Love Rescue Me: Chapter 15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Hey! I hope people are still interested in this fic, because I'm still writing it! It's taken me a while to get around to the next part because I moved to Vancouver in October and it's been a bit crazy with finding a job and somewhere to live and having Christmas away from home... crazy!

Anyway I'm back. This chapter was going to be longer but then it got TOO long and so I've split it into two which is why this bit is fairly short. But I just wanted to get it posted. I hope you enjoy it and if you do, please leave a comment and let me know.

Thanks for reading, it's much appreciated, and as always U2 don't belong to me. The original characters do, but I'm not sure anyone would want to steal them. ;) Oh and also, I know it seems as if I'm making Edge's wife a villain or something, but that's not what I'm trying to do. And she's also fictional, just thought I'd point that out...

Love Rescue Me

Chapter 15

The tour went on, days flew by, cities blurred and merged until Beth had no real concept of one place or the next. She tried to keep a diary, if only so she could be on track with the book and be able to write accurately about each place, but this was proving difficult. Not only was the work piling up, she had a very handsome and amorous man throwing himself at her every spare minute of every day.

Not that I’m complaining, of course, but the notion of a deadline is becoming really amusing.

This thought occurred to her as she lay across Bono’s chest, eyes closed, enjoying the feel of his hands in her hair. Yet again, she had attempted to conduct a professional interview with him, only for him to give rather inappropriate answers to her perfectly innocent questions, and it didn’t take long for him to pull her onto the bed for something other than talking. Beth couldn’t quite remember why she had been so nervous about this. Being with Bono was wonderful.

“I should do some work,” she said at length, stroking her fingers along his collarbone, up his throat, onto his lips, where she lingered. She knew she was lucky to be the person he’d chosen; usually in these post-coital moments this fact hit her hardest. It was kind of overwhelming if she dwelt on it too long, so she did her best not to. Still, the thought kept hanging around the back of her mind, like an unwanted intruder, occasionally venturing too close for comfort.

“You should,” Bono agreed, making no move to release her from his embrace. “But all work and no play…”

Beth sighed. “I’ve been playing too much, recently. Don’t you think?” She wriggled free and sat up, ignoring Bono’s noise of frustration. “I mean, you hired me to write a book, and so far not much has been written. If I’m not careful, Larry will have me kicked off the tour for sure.”

“Of course he won’t. I wouldn’t let him. Now come back down here.” A hand, low on her back, soothing and possessive, and she was unable to refuse. She laughed as he rolled her over and started kissing her neck.

“Bono… Bono! I’m serious! I need a career and money and…” Her words were cut off by a searing kiss which left her gasping. “Really…” she added weakly, trying to bring this back to reality, to make him understand why she was worried.

“It’s okay. You’ll get it done. You can start, right after I’ve done this.” And with his hand sliding down to cup her bottom, he made his point so neatly that Beth was helpless to do anything except concur.

Larry stood by his dressing room door and watched people go by. Specifically, he watched the people he cared about trying to fight their way through tension, desire, pain. He couldn’t remember exactly when things had changed on this tour, but it wasn’t the nicest atmosphere.

For a start, there was Cara. Larry was the first to admit he didn’t like her, and yet somewhere in his heart he couldn’t help feeling a little sorry for her, positioning herself wherever Adam was going to be and hoping he’d change his mind about being with her. That sympathy, however, was outweighed by his concern for Adam, who was staying out even later, drinking even more, and sleeping with even more women. There was only so long Larry could stay on the sidelines and watch his friend slide, but it was very difficult to intervene and anyway, Larry was usually of the ‘mind your own business’ school of thought. He’d just have to keep a close eye on the situation.

Bono and Beth passed, holding hands and acting as if nobody else in the world existed except them. Larry frowned at them, unnoticed by either. He wasn’t sure how he felt about the two of them being all coupled up. Of course, it was nice for Bono, who hadn’t found anybody genuine for a long time (and even Larry could see Beth was genuine), but what it meant for the band and the rest of the tour, was unclear.

“Hi.” Jen sidled up and leaned against the wall next to Larry. “I know, right?” she added, following his line of vision. “She’s been my closest friend around here, and I’ve barely spoken to her in days. I mean, it’s not like I’m pretending to be as hot and interesting as Bono, but still… Hell, I’m not even as hot and interesting as Aislinn, apparently.”

Larry cast her a sidelong glance and was taken aback to see how tired and drained Jen looked. She was still pretty - always pretty - but her face was pale and her hair a mess. She was dressed in baggy grey sweatpants and a pink hoodie, and looked as if she could do with a decent meal.

“Jen…”

“I look like shit?”

“Well, yeah. Gorgeous, but shit.” He nudged her, and she smiled.

