Mysterious Ways - Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is fiction. Not actual events that have taken place in Europe this summer. But it'd be cool if it did.

The weeks leading up to Turin were a blur for Gloria. Her day started before dawn. She sat in her hotel room answering emails from the night before. From there, it was to the gym. Bono and his trainer would show up an hour later. Bono would run and lift light weights. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched Gloria pile on the weight plates - far above what Bono was lifting or pushing. Every so often, she would pause to lok at her vibrating phone. A few taps and she was back at it. Some days, Larry ran to the gym from his house - then lift with his trainer/bodyguard. From the gym, Gloria was back to her room to go over the daily schedule for all four men. It was her job to organize all four schedules with their respective personal assistants. Meanwhile, she answered and tried to manage her other clients who seemed to be in denial that she was not at their disposal. Phones were pouring into to cover the first tour date. Everyone wanted to interview Bono. He shrugged and would have taken every single interview, but Gloria didn’t want him to burn out early. The tour was about 2 months long, and he needed his strength.

It took Larry a fews days to recover from the conversation he had with Ann the day Gloria arrived. He kept to himself. She was so busy immersing herself in the tour that they barely spoke. He just watched her as he tried to decide what to do and how to go about it. Four years ago, their affair developed organically. The feelings had been growing since 2001 at the very end of the Elevation tour. Once tossed together in land far away from families, romance bloomed.

That was almost four years ago. Larry didn’t feel as free. Europe was still close to his family. Even though he had Ann’s blessing, he was cautious about approaching Gloria. After a few days of quiet reflection, he was ready to make a move.

“You run to the gym in the morning, right?” he sat across from her one afternoon while the band took tea.

“I try to run the long way to the gym. I usually have to do my long runs on the treadmill,” she smiled. “I found a race to do during the tour.”

“Really? Where?” he leaned forward.

“It’s a half marathon September 2nd. It’s the day before the Athens show. It’s in Greece, so it will be kind of cool to run a race where racing was born,” she said.
He frowned. “It’ll be hot though, right?”

She nodded. “Yes, it will be very hot. But as long as I keep hydrated and not push myself, I should be okay.”

“How long of race is it?” Larry enjoyed having a nice casual conversation, even if his heart raced beneath his shirt.

“About 21K or 13.1 miles.”

Larry whistled. “That’s a long time to run.”

She laughed. “It is.”

He bit his lip. “I was wondering if I could run with you in the morning.”

She was surprised. The last thing she figured Larry needed was an extra run or buddy. “Of course you can.”

He patted his flat belly. “I have to take a few pounds off before I get fat.”

She threw her head back in a hearty laugh. “The only way you’d get fat is in the head. But that’s something I’d accuse Bono of.”

Larry’s cheek pinked. “I could use a shake up in my workout. It’d be good to have someone pace me.”

Gloria’s phone buzzed. “Well, then you have a partner.” She winked as she answered her phone. “Gloria speaking.....yeah.....okay, let me look at the schedule, but I’m not sure that is possible.” She walked into the next room.

Larry felt a small morsel of accomplishment. It wasn’t anything close to a date, but it was time alone with her.

Within the week, the band and entourage packed up for Italy. The claw was ready for rehearsals. A nervous buzz befell the U2 camp. Would Bono’s back hold? Was it as he described, better by design. Gloria had seen a wince here and there in the gym. She made sure he didn’t sit too long for an interview. It was her job to make sure he didn’t hurt himself.

The first full rehearsal was tame. Bono didn’t move around too much. Edge wondered if maybe they should have given him more time to recover. As he sang, he wrapped one arm around himself and paced the stage. Even if voice sounded tight. Larry raised his eyebrows over the drumset. Musically, they were fluid. It all hinged on the big man, and that wasn’t God.

The night before the Turin opener was chilly. Bono, bundled in a hooded sweatshirt, gingerly stalked about the stage. The rad crew buzzed about them as the four stood around Larry discussing any last minute changes to the setlist. Gloria climbed the stage with ever present iPad in hand.

“Did you know there are about 200 fans sitting outside the gate listening?” she asked.

“Sounds about right,” Edge said.

“Some of them have been here for hours,” Adam zipped his jacket higher. “I passed them on the way in.”

“I heard they were in line for tomorrow, some of them,” Dallas called from Edge’s foot pedals.

