Message from YDW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youvedonewhat

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
:wave: Hi girls.

I think it's time I clarified what's going on w/my fiction.:flirt: First of all I've asked for it all to be deleted/removed as I'm not comfortable w/it any more. As I've mentioned before I'm going to continue via email. Each time I finish a chapter I'll post a thread informing anyone who might be interested to let me know if they want it. If you want to leave feedback I'd be happy to reply to anyone via the update thread.

Regarding the Diaries; I want to keep that to one side as it needs editing, cleaning up (grammatical errors...:uhoh:) and improving.

Ok, any probs w/this, lemme know.

:flirt::flirt:

YDW, I completely understand, and I'm right there with you.

You're a talented writer, and we've enjoyed your stories! Best of luck!

I don't feel cool with writing about real ppl any more. It seems kind of disrespectful in a public place. Dunno why it should be but there it is...

...Sorry, Molly, I forgot to say hi. How are you?

:hug: I'm doing ok, how are you? Haven't talked to you in forever!
I can totally understand where you're coming from. I just hope you're going to finish the fics you have going, cuz I know I'm not alone in wanting to know what's going to happen next and how they are going to end! :yes:

I totally understand how you feel, YDW. :hug:
You're a great writer and I hope you will write something one day that will be published, so I can get a signed copy... :wink:

Can I bounce something off my fellow YDW FC & Rehab members? I think the following ramble will only make sense to you-all.

First let me say that whatever YDW or any of the writers here decide is best for them, I support them and appreciate their contributions however they wish to share their stories and art.

I'm writing this because I want to describe how I feel about fan fic and the context in which I take the stories and see if some of you feel the same way too.

When I read a story I am incorporating the "characters" I have seen, listened-to and read about as portrayed by the band members. i.e. their "public persona". I don't see them in that circumstance as "real" people. This does not take away from their sincerity or genuineness as people, just that to me, when you are a performer or other public figure, there is a definate difference, a seperation between your public/performing self and your private, real, non public self. Might not be very different from their private selves, but definately seperate.

When I read a story I imagine the character comprised of my impressions of the public persona of the band members in the story, not the actual, private, "real" person, and I very much want to keep it that way and, I expect, the band members do too. I often think to myself at a concert or other live event that their ability to keep that seperateness is what allows them to put their innerselvs aside and be so close to us as performers and cause that special magic spark that happens between the band and the audience where we become one entity.

Soooooo, my point is that, to me, the stories are'nt about real people, their about the characters we have all created in our imagination based on their public persona, so I don't feel weird about them.

Does anyone else feel like this? :hmm:

p.s. sorry for the ramble....:reject:

^ Yes, I feel the same. For me, most of these stories aren't about "real" characters either. They might have a real core, but the rest is imagination and fiction (thus the disclaimer at the beginning). When reading fan fiction I know that this is not about real life, I see them more like made-up figures who have some "real" characteristics that were taken from certain real people. If I read about what Bono or Larry have been doing in a newspaper article or in a fan report here on the forum, it's "real" for me, but not if I read about the Bonos and Larrys in fan fiction.

But OF COURSE I respect YDW's position and decision. I'm a writer myself and I know that sometimes you can feel in a certain way about your fiction and don't want to have it out there, for whatever reason. But I still feel a bit sad because the discussion of the new chapters won't be the same if we only receive it by e-mail.

That said, of course I'm looking forward to any new piece of writing from you and I would love to read it.

Thanks Last Unicorn, I'm sad too about the stories being taken down and the discussion will be different of course. I guess that's what made me want to put that out there.

But I'm glad YDW is telling us about how she feels and she knows we'll be ok with whatever she decides - true U2'er style! :applaud:

:wave: I totally agree w/you regarding the 'real people' and the 'celebrity persona' and the fact that the two are completely different. You made a good point in that everyone is different in the privacy of their own worlds. Yet, somehow, it still feels wrong to me to use their given names. I could, if you like, change the names and email you so that you know who the new names refer to but I think that it wouldn't be the same.

I can't think of a way round this, I have to say. If someone can come up w/an idea then please let me know. I don't particularly want to stop posting new fics on the site but I can't think of any other way round it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...:flirt:

You know, one of the things I love about your stories is how you characterize them. You are very good at stripping them down to their most basic characteristics and then re-fleshing them out from there, so you actually end up with four totally new characters. Particularly with the Diaries (and Midnight), I always felt you could just change the band members' names and no one would really know that it was originally a fanfic - particularly because you're not writing about 4 guys in a rock band -in your stories they're travellers, or something else entirely.

:)

You know, one of the things I love about your stories is how you characterize them. You are very good at stripping them down to their most basic characteristics and then re-fleshing them out from there, so you actually end up with four totally new characters. Particularly with the Diaries (and Midnight), I always felt you could just change the band members' names and no one would really know that it was originally a fanfic - particularly because you're not writing about 4 guys in a rock band -in your stories they're travellers, or something else entirely.

:)

Thanks. :flirt: I agree they do tend to become 'other' people. If you ladies would like me to continue to write and use different names then that's fine. I can do that...:hug: In fact it would be fun to describe them from scratch and leave you to guess who they are...heh...

I wouldn't have a problem with different names, but it would be something else. You just gotta do what you're comfy with YDW. It's YOUR fic after all.

YDW, your stories are great and we enjoy them so much because of your talent. The characters are compelling because you make them so.
Just please don't stop writing in whatever way you feel comfortable and HAVE FUN! :hug:

Even though the stories are about real people,we all know it's just make believe.But YDW,I stand by you and your decision,you do what you feel is right.You have some great stories.I was just wondering....if any one can email me chapters 49 to the last chapter of Diary Of the Downcast? My email is BonoFan4Ever@peoplepc.com

That is if it's possible in any way.Thanks.

Hello YDW,

It's been a very long time since I checked in here. I so miss your writing, although I understand why you've made the decision that you have.

I know that it's very late to ask this, but it's worth a shot... could you please put me on your mailing list? Also, is it at all possible to get your old fan fiction gems that you are comfortable to mail/email out?

Your writing got me through some very tough times in my life. I know it sounds a little mad, but there wasn't a lot that I had to look forward to other than the next chapter that you were mailing out. I seem to be sliding back there again and when I popped into the forum and found that your fiction was removed, I was so disappointed.

You are a talent and I hope one day you publish your work. I hope to hear from you soon.

Much love:heart:

Back
Top Bottom