Mysterious Ways - Chapter 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is a very tiny chapter. The next chapter will either be epic of broken into two. As always, these are mere characters based on real people. I hope you enjoy.

Ann smoothed her skirt as she sat in her doctor’s office. Her palms were damp in anticipation. It could only mean band news. They didn’t give bad news over the phone. They had to do it face to face to comfort the patient. For the first time since this all started, Ann was scared.

“Sorry to keep you waiting, Ann,” Dr. Kelley slipped into his office and sat behind his desk. He placed her file in front of him.

She smiled weakly. “That’s alright.” Her stomach clenched as he opened her file.

“Well, Ann,” he took a deep breath. She felt the color drain from her face. Suddenly, Dr. Kelley broke into a wide smile. “It’s not cancer. You have a small cyst that most likely formed from an infected milk duct.”

“Are you certain?” she asked cautiously. “There’s no chance of an error, or false positive?”

“No,” he shook his head. “Ann, you will be fine. We’ll want to monitor it every year at your annual. If it starts to feel different or larger, you let us know right away. But, there are no cancerous cells in the cyst, and we do not expect there to be any.”

She felt the tears come to her eyes. “I’m sorry, “ she apologized. “I wasn’t frightened until you called me down here.”

“It’s okay. I know that might have been scary, but I wanted to be able to answer any questions you had. And refer you if you wanted a second opinion,” he smiled again. “It’s nice to give good news in person.”

“Do you mind if I hug you?” she asked shyly.

He shook his head. “Not at all.”

Ann leapt to her feet and hugged her doctor tightly. She couldn’t wait to tell him. She made him wait in the car for her, because she was too nervous to have him there. It seemed like a big step in their relationship as it was to have him in that office with her.

“Thank you, thank you,” she said.

“If you have an questions, please don’t hesitate to call me, okay?” Dr. Kelley said.

“I won’t. Thank you,” she ran out of the office. She could not contain the large smile on her face. She was going to live! She was okay!

He was sitting in the car staring straight ahead. He seemed deep in thought. Ann opened the passenger door and slipped in beside him. Looking at with expecting eyes, “So? What did he say?”

“It’s not cancer. I’m okay,” she threw her arms around him. “Ronan, I’m fine.”

Ronan hugged her tightly. “Oh babe, that’s great. That’s amazing news.” He kissed her cheeks and dropped a tender kiss on her lips. “I’m so happy.”

She nuzzled his neck. “I am too. It’s like a huge weight has been lifted. We can really start.”

“I like that idea,” he smiled. “Are you going to call Larry, or wait till he comes home?”

Her face froze for a moment. “I’ll call and tell him. He’s been worried sick since I told about the lump.”

“And us?” Ronan asked.

She took a deep breath. “That will have to wait until he comes home. I was waiting for this to be over before I told him.”

Things had been more complicated since she discovered the lump. She felt Larry’s confusion when he returned home from the tour. It wasn’t certain if sense of duty or if he had rediscovered his feelings for her. She was sure it was the first. He was insanely loyal to his own detriment. Now, he could move forward with Gloria. Ann was certain that was his heart had been with her for the last few years. Finally, he could follow his while she followed hers.

Ronan massaged the back of her neck. “I understand completely. Family first,” he smiled again. “Do you want to have dinner to celebrate?”

She nodded. “But first I need to tell the kids.”

He always insisted on sitting across or beside her. Gloria wouldn’t raise her eyes to look at Bono on the other side of the lunch table. He had turned up at her hotel room to claim her for lunch instead of Edge. When she opened the door, he breezed past her. It took only moments for them to be locked in a passion embrace. In the three days that followed their late night session at the hotel bar, they struggled to suppress their growing attraction. The nature of her role in the U2 family forced her and Bono to be together - alone - often. She busied herself as much as she could the day after their goodnight kiss. Eventually, they would be thrown together. Bono was alive with desire. He tried to concentrate on his life with Ali. Something to put his heart back in balance. When he heard Gloria’s voice or his eyes rested on her face, it faded like morning fog. And when they found themselves alone behind closed doors, they were drawn together in refreshed passion. It wasn’t like Zoo Tv though - and that scared Bono a little. During those 2 years, it was all part of the circus, late nights, drinking and Night Town. They were different people now. He had loved her as a family friend for years. This awakening of his physical desire for her scared him shitless when he stared at the ceiling at most nights. In every kiss they shared, he had so much to lose.

Larry’s phone buzzed in the front of his jeans pocket. When he opened it, he saw Ann’s number. “Excuse me.”

“Ann?” Gloria asked.

Bono had spied the caller ID. “Of course.”

The pangs she used to feel had dulled so much that she no longer felt them.

Larry searched for a private spot in the German restaurant. He ducked outside. “Hello?”

“I wanted to call you right away,” she said. “It’s not cancer!”

A tsunami of relief washed over him. “Oh my God. That’s the best news.”

“It is just a cyst,” she said.

“Are they sure? Should we get another opinion?” Larry wanted to be sure.

“We’re going to monitor the cyst. Make sure it doesn’t get larger or change into something we need to be worried about. But the Dr. Kelley doesn’t believe that will be the case. I really feel like we are in the clear.”

“Ann, I couldn’t be happier....” he said softly.

“When do you come back to Dublin?” she asked.
“After Paris, we have three days at home. We’re headed straight to the studio tonight. We can celebrate then?” he asked.

“Absolutely,” Ann said. She wasn’t sure how Larry would take the news of her and Ronan. Hopefully, he would feel liberated.

There was silence on the phone while Larry attempted to process his emotions. “Give the kids a huge hug and kiss from me. I’ll see you in a few days.”

“Absolutely, have a great show,” she said.

“Thanks....love you,” he said.

“Love you too,” she hung up.

The air was suddenly sweeter today. Ann was going to be okay. They would all be okay. He nodded to some German passer-bys as he took a moment before reentering the cafe. All the plans he had formed in his head in the worst case scenario evaporated. He wasn’t sure where that left him. Ann and he had been closer in the last few weeks. Was that real? Was it survival? He pushed the doors wishing he could share his wonderful news with his mates. But no one knew. Eventually, he would tell the others. His eyes caught on Gloria and he froze. He could tell that her and Edge were having one of their in depth conversations about smart phones or computers or something technologically above Larry’s head. Now what, he wondered. Before all this started, he wanted to be with Gloria. He longed to fulfill his longing to be with her. He knew that there were still things between them that needed to be worked out. But the main part, his being free of commitments, had been cleared. Now, the area was gray. While he and Ann never completely rekindled their relationship - they had been closer than they’d been in years. He was conflicted. A part of him still wanted to find out if anything remained between him and Gloria. First, he needed to see Ann. He needed to know where they stood. Did she want to give it another try? Would it be worth it? Would it still fall apart?

“You okay?” Gloria asked as Larry reclaimed his seat beside Bono.

He smiled. “Yes. Yes, I am okay.”

To Gloria, she figured it meant that things were rosy in the Mullen family. Their rocky road had smoothed. Maybe he’d finally marry Ann. She refocused on her schnitzel. Under the table, she felt Bono’s leg against hers. Se refused to look at him. Her stomach toiled in excitement and shame. Part of her plotted her escape, while the other considered completely surrendering to him. What would that be like? Her skin prickled at the mere thought of being with him, in every way.

Back
Top Bottom