Into The Heart - Chapter One (New Larry FF!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One_Acrobat

The Fly
In my own little heaven with Larry Mullen ♥
Hey ladies!
I'm back :D I've been working on some ideas for over a month now and was able to come up with this a day ago. It's a Larry fic. (knowing me, obviously :D)

There are some similarites with Adrift but I assure you this story won't be like Adrift, I'll make sure of it :) Wouldn't want to copy LandL's ideas :reject:

Anyway, here is my new Larry fic: Into The Heart

enjoy and be honest!
And I didn't read it over so there might be some typos and grammar mistakes so please tell me so I can go fix them ! :)
P.S. It's EXTREMELY rough :p
P.P.S. Some things might be confusing but all will be explained in the following chapters :)

Chapter One

Only love, only love can leave such a mark.
Only love, only love can heal such a scar.

The warm summer breeze felt good on my skin as I ran beside the water. It felt good to be back. Four years was a long time, too long. Living in the past wasn’t healthy and it was time to face the music and start over.
I stopped running, sat down and looked at the sun rise up, over the horizon. Different shades of pink and orange exploded in the early morning sky. With everything that had happened, it felt amazing to have some sense of normality in my life. Coming back to North Carolina was probably the best decision I could have made.

I slowly stood up and adjusted my sports bra, ready to start up again when I heard some hushed voices behind me. I craned my neck a little to try and hear. I had a bit of an eavesdropping problem.

“No, Edge! I’m not going to go talk to her.”

“It’s been four years; it would be the right thing to do.”

Without thinking, I turned and broke out into a sprint. I didn’t want to see him. I didn’t want to talk to him. I wanted nothing to do with him. Four years and only now was I starting to get my life back on track. I waited for him. Four years was an unbelievably long amount of time. Now, he was too late. There was nothing to say.

“I can’t believe the news today. I can’t close my eyes and make it go away…”

‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’ sounded through the small beach-front bungalow Rachel and I had rented out for the summer. Could she have honestly picked a worse band to play?

“You’re up early.” I nodded at my friend sitting with her cup of coffee out on the porch.

“I wanted to watch the sunrise. How was your run?” She took a small sip, humming the song.

Rachel didn’t know about Larry and me. In fact, not many people did and it was meant to stay that way. Edge was one of the rare exceptions.
“Fine, I guess. I’m going to take a shower. I feel disgusting.” In reality I did but not because of my run, because I had seen Larry for the first time in four years. Nothing to me was more nauseating than that.

I took a big bite of toast and stared at the waves crashing onto the shore. So much for my ‘get back to normal’ summer. Wilmington Beach was a small town, small enough so that almost everyone knew everyone. Running into each other was bound to happen sometime.

I peeled off my sports bra and running shorts and stepped into the shower, the lukewarm water sputtering out of the shower head.
Larry and I had met when they came to North Carolina on the ‘War’ tour. I was 16 and he, 22. I was able to get my hands on some backstage passes for my friends and I, Rachel included. While my friends busied themselves by flirting endlessly with Bono, Edge and Adam, I talked with Larry. When Paul ushered us out, telling us we had to leave, Larry and I had agreed to go out on a date the following evening. It was a huge secret. My own parents didn’t even know. They still thought of me as their little girl so telling them I was seeing a rock star 6 years my senior, was out of the question. They finished the tour in NC and decided to stay for the summer. By the time September came around, some decisions needed to be made and I was left standing alone and hurt.

I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my wet body. Combing my long, knot-prone hair, I thought back to the summer we had spent together. While it was only four years ago, it felt like a lifetime had passed between now and then. It was very distant. For the first 2 years, I couldn’t help myself but to think of him every day. I wrote him 730 letters; one letter for every day of those two years. I kept them stashed in an old shoebox under my bed. My parents were very confused as to why I wasn’t speaking to anyone but Rachel. For those first two years, I became very reserved and preferred to be alone. I ignored my friends’ phone calls, declined invitations all because of some silly boy who had taken my heart. In a way, I guess you could say I was depressed. I believed I was more in a state of emotional distress.

The following year was a little better. I was angry for the most part. I was angry at him, at God, at love. The good thing was I was able to get it out of my system. Now? Now, I was trying to forget him. It was proving harder than thought considering he had come back to the place where we had fallen in love. It was only one summer. I could surely live with that. Couldn’t I? I had gone through some pretty hard things in my life. In comparison, this was absolutely nothing.

“Are you almost done in there?” The banging on the door broke me out of my thoughts.

I quickly pulled on my robe and opened the door, letting Rach slide past me.

“I’m going to the beach this afternoon. Care to join me?” She turned around, a glint in her eye.

“Um no thanks, I think I’m just going to stay home today, maybe go into town.” I wanted to avoid another run-in with Larry. The beach was the most obvious place.