“Thanks, I think.” She sighed. “You know, I’m seriously considering going home. I don’t see what I’m still doing here. Edge is playing happy marriages with his wife, who couldn’t be any more smug if she tried, and Beth has forgotten I exist. And I can’t talk to Cara, she seems a bit… weird. Obsessed with Adam.”

Larry grunted his agreement.

“Anyway, much as this has been fun, it’s not fun any more. I think I should just leave and find something else, you know, I can go back to New York, get some work, it can’t be that hard, and everyone here will carry on without me, in fact I think no one would even notice.” She looked very much like she wanted to give up, right there and then.

“I would notice, okay?” He put an arm around her, eschewing his policy of keeping distance from other people’s problems. This was different; this was Jen. She was sweet, and special, and needed him. “Don’t be fucking stupid. You can’t leave. This is your job, and we want you here. All of us. And if Beth’s being too boringly lovesick to pay attention, forget her. We’re friends, aren’t we? You can talk to me.”

Jen looked at him, her eyes seeming to search for something in his own. Her smile this time wasn’t forced at all. “Thank you, Larry. I really appreciate that. And, y’know, likewise. I see Adam’s quite pre-occupied at the moment, too.”

“Yeah, that’s one way to put it.”

She slid her arm around his waist. “I still don’t think I can stay. It’s too painful to see Edge with her. And it’s also painful to watch myself turn into one of those bitter mistresses you read about in crap novels. Like, I don’t want to hate her. It’s not her fault, is it, it’s mine, and I hate her for it. That’s not me, okay, it really isn’t, I don’t hate people, but I’ve never loved anyone like that either and she’s taken him back away from me, Larry, I can’t deal with it, I just love him so much…” Tears began to spill down her cheeks and Larry pulled her in close, stroking her hair and telling her it would all work out. Strangely, he found comforting Jen came naturally to him; he didn’t feel weird or awkward about it at all.

“And, and,” Jen lifted her head, looking up at him again. “Aislinn asked me to this dinner, they’re having it after all, she’s planning it for tomorrow night and how am I supposed to go, she’s asking us all so there’s like eight of us or something and I have to sit and be there with them, how can I do that?”

“I thought she’d forgotten that stupid fucking idea.” Larry shrugged. “Never mind. You don’t have to go, but if you do we can sit together and get absolutely pissed out of our heads. How about that?”

Jen laughed. “Sounds good to me.”

“I don’t think it’s such a good idea.” Edge let Aislinn take his arm as they headed into the arena. The Syracuse air was chilly for the start of October, but not quite as cold as Aislinn’s stare when she looked at him.

“What do you mean? Why wouldn’t it be a good idea? Maybe we can get Adam and Cara back together, for a start. And it would be nice to get to know those girls who are always hanging around. Beth and…”

“Jen,” Edge supplied, feeling a pang of longing at her name. “They’re not hanging around, they work on the tour.” Which is more than you’re doing, he didn’t add. “And I don’t think we should be getting involved with Adam’s personal life. He’s perfectly capable of dealing with Cara himself, and if he doesn’t want to be with her, it’s not our place to interfere.”

Aislinn sniffed. “When did you get so judgemental?”

Edge stood back from her, incredulous. “I’m not! I’m looking out for my friend. That doesn’t include setting him up on a date with his ex.”

“Well, I’ve invited them both to the dinner, so we’ll see what happens.” She went into the dressing room just ahead of Edge, giving him enough time to notice Jen standing with Larry, a few feet away. They were hugging, Larry looking extremely protective, Jen looking extremely upset. Before either of them could see him, Edge followed Aislinn inside and closed the door, trying not to think about the girl on the other side, the one his heart skipped a beat over.

“And of course I asked Larry and Bono, and then the girls. Alessandro’s at eight. I’m sure we can all sit together and manage to have fun, can’t we?”

“What?” Edge stared at her, wondering how she could be so oblivious, grateful at the same time that she was. “Oh, yeah. I’m sure it’ll be fine.” Deep down, he knew it would be a miracle if they all survived this dinner with the minimum of injury.

When Cara got to the arena, she joined Beth (who had her camera, a notebook and lots of pens) and Aislinn at the side of the stage. The other two smiled at her, and she felt a bit better. Despite her best efforts since she’d joined the U2 wagon, Adam had hardly said two words to her. Her money was running out and she knew if something didn’t change soon, she’d have to give up and go home, a prospect she wasn’t exactly relishing. She hated giving people reason to say ’I told you so’. Even more, she hated not being with the man she loved.

Aislinn asked if I was sure I still loved him, but of course I do. He’s the same Adam, I’m a different Cara. He should be pleased. I just don’t understand why he won’t admit he feels the same way, instead of letting us waste all this time.

“This is being filmed,” Beth told Cara excitedly, “so I should be able to use lots for the book. I might try to interview some fans after the gig.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t tell them you’re sleeping with Bono,” Cara replied, winking. Beth blushed crimson.

“I’m not… We’re not… I like him, okay?”

Cara blinked. “I never said you didn’t. You should work on that touchiness, though.”

“Sorry, sorry.” Beth sighed. “I guess I’m just tired or something.”

“No wonder,” Aislinn commented, her eyes firmly on the stage. “I mean, with all the work you have to do.”

Cara saw Beth’s expression change from embarrassed to annoyed. “Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean?”

Aislinn glanced at her. “What I said. All the work you’re doing with the book must be making you tired. I don’t know why you’re getting upset.”

“It’s the way you said it,” Beth shot back. “If you think I can’t detect sarcasm, you’re mistaken.”

“Sarcasm? Don’t be ridiculous. You shouldn’t get carried away. I don’t think Bono likes hysterical women.” She made a big deal out of fishing in her bag for something, and Beth stood there, face like thunder.

“You’re like the opposite of Edge, you know that?” Beth began, after a few seconds had passed, seconds during which Cara had hoped this was over. She liked Aislinn a lot, but she wasn’t enjoying the way Beth was being spoken to. After all, Beth was the one who had given Cara the backstage pass back in Boston, and who had started the ball rolling in finding Adam.

“Beth,” Cara said, placing a hand on her arm, but Aislinn had already turned on her.

“And what the hell are you talking about?” she demanded. “He’s my husband, I think I know him better than you do.”

“Well, I can’t imagine why you’d think he wants to be with you!” Beth shouted, shaking off Cara’s attempts to make her sit down. “He’s a really good person, and you’re just, you’re just snide and you make him feel guilty, I can see it when you’re around.”

Aislinn looked as if she wanted to slap Beth, and she might well have done had Cara not forced herself between them.

“That’s enough!” she called, and they fell silent. “Look, I don’t know what’s got into you both, but let’s stop it, okay? We’ve all got enough going on without making things more difficult.”

Beth sat down; she was visibly shaking. Aislinn gave her a cool glare and took her seat as well. Cara stayed in the middle, sensing there was definitely something going on she wasn’t aware of. The dinner tomorrow night should be even more fun now…

The Syracuse show went off without a hitch, apart from Bono attempting to play guitar on stage and earning a telling-off from Beth later, when he complained about his shoulder hurting. The only thing everyone had to worry about now was the dinner, which unfortunately hadn’t been cancelled. As she headed back to the hotel from a day of retail therapy, Jen reckoned she was probably the person dreading it most. She’d tried to think of a way out of it, but Aislinn had been so sweet when she’d invited her, saying how highly everyone in the band talked of her. It had seemed hopeless to refuse, even though it was all Jen had wanted to do. She knew she was doing the right thing in giving Edge time and space - after all, this was his marriage at stake - and being at the same table wasn’t going to help matters.

Normally, she’d have Beth to go with and sit next to and help keep her spirits up, but Beth was otherwise engaged. Had been since Montreal. Jen missed Beth almost as much as she missed Edge. It was tough being on the road anyway, without feeling alone most of the time. The time passed slower and was filled with much less fun when she and Beth weren’t laughing or gossiping or generally being there for each other.

Jen was glad Beth and Bono were together. She really was glad. But she’d made the mistake of forgetting what some girls were like when they were in a relationship, how easily their friends became yesterday’s news. Jen wasn’t surprised, when she thought about it. If she and Edge had made it, maybe she’d be the same way.

I don’t think I would be, though. I know how it feels to be lonely, so I’d make sure she wasn’t. But there’s no point getting bitter, I suppose. They’re happy, Bono’s lovely, Beth’s still my best friend.

Jen was so caught up in her own thoughts she nearly bumped into Larry as she walked into the hotel. He smiled at her and Jen smiled back in relief; it was so nice to be noticed, for someone to act as if they cared.

“Hey, how are ya?” Larry took in the sight of all the shopping bags and whistled. “That’s gonna be one interesting credit card bill.”

Jen groaned. “I know, I know. But it took my mind off stuff. Like the dinner from Hell.”

Larry rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I’m looking forward to that myself,” he said dryly. “I’m amazed you said you’d be there, to be honest.”

“Me too. I think I was being noble or selfless or something stupid and crazy, I dunno. What am I going to do with them there? It’ll be so… so…”

“Disgustingly uncomfortable?” Larry supplied, and Jen laughed. “Well, as long as we keep drinking, we’ll survive.” He patted her shoulder reassuringly. “Pick you up at quarter to?”

“I’d be honoured.”

TBC @ the Dinner of Doom... LOL

Wow I totally forgot to post a reply here!

I can just feel the tension building. :uhoh: That dinner is most likely not gonna end well.

Back
Top Bottom