Mysterious Ways - Chapter 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Okay we have the snow day to thank for this chapter. I'm not sure I'll get to post something new before my vacation. This is fiction. I just own suntan lotion and a new suitcase.

Enjoy.

“Hey, what happened to our truce?” Larry cried. He twisted his face in deep concentration. “That’s it. This is war.”

“Hey!” Aaron said. “I’m your son!”

Larry’s thumbs pounded on the controller. He drew a sword out from behind his back. “Aha!”

“Oh yeah?” Aaron pulled a lightning rod out from a magic satchel.

“Where did you get that?” he asked. Within seconds, Larry’s lizard character shriveled and died.

“I wouldn’t have killed you, dad,” Eva said.

“That is why you get everything in the will,” he teased. He heard the phone ring in the other room. “Rematch?”

Aaron nodded as he went to reset the game.

“Larry? That was police on the line. They sad there was a break in at the studio. They want to go down and survey the damage.See what might have been taken,” Ann said.

“Shit. Right now?” he asked.

Ann nodded. “I guess there’s a bit of vandalism. Bono and Edge are in New York and Adam is in London.”

“Feck,” he growled as he grabbed his jacket. To Aaron, “Rematch tomorrow?”

“Sure dad. Hope everything is okay,” Aaron called already engrossed in a new game.

“Call me when you get there,” Ann said.

He sped through the streets of Dublin wondering how did anyone get in. They had a state of the art security system. Larry wanted a security guard, but Bono felt it was overkill. It was a studio not Buckingham Palace. Well, Bono, if our equipment is either gone or destroyed, that will change your tune.There were two police cars with lights flashing parked outside. A few police stood outside talking into radios. He felt rage build up inside him. How dare anyone think they had the right to just break in and touch or take what wasn’t theirs.

“Are you Lawrence Mullen?” one asked.

“I am. What happened?” he asked.

“It seems like the main door was open. But they busted the lock inside,” he said.

“Was anything damaged?” Larry asked.

“Well, follow me,” the cop said.

Larry followed two policemen up the stairwell to main sitting room. It was still a bit dark inside, but Larry couldn’t see anything trashed. Maybe it was the studio itself that was totaled. He looked around.

“Did you leave the door unlocked, boyo?” a familiar voice said behind him.

Larry spun around to see Bono standing in the doorway with his arms crossed and a smile on his face. Edge and Adam laughed behind him.

“What the fuck?” Larry asked.

“We had to get you down here,” Bono shrugged. “We thought, what would piss Larry off the most? A nice B and E.”

“Are those even real police?” Larry pointed the uniformed man laughing.

“If the Irish press found out we paid police to pull a prank, they’d slay us,” Edge said.

“Nope, local actors,” Bono hugged Larry. “Happy birthday, mate.”

Larry finally started to laugh too. “Feck, my blood pressure jumped through the roof. Was Ann involved?

“Of course,” Adam said.

The fake police left and Edge returned to the living room with a cooler filled with Guinness.

“You came all the way for this?” Larry asked. “Especially you two?”

“Just a short trip from America,” Edge shrugged.

Bono pulled out 3 beers and a seltzer. “We’re taking you to some vegetarian place in town. But first, a little appetizer.”

Larry felt blessed. He looked at his three friends. They flew in from everywhere to be here for his birthday - or at least the day before his birthday. He plopped down on the couch beside Adam. There was no music talk, or recording talk. Edge discussed the rehearsals and some of the issues they were having. Bono talked about his meeting with Hollywood bigwigs. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to mention seeing Gloria. Would that bring up questions? He decided to keep her to himself.

Three drinks in, and no one was ready to move on just yet.

“So, Lar,” Bono asked. “What are the big plans for your 49th year? World peace? Learn a new language?”

Larry placed his beer on the table. “There is something I need to share with you.”

Edge wasn’t sure if he was pretending to be serious. Larry was known for his deadpan delivery.

“I’m sorry if I was an arse this summer,” he started.

Edge’s blood went to ice. What if he wanted to leave? What if all this album battling has turned him sour?

Larry took a deep breath. “Ann had a cancer scare this summer.”

Bono gasped. “Is she okay?”

Larry held up his hands to slow his friends down. “She’s fine. It was just a scare. We had a long bout with tests, mamograms, sonograms, biopsies.....but it turned out to be nothing. It’s something they are going to monitor.”

“Why didn’t you tell us? We could have helped you through it,” Bono leaned forward in his seat.

“Ann asked me not to say anything. She wanted to know what she was dealing with. Even I was freaking her out too much. She was trying to be positive. I think she didn’t want people to treat her differently,” Larry said.

“I’m sorry. It must have been hard going through that alone,” Edge said.

“You didn’t tell anyone?” Adam asked.

“No....she wanted privacy,” larry said. “I had to respect her wishes.”

Everyone sat in stunned silence. Larry cleared his throat. “That brings me to the next thing.” He knew that everyone would respond with kindness and concern over Ann’s scare. He wasn’t sure how they would take his next news. “Ann and I, after thoughtful consideration have decided to part ways. At least romantically.”

Bono sat very still. The old Bono would have reacted with emotion. He held himself in. He didn’t like where this could be headed.

“What?” Edge asked. “What? When? How?”

“I know. I’m probably the last person you would expect this from, except for maybe him,” Larry motioned to Bono who thought he might vomit on the spot. “We love each other, but haven’t been in love for a long time. And I know that a marriage - which is what we have - is not all butterflies and first kisses. But, there has to be more than just friendship. And that’s what we have. A brilliant friendship, but we both deserve more.”

Edge nodded. He understood. It was never easy to walk away from a long term relationship.

Larry smiled nervously. “In fact, Ann is already seeing someone.”

“But you still live there, right?” Bono finally found his voice.

“For now I do. Eventually, I will be getting a place of my own. As progressive as I am, I can’t live in the same house with her indefinitely. She needs private time with her new man,” Larry grabbed another beer.

“How is that?” Adam asked. “Her dating?”

“I’ll admit it was strange. It was right after the scare and we were in a gray zone. But I’m fine with it now,” Larry shrugged. He looked at Bono. “There’s something you need to know.” Adam and Edge exchanged glances. Bono chewed on the inside of his lip. This was not happening. “Ehm, about four years ago, I, ehm, had an affair with Gloria. It was the end of the Vertigo tour.”

Yeah I knew, Bono thought. She told me right before we made mad passionate love. He couldn’t say that though.

“I kind of figured as much. I thought you were being overly nice to her,” he looked at Adam and Edge. “But you two knew?” He wondered if Gloria knew about that.

Adam nodded slowly. “I figured it when Gloria left abruptly.”

Edge was flushed with shame. “I didn’t figure it out until New York after that tour.”

Bono only nodded. Thanks mates, he thought sourly. He clenched his hands together. There had to be a reason why Larry was spilling his guts on the floor.

“I’m still in love with her,” Larry gushed.

The room spun around for Bono. He was sick to his stomach. This was not happening.

“And if I didn’t completely blow it by pushing her away when we thought Ann was sick, I want to make a real go of it. But before I did anything, I needed to discuss with my mates, my brothers,” he looked at them.

“Wow,” Edge said. He noticed Bono’s face turn to stone and drain of color.

“Well, it would change everything. For as long as you’ve known me, I’ve been with Ann. And Gloria is a part of our family. It’s going to take some work getting back to her graces. I was a real jackass with her,” he ran his fingers through his hair.

If you only knew how complicated it was, Bono scowled deep inside. He felt ripped apart. He loved Larry, and only wanted his happiness. If he wanted to be with anyone but Gloria, he would be thrilled. He would be the world’s best matchmaker. But Larry wanted Gloria. And only a day ago, Bono had Gloria in his arms. What a fecking mess.

“We better get going to the restaurant or we’ll just pass out here,” Larry stood. “So, do I have your blessing?”

Adam and Edge were immediate with their approval. Bono swallowed the bile that rose up in his throat. How could he give his blessing? But how could he refuse it?

“Whatever makes you happy, mate,” Bono offered a terse hug.

Larry smiled. “Thanks guys. It’s an exciting new world.”

Bono had never expected Larry to drop that bomb when asked about his 49th year. It felt as though he had been kicked in the stomach. He just gave his blessing! Sure Larry, go woo the woman I love, he thought bitterly.

It was a long night after that. Bono blamed the jetlag for his reserved behavior. Larry wondered if Bono felt betrayed by his profession of love. After all, Larry was very vocal on his disproval of Gloria and Bono years ago.

Sometime after midnight, Bono and Edge walked through the city towards the Clarence. Larry and Adam stayed at the pub with an arsenal of friends who stopped by to wish the drummer a happy birthday.

“Are you okay, B?” Edge asked. The change in Bono’s mood was very evident to him.

“Tired,” he sighed.

“You turned white when Larry said he was in love with Gloria. Something tells me that this is not a hold over from decades ago,” Edge said.

Bono stopped. The weight of the world crushed his chest. He felt as if sobs would heave out of him. With sad eyes, he said, “Edge, I’m in love with her.”

“Still? After all that time?” Edge thought that must be impossible.

Bono nodded. “Yes, after all this time. We are in love with each other. I just came from seeing her.”

Edge’s blood turned to ice again. “What?”

“I am very much in love with her,” he said slowly.

“Since when? I mean....this hasn’t gone on for 18 years,” Edge said. No one could be that discreet.

“Since September. She fell asleep on my couch one night and something turned in me. I’ve always loved her. But I never thought we’d ever....” his voice trailed off. “But we found our way back.” The blood rushed to his head and his dinner to his throat. He steadied himself against the wall with one hand. The pain in stomach made it impossible to hold back. He wretched as the tears stung his eyes.

“Are you okay?” Edge felt powerless to help his friend, his brother. His heart raced as he thought was a disaster this was. “C’mon. Let’s get to the hotel.” He wrapped his arm around his ailing friend.

Bono felt foolish wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Edge said. His heart broke for him.

Edge guided Bono around the corner to the Clarence. Quickly, he whisked the distraught singer to his suite. Bono shrugged off his black coat and left it in a heap on the floor. He went straight to the bathroom to wash his face and rinse his mouth. Quietly. Edge picked up his coat and laid it on the back on the plush couch. He removed his own coat and went to the bar. He pulled out a beer for himself and soda for Bono. His ears were still ringing from what he had just heard. He tried to think back if there were any signs. They were normal. Nothing was ever inappropriate or raised flags. They were probably together when he went to the Africa Rising event. No wonder Gloria was a brilliant drinking buddy. Bono was with Ali that night.

Bono emerged from the bathroom with red eyes. “Thanks,” he said as Edge handed him the bottle of soda.

“How do you feel?” Edge peered closely at him.

“Better, and worse,” Bono sighed as he sat beside Edge.

“If you love Gloria, why did you give him your blessing?”

“How could I not? Without giving it all away? No one would believe that I would be that jealous after that much time,” he shrugged. “You knew something was suspect.”

“You said that you suspected Gloria and Larry, but you knew, didn’t you?” Edge asked.

Bono nodded. “Gloria told me, right before,” he blushed, “ before we made love.”

Hearing those words blew Edge’s mind. “What about Ali? I thought you were so happy.”

Bono rubbed the back of his neck. “I love Ali, I always will. I didn’t have everything figured out yet. I knew I had decisions to make. I was going to wait until after the holidays. But now this...”

They sat quiet for a moment. Edge had so many questions to ask.

After a few moments, he asked, “Were you really considering leaving?”

Bono took a deep breath. “Over the last few days, I’ve entertained the idea. I don’t think Ali and I are where Ann and Larry are. But I don’t think I could really explain how I feel when I’m with Gloria. It’s so much more special that it was then. Now, I don’t see how Gloria and I could ever be together.”

Edge heard the pain in his friend’s voice. “So, you are going to step aside for Larry?”

“He’s my brother, Edge. How can I - a married man - step all over that? He can offer her more than I can right now. I’ve thought about what it would mean for everyone if I left Ali. Everything would fuck up.” Bono paced the room. “Once the press got a hold of it, my affair with Gloria in the 90’s would revealed. For everyone to see, including my kids who know her as Aunt Gloria. My charity work would be compromised. Ali’s indiscretions would be aired.” Edge’s head shot up. Bono nodded with a sardonic smile. “Yes. Ali has strayed a few times. She goes away with men who hold the same interest and passion as she. Sometimes, she has slipped.” He slumped on the couch. “And there’s the band. Do you honestly think we could get through this?”

Edge didn’t have an answer. He thought the band was strong enough to pull through anything - divorce, alcoholism, cancer, musical suicide. Could the band handle with two members in love with one woman?

“And Gloria? Does she have any hope that you are leaving Ali?” he suddenly worried for her. This poor girl had been put through the ringer. Granted, she was in the wrong too. She knew both Larry and Bono were not single men. But Edge knew when it came to love, the lines of right and wrong get easily blurred.

“I told her I would be with her one day. I didn’t know how or when, but I wanted to give her everything,” Bono rubbed his eyes. “And I meant it.”

“And now?”

“Now, I don’t know how I’ll let go. Or how I will watch my best friend make off with the woman I love. I know I have to for everyone’s sake,” he wrapped his arms around himself. “This hurts.”

“If she loves you, I don’t see Larry getting far,” Edge said.

Bono nodded. “Maybe. Unless I pull away. If I push her towards him.....”

“Jaysus, can you do that?” he asked.

He shook his head. “I don’t know. I don’t think I have many options right now.”

That night was filled with nightmares for Bono. One night before, he was filled with hope for the future. Yes, he was confused, but as long as he and Gloria loved each other, they could make it work out. Together, they could face the world. Tonight, his body ached with pain. The future he dreamt about was shattered. He longed to curl himself around Gloria and have everything disappear. He stared at the ceiling until his eyes burned. Finally, he curled up in a ball and drifted to sleep.

Larry’s head was heavy with booze and laughter. The band took his news better than he thought. Bono was reserved which he expected. He knew that Bono still carried a small torch for her. He smiled as he thought about Gloria. At last, he was free to love her the way he wanted. Now, he needed to convince her that he was worthy and that he could make her happy again.

5000 miles away, Gloria’s hand reached across the cold spot where Bono’s warm body had laid the night before. The bed seemed so big and lonely tonight. She could still smell him on the sheets and pillows. She breathed him in deeply. Would he really part the skies to be with her? It was a lot for him to do. She wasn’t ready to hope that much. She knew she should walk away now - but she wasn’t ready to let him go. She closed her eyes and imagined he was there - his warmth wrapped around her.

Holy crap, you write fast! I was just reading chapter 20...goodness...

Heh. That was a good way to surprise Lardence. Scared the crap out of him, but...

Yeah I knew, Bono thought. She told me right before we made mad passionate love. He couldn’t say that though.

Hehehehe....a little angry, aren't you, Bono?

I loved his physical reactions to Larry's statement, by the way; you did that quite well.

God, this is one big pile of angst...it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

This was easy to write because it had been written in my head for a long time. But yeah, wanted to leave with a good old fashioned cliffhanger. :sexywink:

Oh good grief, Bono's going to be noble and break his own heart. And Gloria's, for that matter. Don't be noble Bono, fight for her! (This coming from a Larry girl :tsk: )

Oh, and I just read the private version of chapter 20, and all I have to say is :combust: for the private bits and :heart: for the romantic bits.

(Thanks for sending it.)

Well, that's his plan. Besides, he is starting to think with his head a bit more. Thinking about the band and his family. It's a mighty big risk even for love. Don't worry, he'll be conflicted. He might step aside for a bit.

I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I finally found some spare time (before engrossing myself in my own writing) to catch up on this and holy crap, woman! I don't know what to think! Larry has been holding on to Gloria, Bono's been holding on to Gloria. Has Gloria been holding on to them both? :panic: I JUST DON'T KNOW!

However, lovely writing as usual. :cute: I'm so curious to see what happens next!

Oh, and btw, I love how you brought Edge into this. :ssiiigggh: he's so lovely.

Edge will be good support/moral compass for Bono. Especially as the band regroups, now with Larry attempting to woo Gloria. I still have 3 weeks before the tour restarts. I'm sure Bono and Gloria see each other in that time. But does he start to pull away? Hmmm. Oh we have Christmas! So much strife to get through!

I finally found some spare time (before engrossing myself in my own writing) to catch up on this and holy crap, woman! I don't know what to think! Larry has been holding on to Gloria, Bono's been holding on to Gloria. Has Gloria been holding on to them both? :panic: I JUST DON'T KNOW!

However, lovely writing as usual. :cute: I'm so curious to see what happens next!

Oh, and btw, I love how you brought Edge into this. :ssiiigggh: he's so lovely.

Did you need the unedited version of 20?

I do have your email. I haven't gotten my act together to get my stuff up on Burning Down Love. After the cruise, I want to get it up there.

Such a good chapter! My heart breaks for Bono, but I want to see Larry happy as well. I love/hate angst.

If you don't know who to root for, then I've done my job well. LandL was firmly in Camp Larry, but I think she's wavering.....

LoveandLogic said:
...or so you think. :ohmy:

:D

Maybe she'll bugger off with Edge after all this....
Nah, that's a new one I'm thinking of. Might keep a bit of my favorite triangle, but add another female character to keep you rabid Edge girls happy. Sorry Adam.

Maybe she'll bugger off with Edge after all this....
Nah, that's a new one I'm thinking of. Might keep a bit of my favorite triangle, but add another female character to keep you rabid Edge girls happy. Sorry Adam.

Nah, I think Larry and Bono make enough of a love triangle with Gloria, thanks. Too many people buggering off with Edge already :D

Is this...a new story I sense? Mmm. Exciting.

Yeah, it was the one I mentioned earlier, but I think I'm changing the era. I was thinking Elevation era, but I think POP will work better. Bono is a bit of cad. :sexywink:

I figured there were plenty Edge girls, so I would create a character for Edge to fun with. I can PM or email you the storyline.

Yeah, it was the one I mentioned earlier, but I think I'm changing the era. I was thinking Elevation era, but I think POP will work better. Bono is a bit of cad. :sexywink:
I am excited at the prospects of a "new story..." Esepcially if it's Elevation, but I guess Pop would be okay because... POP ERA EDGE... :rolleyes:
Oh yay, I found an eye rolling smiley!

Back
Top Bottom