Lost Highway - Chapter 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WithoutSpeaking

Acrobat
Title: Lost Highway
Authors: 1screamingangel & wo_speaking
Rating: PG13
Disclaimer: Alas, we are not Sam and Mel, and this is not true...

Sam thought it best to pop back into the Broken Horseshoe and let Mel know she and Dave had fixed things and that she was going to go with him. Sam knew Mel would be beside herself with worry if she just disappeared and didn’t want to ruin her evening with Paul. So she and Dave circled back to the bar. He stayed out front while she went in to talk to her friend.

“Mel, I am going to go with him…” Sam was careful as she knew Mel would either have a fit or be resigned, she wasn’t sure.

Paul shrugged his shoulders at Mel and looked at Sam telling her to have a good time.

“Paul, give us a minute will you?” Mel asked, hesitant for him to remove his hand from her knee.

“Sure, darlin’,” he answered and as he stood up he brushed her cheek with a kiss and whispered very quietly, “Don’t look so worried, he won’t hurt her, you know that right?” without waiting for a response, he was gone.

Mel did not know that but felt reassured by what Paul had said. At this point, she knew Paul seemed to be a decent person so she chose to trust what he said about his friend.

Sam and Mel went over by the pool table. Sam had a hard time concentrating on what Mel was saying; she could feel his arms around her teaching her that shot.

“Are you sure? You were pretty upset with him just a couple of minutes ago, then he shows up and you want to be with him again. That’s not like you at all Sam. I’ve seen you walk away from better men than him because they have made you mad.” Mel just then noticed Sam’s lipstick smeared around her mouth and then she understood that there was nothing more she could say. Sam had it bad for this guy and Mel wasn’t in a position to say much, was she?

“So I take it we won’t be leaving when the sun comes up in the morning then, will we?” Mel was very pleased with this thought.

“No, let’s just see what happens,”, Sam shrugged.

“Sam, you know we have to leave eventually but not tomorrow ok? Maybe stay one more night and leave after that? The longer we stay, the harder it will be to leave, you know? How am I going to drive away? How are we going to drive away?” Mel wanted reassurance that she might be able to get out of this without a broken heart and needed Sam’s support.

“We have to go you know, they aren’t going to stay here. They have some other life waiting for them, totally on hold, just waiting for them to walk back into. You know that has to be their truth, Sam.?” Mel reasoned. They had grown up being told each soul had to find its’ own truth and follow it.

“Your point?” Sam asked, she just wanted to get back to Dave.

“No point I guess. Let’s just enjoy what we have while we have it and remember somewhere in our brains that this will all be gone soon and that we will be OK with that.”

The life-long friends stared at each other, each one trying to convey a message. Sam wanted to tell Mel to just enjoy it and not worry. Mel tried to let Sam know that Dave wasn’t just some guy in the desert who could play guitar. Sam was too distracted by her thoughts of him that she didn’t catch what Mel was trying to tell her.

“See you later Mel, I am off to find my own truth.” She had completely missed it, Mel thought. Sometimes that truth could be so difficult to catch, especially if you didn’t want to hear it.

After the door slammed behind Sam, Mel went back over to the table and downed the rest of her beer and looked around for the man she wanted to be her truth.

“Where are we going?” Sam asked as she cuddled closer to Dave in the cab of the truck, her fingers running absently up and down his thigh as he drove out of town down the dark highway.

“Not too far, just want to get away from the lights,” he said, “can see the stars better that way.”

Sam reached up and brushed his hair away from his face and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. She caught a small smile on his lips before she turned away to watch the lights of Bridgeport disappearing behind them in the side mirror.

He pulled off the highway a few minutes later and down a little side road. He stopped in a clearing and hopped out of the truck.

“Come on then,” he said, “we’ve got a bit of walking to do.”

Sam jumped out and he walked around the front of the vehicle, handing her an unopened bottle of his favourite good whiskey.

“That’s in case you get cold,” he laughed, walking over to retrieve a few blankets from the back of the truck.

“It’s a good thing I trust you,” Sam laughed as he stepped toward her and took her hand in his, leading her down a dusty path toward a nearby hill. “I think we’ve actually arrived in the middle of nowhere.”

“Well, you never know, I might decide to have my way with you ...” he said, raising his eyebrows at her.

“Do you promise?” Sam laughed, squeezing his hand as they continued along the path.

They walked a bit further until they came to the bottom of a small hill where the path carried on about half way up and ended in a pile of large rocks. Dave spread all but one blanket on the ground in front of them and sat down, reaching his hand out to Sam to join him. She sat next to him and he immediately pulled her to him, resting her head on his shoulder as he stroked her hair and planted one gentle kiss on the top of her head.

She looked across the valley spread in front of them, it was littered with funny looking Joshua trees and the stars above were absolutely spellbinding; she’d never seen such a blanket of light before – it literally took her breath away. He spread the extra cover over their legs and moved his arm around her waist, moving his hand along her side with a touch that made her putty in his hands. Again, this mixture of sweet and naughty captivated her – she couldn’t get enough and wanted to know everything she could about this incredible man that fate had brought to her.

“This is so beautiful, how did you find ...”

His lips were on hers before she could finish her sentence.

She sunk into him as he kissed her; there was a weight in this kiss – a heavy weight – and Sam knew then that leaving him would be one of the hardest things she would ever have to do. She banished the thought from her head and instead filled it with the blissful feelings he brought to her, wanting to enjoy the rest of the time she had with him and leave the difficult emotions just over the horizon for another day.

“Sam, about what you said earlier today. I don’t want to bring this up again, but I want to know something, love ...”

“I’m sorry ... I was angry ... I ...”

He put his finger to her lips, silencing her apology.

“You know I would never hurt you, right? You know I would never force you ... I’m still feeling rather sheepish about the other night at the motel. I’d always just had this fantasy...” he said to her in barely a whisper, the fingers of one hand splayed across the back of her neck and his other hand gently stroking her face.

“Oh no no no ... please don’t regret it ...” she sighed into him, reaching up to remove his hat and tangling her hands in his hair as she rested her forehead on his. She’d wanted to do that for so long and he didn’t seem to object. He kissed her again, slowly this time, her lips tangling with his as his stubble scraped against her skin with a satisfying burn.

“I’m so sorry I said that – I know you would never hurt me,” she told him once more in between his kisses. “Let me be part of your fantasy ...” she continued in a low voice as she ran her lips along his ear.

“Love, you already are... but it’s no longer a fantasy, is it? It’s very real, and I want it to last as long as it possibly can ...”

“So do I, Dave ...”

“Edge ...”

“Hmm?” she whispered absently.

“Edge,” he repeated. “It won’t mean much to you now, but it will. Just don’t forget, love ...”

She pulled away from him, a puzzled look in her eyes.

“A nickname?”

“You could say that, yes ...” he said quietly. “Some day, Sam, you will hear my music again. I promise you ...”

She hoped he was right. From what she had heard, she thought it would be a shame if she were the only one who ever did.

If you are interested in reading Chapter 22/23, you will have to PM me - too hot for this venue ;) :drool:

Chapters 22-23-24-25 are PM only ;)

I am going to post the rest of the Chapters (that I can) tonight for you guys. The story is now complete, at Chapter 40 :)

Aww, Edge :)

Taking a break from reading for a short while...what I've read so far has been great, though

Aww, Edge :)

Taking a break from reading for a short while...what I've read so far has been great, though

You really did a marathon session for all that you've read today - thanks SO much for the feedback!

I will be getting to An Cat Dubh myself later tonight ;)

:wave:

Yeah...I had a big long 'let's stop writing and read some' session :)

Awesomesauce. It might be a while till I write the next chapter, though; I have a lot to think through for it...

Back
Top Bottom