“We should feed them,” Gloria said. “Perfect PR moment.”

Bono smiled. “That is a great idea.”

“Hey, someone get some water and fish for Bono...he’s going to feed the wedding guests,” Larry teased.

Bono shot him a glare. “I was thinking pizza.”

“I’ll get the phone number of a local place. You know what would be cool? If you guys handed them out to the fans,” she suggested.

Bono clapped his hands together. “That’s an excellent idea.”

Larry frowned. He really wanted to remain private this tour. He tried to disappear when the pizzas arrived. His plan was to avoid autographs and awkward handshakes this leg of the tour. Gloria found him fiddling with the cymbals as they were delivered.

“Hey, watcha doing?” she asked.

“Ok, something sounds a bit off here. I’m just retightening these,” he stammered.

She raised her eyebrows. “Oh yeah? Why don’t you take a pizza break. The guys are getting ready to hand out some pizzas.”

“Do we all have to go?” his voice almost a five year old whine.

“Yes,” she said firmly. “The entire band has to go out there.” She motioned her hands for emphasis.

He rolled his eyes. “Fine.”

To his dismay, Larry survived communing with the fans. It’s not that he didn’t love and appreciate them. He didn’t like the intrusion when he was just trying to get to a venue or hotel.

There wasn’t much celebrating the night before the tour opener. The air was tense the day of the show. All eyes were on Bono - and he felt that weight on his newly repaired back. He tried to remain light and airy. He joked with everyone as he bounced around the backstage. Gloria pulled him aside after an interview with Rolling Stone to check on him. He winked and promised all was well, but even he wondered what it would be like. Had he taken enough time to come back? Would his back hold out for a 2 hour show when he would go at full throttle?

The intro music started. Bono bounced on balls of his feet. His new boots felt powerful. Adam, Larry and Edge watched him out of the corners of their eyes. Bono felt strong as he took the stage. A few minutes into the show, Larry smiled widely at Edge. The cloud slowly lifted like the dry ice. Bono was back and he was better, stronger thanks to German engineering. The tour was back on.

It was easy to get back into the groove for Gloria. She’d done the tour before. She did this tour before. The difference is that this time she wasn’t concerned how Larry would be. He was positively chilly and business-like during the fall last year. At first, she was hurt. But she was the one that walked away.

After an afternoon of frolicking and lovemaking on the beach, Larry and Gloria were giddy as they walked through the hotel. They didn’t expect to see Ann and the children. It was at that moment, Gloria knew it was over. It didn’t matter that she could see the pain in Larry’s eyes as he saw his life-partner in the lobby. She knew he loved her, but she could not compete with his love for his family.

That night, she met him on the beach. The post-show luau raged. Larry wrung his hands.

“I had no idea” he swept his hand over his head. “I...don’t know what to say.”

She dug deep within herself to find a reserve of strength. “Don’t explain. It’s fine.” She smiled weakly. “What happens in Australia stays in Australia.”

He chuckled uncomfortably. “That wasn’t my plan.”

She looked down. “I know. I’m leaving tomorrow. The tour is over and there’s no need to stay on.”

“But..” he protested. “I don’t want you to leave.”

“Look, it’s already weird. I can’t stay,” her throat tightened. She choked on her feelings. She knew this would happen. It couldn’t last. He had a family with Ann.

His mouth hung open but no wards came out. He wanted to tell her everything he knew she wanted to hear. But he couldn’t. He had young children. He couldn’t leave. As much as he wanted to take her hand and run away, his feet were rooted in the sand. He could only watch her walk out of his life.

It took almost the length of the 360 tour for Larry and Gloria to back to normal. By the last tour date, they were back to an easy-going friendship. Gloria wondered if any flicker left in Larry, but he was more guarded than usual. She didn’t try to push the issue. Getting involved again would bring the same heartache and ending. What would the point in that?

:applaud: WONDERFULLY DONE! I love how you put your character in with the fresh history of 360, especially the pizza part! I can totally see Larry being all :yell:.

As for Larry and Gloria, they need to run together and get all that...erm..."frustration" out. Yeah, "frustration.":sexywink:

Right. I'm done. :p

oooh, these two have THAT kind of past.. verrrrrrry interesting..

ON WITH THE TOUR ALREADY!

:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom