through your stats page. If there's one thing I'd wish for your fics, it's that you'd put them up over on Archive of Our Own, because chapter navigation is so easy over there. Thanks for the tip on the inbox- I took care if it.

I just got Archive of Our Own. I was on a waiting list for months. That is a time consuming proposition. If I had an assistant.....

Good for you! I wondered about that. I saw "waiting list" and thought yikes, what exactly does this entail?

:laugh: Oh damn, shoulda said no Larry as main under any circumstance. THough, no, that would exclude MW, which I definitely wouldn't mind helping with. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom