Mysterious Ways - 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
It's funny. No one ever goes into PLEBA anymore. I wonder why.

Since it is my birthday, I am posting another short chapter. The next few chapters are tiny snapshots of time that stretch between the South African shows and South America - when Gloria finally rejoins the tour.

Without further delay - you know the deal. This didn't happen and I almost feel bad writing it like it did. Almost.

Dear Gloria,

I'm looking forward to leaving New York. I'm tired of Spider-Man. I'm tired of going to your office and hoping you'll be there - but you're not. I'm tired of staring at my fucking phone - just waiting for a phone call or text message that never comes. I'm tired of doing the right thing. I hate seeing photos of you with movie stars, all dressed up while I'm here, burning eternally.

We leave for Africa soon and I wish that you would be there. We had such grand plans - you and I. Of course, that was all before I fucked it up. But what could I do? What could I say? I couldn't tell Larry not to pursue you. I couldn't tell you not to fall in love with him. If you have.

Does he touch you like I touch you? Does he set your skin aflame? Do you moan his name?

Bono pressed his fingers into his eyes. He felt his pulse race just thinking about it.

Do you still think of me? Am I fading away as you float in an emerald green dress from party to party? God, I wish I could visit a priest and have you exorcised from my soul.

He took a long pull from a bottle of beer.

48 days. It could be as much as 48 days until we meet again. What can happen in that time? Could you fall out of love? Can I ever return to normal?

Bono tossed his pen across the table. He tore out the notebook paper and folded it eight times, sixteen times until it was a tiny square. Shoving it deep into the pocket of his jeans, he climbed the stairs to bed.

Running in a dry heat was a major drag, Gloria decided. Yet the hills of Hollywood were a great place to train for Heartbreak Hill in a few months . This morning, she hated them and pretty much everything. Steven enjoyed the West Coast, but Gloria only came out for important things like premieres and award shows. Driving was awful. The air quality was only a step above living in the Lincoln Tunnel. And there were too many damn celebrities. She spent days going to lunch and making new deals. The beautiful people loved her charm, and immediately flocked to her. Andrew loved when she came to LA because she was a workhorse and a closer. He could expect at least six new clients.

Gloria threw herself into work to not remember the last time she was here. She half expected to turn a corner or open her hotel room door to find Bono’s impish grin. This time, he listened to her. No phone calls, texts, emails or visits. As she moved through her weeks, the lack of contact killed her. From the basic day to day chats to more serious scheduling conflicts, she craved anything. Even if it was complaining about flight delays or terrible coffee. She just missed his voice.

Larry, on the other hand, had been a tentative and very present boyfriend. They spoke everyday about all the mundane things and life changes. He would be apartment hunting in New York after the Africa tour dates, asked her to go along. It was a pretty big step that made her stomach flop every time she thought about it. He seemed pretty serious about their relationship. Five years ago, that was all Gloria wanted. Now facing the possibility of a future with Larry left her conflicted and anxious. Deep down, she knew it shouldn't be that way. Time away from Bono had not drawn her closer to Larry, she just drew into herself.

Her legs burned as she pounded up the last hill. She was nearly done with her long run. After a quick shower, she had yet another lunch meeting to sign on the dotted line. Her phone buzzed against her thigh. She pulled it out to look at the caller ID expectantly. Just Andrew, and her heart sunk. She let it go to voicemail and turned around to run back to the hotel.

:depressed: I'm depressed for both of them, but a lil bit happy that they're both having such trouble moving on. :sexywink:

Hmmm... is the letter Checkov's Gun? will we see it again...

I was thinking the same thing! Pockets are not safe places!

But anyway....thank you for sharing such a lovely gift on your birthday! Hope you have a great day!

:depressed: I'm depressed for both of them, but a lil bit happy that they're both having such trouble moving on. :sexywink:

I was thinking the same thing! Pockets are not safe places!

But anyway....thank you for sharing such a lovely gift on your birthday! Hope you have a great day!

I have something a bit grander than 'what's this letter?' planned.

*rubs hands together*

Back
Top Bottom