Mysterious Ways - Chapter 28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is very short. The chapter after this skims U2's trip to Africa and goes right to South America.

More Bono/Gloria angst as they reconcile their new role in each others lives.

"Are you okay?" Edge asked.

"Me? Oh yeah. Absolutely." Truthfully, he wasn't sure. It had been almost 3 weeks since he last laid eyes on Gloria. Would she be different after a week with Larry? He paced his apartment last night as he contemplated going to Gloria's. Instead he wrote an article for Daily Mail. It was a good excuse to see her since she'd need to proof it. Today was also about Spider-Man. Gloria would accompany them to the show to see what exactly was going on. When the elevator door opened, Bono practically sprinted down the hall.

Edge grabbed his arm. "Easy. Calm down."

Edge watched his leg bounce on the plane, in the cab and at the cafe. Bono was ready to tear out of his own skin. Not very subtle, Edge noted. Bono slowed his pace as he entered the office. Like usual, it was bustling with agents and assistants running around with ear pieces muttering to themselves.

"Should we see Andrew?" Edge asked.

Bono ignored him and headed straight for Gloria's office. He prayed that she didn't run off to LA early. He'd have no excuse this time. He saw her TV's flickering on the wall. Her assistant, Serena, looked up.

"Shhh...." he smiled. Slipping off his glasses, he looked into her office. His heart ached.

Gloria was hunched over a pile of papers making corrections with a pencil. She was oblivious to the TVs or Bono lingering in the doorway. She looked tired and gorgeous.

"Hello beautiful," he purred.

She looked up with wild blonde hair framing her face. She gave him a smile that melted the ice and snow piled on the sidewalk below. God how he had missed her.

"I thought you guys were coming tomorrow," she settled back in her chair.

Edge ducked in. "Hi Gloria."

She stood to give them a hug. Edge gave her a small squeeze. "Happy New Year."

"And to you." She braced herself for Bono's touch. She thought about Larry. As their stomachs touched, she let out a sigh. She wished being here didn't feel so good. His hug lingered. Luckily it was just Edge in her office. She felt his stubble as he brushed her cheek.

"Did you have a good holiday? " she hoped her voice wasn't too tight.

"It was restful." He said simply. He wasn't even going to ask the about hers.

"You deserve that," she said. "Are you headed to the theatre?"

Edge nodded. "Yeah. Are you free to join us?"

"I can join you later this afternoon. I'm editing some press releases right now. We have a team meeting and then I 'm free," she said.

"And they say I'm busy," Bono said.

"Hey!" Andrew ducked his head inside Gloria's office. "I heard you guys were here." He hugged Edge. "Merry Christmas and Happy New Years." He looked to Bono. "I already talked to you on Christmas."

Gloria shot Bono a questioning look.

"I called Christmas night," Bono's voice couldn't hide some sadness.

"Oh," was all Gloria could say. Did he not want to talk to her, or was he upset that Larry was there?

"Are you heading over to Spider-Man?" Andrew asked.

"You mean the money pit? Yes, we're on our way," Bono said.

"I did see it a few nights ago," Andrew said. "It was interesting. "

Edge raised his eyebrows. "Interesting? I'm not sure if that's good or bad."

"Well," Andrew tried to think of how to explain what he'd experienced.

Bono held up his hand. "Your confused face is enough explanation."

"That's why we are heading over there." Edge sighed.

"Hey, did you guys hear? I'm back on the road!" Andrew said excitedly. "I'm going with you to South Africa."

Edge glanced at Bono who looked like he was sorting out a complicated math problem. "You're coming along to South Africa?"

"Yeah, I gave Gloria some time off. I'm coming," Andrew beamed.

Bono felt the floor drop under him. He looked to Gloria who seemed to be annoyed that Andrew dropped the bomb.

"Are you dropping us?" He asked in a small voice.

"No, I just asked Andrew to go to Africa for me. It's Oscar season and I am behind in marathon training. I'll be there in South America." Gloria reassured.

It was upsetting him more than it should, he knew that. Did he do something wrong? Unfortunately, the room was filled with people that he couldn't ask her. Even though Edge knew, it was best not to discuss it in front of him. Bono couldn't wait to get her alone this week - if he could.

Andrew wrapped his arm and Gloria. "And thanks for letting me in on the secret."

Edge and Bono exchanged a leery glance. "Pardon?"

"The news about Larry and Gloria," Andrew said.

Edge let out a small sigh of relief. "Oh, that. It just happened really."

Bono's eyes bore into Gloria. "It wasn't our story to tell."

"Hey, if she's happy," Andrew said.

"You know that I'm right here. This is my office we're standing in," she said.

Andrew gave her a squeeze. "You have to come see the kids. They are getting so big. And we need to plan some good parties while I'm on the road. I have a feeling this is my last hurrah."

Bono grinned wickedly. "We'll give you a proper send off."

Andrew rubbed his hands together. "I hope so. I have a conference call to get to. We'll scheme later." He ran out of the office with a spring in his step.

"Make sure he gets home in one piece, okay?" Gloria said.

Bono winked. "Of course. Nothing scandalous happens on tour."

Edge couldn't control his laugh. Gloria shook her head and sat behind her desk.Edge nodded to Bono that they should go. Bono held up a finger, he needed a moment.

"See ya later, Gloria," Edge waved.

Gloria waved and watched Bono hover. "See ya, Edge."

They stared at each other for a moment. He broke his gaze first and shoved his hands in his pocket feeling the small box at the bottom - her gift which he still had yet to give her.

"Is there something else?" She knew she might regret that question.

He bit his lower lip. "Did I do something wrong?"

"What do you mean?" She asked. "Africa?"

He nodded as hurt seeped in behind his shades. "Why aren't you going? Was it me? Did I do something?"

He looked like a lost little boy. She longed to take him in her arms and soothe his sadness. No, she had to remain strong. One touch could lead to another and then another.

"You didn't do anything. This wasn't on my original schedule. I made promises to my clients awhile ago. It's award season. I need to be there for them," she said gently. "And I need to think about training too. I didn't realize I'd still be touring with you when I registered. "

He rubbed his chin. It made sense. "But we're in South America right before the race. How is that different? "

"No awards. The timing of South America is not great I will admit. But I'll have most of the training done. I just need to make sure I keep my mileage up," she said.

"I'll join you," he offered.

"I doubt your doctor wants you running 16 to 20 miles," she smiled.

His smiled faded as he inched closer. "Where's the rosary?"

Her heart sunk. "In a safe place. It would be too much to explain."

"I guess if people saw it. But under clothes...." he said. At least the runner still graced her neck.

"Yeah, but what happens when the clothes come off?" She asked.

He looked like he'd been slapped. "I guess I didn't want to consider it."

"It was bound to happen. He stayed with me over the holiday," she said softly. "I doubt it was a celibate holiday for you and the missus."

He looked down. She was right - he had told her to move on with Larry. He had given her no reason to hope for anything else. It didn't make it easier seeing them get closer. Perhaps it was a good thing that Gloria wouldn't be going to Africa. Maybe he needed more time away from her. As her eyes stared up at him, it took all his strength to not go to her and kiss her with everything.

"I'm sorry," she said softly. She hated hurting him. In a sense, it was good for him to know what it was like for her all those years ago. To know that when Ali was there, they were man and wife - no matter how much Bono declared his love for Gloria. "I know this isn't easy for either of us."

He scratched the back of his neck. "You don't need me to make it harder." He smiled weakly. "It's still good to see you again. I miss talking to you."

"Me too. I have some stuff to finish here, but I'll go by the theatre after," she said.

"I'm not sure you really want to. Edge and I have been dreading it," he turned to see Edge hanging by the door. "I better go."

She nodded with a lump in her throat. "Okay. I'll catch up later."

With a quick nod and lingering gaze, he turned and left with Edge.

Sighing heavily, she swiveled her chair to gaze out her window. He still managed to unravel her with just a smile. It was as if the week with Larry never happened once she was back under Bono's gaze. You told Larry you loved him, she thought. She did love Larry. It just wasn’t the same soul shaking way she felt about Bono.

Edge finally broke the silence in the elevator. "Are you okay? "

"Yes and no," Bono said plainly. "I don't believe that she needs to be here. I think she needs to be away from me."

"You think you're why she's skipping Africa? " Edge asked.

He nodded. "I think partly. I just hope she doesn't leave the tour again."

Edge wondered if that would be a good or bad thing. He remembered the last time their affair ended.

Edge knocked on Bono's hotel room door. Nothing. Waiting a minute, he knocked again. Then again. As he was about to hunt Jerry or hotel security down, the door cracked open and Bono's red eyes peered out.

"What?" He sounded like he had not slept in years.

"Can I come in?" Edge asked.

Without a word, Bono moved away from the door but didn't close it behind him. Edge figured that was as good as an invitation. He closed the door behind him.

Bono sunk on the couch running his hands through his more than unruly hair. On a coffee table before him laid photographs scattered. Edge peered closer. They were all of Gloria or them together. Most were harmless with a group even though they were always beside one another. A few looked as though they were taken at close range by Bono. Only a few were damaging. Clearly taken lying on bed, his arm was wrapped around her as she curled into him. Edge gathered they were probably naked even if he couldn't tell for certain. They looked blissful, maybe catching a post-coital glow for eternity. There a few from that angle. His face buried in her neck and hers on his chest. They looked deeply in love. Edge knew it was deeper than fun. Bono had told them he loved her, but was quite something to see it captured on film.

Bono saw Edge looking at all the photos. "I should get rid of them, but I can't."

"What are you going to do with them?" Edge asked. "If you bring them home, Ali could find them."

Bono nodded slowly. "I know. Reg, why did she have to leave?"

"I'm guessing she was just trying to leave gracefully. Did you tell her it was over once the tour was done? " he asked.

"I tried to avoid the subject as I wasn't sure what I was going to do," he said.

"Were you really thinking of leaving Ali?" Edge sat beside him.

Bono shook his head. "I don't know. Did I think about it? Yes. Would I do it? I'm not sure. Right now, I want Gloria back so much it hurts. I hurt everywhere. But I have kids at home. What if this is just a phase? What if it's the tour talking?" His eyes watered. "But what if I just let the love of my life go? What if I never get over how I feel right this moment?"

Edge saw that same face 18 years later. It was clear that Bono never did get over Gloria since he easily fell back in love. If the Larry and Gloria relationship continued, how was Bono going to cope?

:heart::heart::heart:

I like how you're dragging this out, keeping us guessing. It seems Bono is a bit obsessed now- like he "forgot" she was with Larry... and poor Gloria's just trying to do what's right... One of them will have to break at some point.

Perhaps. Or maybe they will each get used to their new lives. I need to write more of Acrobat before wrapping up MW.

I've been writing some bits here and there. Flanagan really skips over the first part of the tour - so I've been buying other books to help flesh it out better. But I hope to have something soon for that.
I know, it's disappointing... I know so little about the first leg and Outside Broadcast. I can only guess it was similar to Zooropa before they released the album, only with different videos and a different persona...

What other books would you recommend? :)

I just got (through the African Well Fund) U2 Live which covers the early years through Elevation. Something to consider for your next adventures. And I just got BP Fallon's book. He was only on tour through Outside Broadcast so I'm hoping to get more detail on the 1992 shows.

Ohhh angsty flashback...I really like photos as a storytelling device inside a story, they make for good imagery...

also somehow I doubt they're going to actually get back together. We'll see though.

Physically no. This is why January through early April get the bums rush. Nothing really happens in those months. But I want to go back and tell the story of how they got here....so I hope to focus on Acrobat more. Hopefully Without Speaking and I will have something to share soon too.

What if this is just a phase? What if it's the tour talking?" His eyes watered. "But what if I just let the love of my life go? What if I never get over how I feel right this moment?"

Yikers. That. Sucks.

have i mentioned that i love this story?

It's actually getting better as it goes on, I think.

Back
Top Bottom