I looked over at the boxes of LPs that lined the wall of my bedroom. Music was a necessity in this situation. I silently thanked myself for having an organized, alphabetized collection. I was in the mood for some Phil Collins. I walked over to my record player and put it in. Within seconds, ‘In the Air Tonight’ filled the small room.

I took a deep breath and looked at my suitcase. Half the clothes were spilling out of it, the other half were spread out across the floor. Like always, procrastination was a key factor of mine when it came to unpacking. I searched through the piles looking for something, anything to wear.
I finally settled on a pair of distressed, jean shorts and a black and red striped t-shirt. I grabbed a cup of coffee and made myself in the porch swing. I loved the beach, always had. It had a certain tranquility, a calming environment that made you feel really good about yourself. It was tempting but I couldn’t risk seeing Larry again. I wasn’t ready for that yet. There was only so much one could take.

I rubbed my tired eyes. My heart ached and told me it was in dire need of help.

I ran down the hallway and into the room that was mine for the summer. I lay down on my stomach and reached as far out as I could. My fingertips brushed up a cardboard box. I had found it. At last, I was able to pull it out from under the bed. I picked it up and brought it out the porch. My heart longed for the beach but my head told me to stay away.

Screw Larry, I wanted to go down to the beach. I hauled the heavy box down the steps and onto the sand. I didn’t stop walking until I was only a few meters away from the water. I quietly sat down and listened to the waves. It looked like a dance. The way the wind directed them, told them which direction to go, how to move. It was an art form.

I turned my gaze towards the box that sat beside me. It was inevitable, I had to do it. It’s hard you know? When your heart is pulling you one way but your brain is pulling you another. Why couldn’t one direct another like the wind directed the water? Things would be so much simpler.

I pulled the lid off the box. It was in poor condition. Reason being, I lugged that box of useless words everywhere. I simply refused to throw them out. My brain told me it was only healthy to do so but my heart told me I had to keep them. I listened to my heart, as I always did and kept them. It went everywhere; on vacation, when I moved out of my parents’ house. I even used to bring one or two with me to class. I treasured that box even though it was filled with meaningless crap. It was special to me.

I pulled out the first letter. The letter was a little worn as it was the one I kept with me the most. I had taken the time to write down the address to his parents’ home in Dublin even though I never meant to actually send them. Why? I can’t be sure. Maybe I had a certain comfort in doing so. Maybe it made me feel closer to him. I didn’t know. All I knew was that those letters were my most personal possessions and I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away.

Dear Larry,
It hasn’t even been 24 hours since you left and already I’m missing you. There’s a huge thunderstorm happening outside and I immediately thought of the night we made up on the beach after fighting for the billionth time. What a night it was. I can still feel the heavy rain on my shoulders, your arms around my waist and your lips on my mine.
I can’t begin to understand why you left and although I’m hurt, furious and crushed, I can’t deny my love for you when I know for a fact that it’s there. I want you to know that I’ve never felt so strongly about another person in my life. I want you to know that you will always be my first love. It may not have ended well but I will always hold a special place for you in my heart.
I know I said it would be best if we didn’t keep in touch which is why you’ll never receive this letter but I can’t help myself but wonder what would have happened if you had chosen something different, if you had chosen me. What would happen if I sent this letter, if I picked up the phone and called you right now?

I have to say it’s hard. Rachel and my parents are worried. The can sense that something is wrong. I can’t say I’m being too subtle about it either. My dad has come to the conclusion that it has something to with PMS and hormones. Marie agrees with him but that’s no surprise. Marie agrees with everything he says. It seems like she’s lost her opinion on everything since she’s started seeing my father. I think that Rachel and my mother have been talking about me. They both keep looking at me with pity and a sympathy that I really don’t want nor need. It’s ridiculous to think that you left at 9:00 P.M. last night and your absence is already having a drastic effect on me.
I hope all is well with Bono, Edge and Adam. I’m in love with you but I care enormously for those three. Michael seems to miss them every bit as much as I do, if not more. He really connected with them, especially Edge. I wish I could tell him we planned on seeing each other again; I wish I could tell him everything is going to be alright. For such a little guy, he has such a big heart and I think Edge broke it a little by leaving just like you left me. Despite our 13 year age difference and the fact that we don’t have the same mother, Mike and I understand each other so well.

I wish you a good life Larry. I hope you’re happy with her. I think you will be. I just hope she knows how lucky she is to have a man like you in her life. I hate you Larry, for leaving me, going back to her but I did fall in love with you. In fact, I still am. You can’t begin to imagine how much I envy Ann but it was your decision and I’m going to need to accept that. Never will I understand why you left but I what I do know is that what we had was real and it’s going to make one hell of a story some day.

-Gwen

P.S. I love you … ♥

:up:?:down:?

YAAAY!!!!!!!! FINALLY! :D I'm glad this is finally up ;)
It's great--already so sad and angsty (which is of course what I love :love:)
Can't wait for more!!!:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom