Into the Heart: Chapter 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One_Acrobat

The Fly
In my own little heaven with Larry Mullen ♥
Hi ladies! :wave:
I"m sorry about the wait. I was actually debating whether to abandon this fic out of lack of inspiration but last weekend I watched Zoo TV Live from Sydney and Popmart Live from Mexico City with my best friend. Needless to say, it inspired me to write more.:D Anyway, I hope you guys are still interested in reading!:huh: I'll post more often now - hopefully around 1 chapter every week. (maybe more, maybe less.) I'm still in high school so it really depends on how intense my schoolwork is that week. For the millionth time (hyperbole, much? :p) I don't read over nor edit my chapters before posting them.

Rated PG-13 for language.

Disclaimer: I own all the MP3s of the live versions of One I listened to while writing this. (Then again, I don't legally own a few of those) The rest complete fiction!

I ran into the bedroom and slammed the door shut. God! Just when life was starting to become simple again, Larry had to make it complicated. Years ago, I thought he was the answer to all my problems. Now, I realized he was the problem. I wiped the few stray tears off my face and crawled onto my bed.

I hadn’t at all anticipated what had been said at the inn. My intentions had been to go in there and make peace, bury the hatchet, anything but that. The question I had to ask myself now was ‘What now?’ What was I supposed to do? Should I stay here? Should I go back to New York? Should I talk to Larry? Ignore him? All I knew was that right now, chocolate was my best friend.
I slowly shuffled into the kitchen dragging my feet behind me. I opened the pantry and looked from top to bottom. No chocolate was to be found. The cupboards weren’t too much help either. I finally found some cookie dough in the back of the refrigerator. A note was taped to the wrapper.

“Just in case ...”

The corners of my lips curled into a small smile at my friend’s kindness. I grabbed the cookie dough and ripped the wrapper open. Screw my dancer’s diet; I was in dire need of comfort food.

I sprinted back to my room and tore off my sheets. I grabbed my box of letters and watched them spill onto the bed. Every white envelope was like a memory. I had poured my heart into each one. Some were stained with coffee or ink and many were stained with tears. I couldn’t believe what a pathetic kid I had been. I had held on to someone when I shouldn’t have; someone who had gone back to Ireland, never to be heard from again; until now.

Dear Larry,
By now you’re probably busy planning your wedding with Ann. I can’t say that I wish that wasn’t me. I can’t even count the number of times I fantasized about my dress or the venue or just being married to you. That’s probably a lot to say considering we only knew each other for around 3 months. Nevertheless, I could easily imagine myself being married to you.

I haven’t been brave enough to watch any entertainment shows or read Rolling Stone. I can’t bring myself to come to terms with the fact that soon, you will forever belong to someone else. Despite all that has happened, I hope you don’t tell Ann about us and what we shared. I may be insanely jealous of her but Ann deserves a nice life. She doesn’t deserve to live with the knowledge that her husband cheated on her. After all, she didn’t do anything wrong.

For that, I blame myself. I shouldn’t have been so careless when I knew perfectly well that I couldn’t have you. I acted like a stupid child. I was irresponsible and careless. Now, I have the weight of guilt on my shoulders. I fell in love. I was blind. For the first time in my life I was feeling and doing something I had never felt or done before. I was scared but at the same time it all seemed perfectly natural. Now, I realize I was wrong. It was all wrong.

With all that has happened I’m starting to wonder how important to you I really was. Was I just an insignificant fling for the summer? Was I some sort of replacement while you were away from Ann? With you heartlessly leaving me, choosing to go back to Dublin-back to Ann, one has to question your supposed love for me.

Nonetheless, I miss you Larry. My heart is aching at your absence in my life. I just wish I could make the ache go away. I don’t want to miss you. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t be here writing this dumb letter that you’ll never receive because I’m still in love with you.

I am unable to fall out of love with you.

-Gwen.

I turned the letter over and read the words I had written in haste.

How can you just walk away from me
When all I can do is watch you leave
‘Cause we’ve shared the laughter and the pain and even shared the tears
You’re the only one who really knew me at all.
So take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face

Against All Odds – Phil Collins 1983

I pressed the letter to my chest and burst out into tears. I didn’t even know why I was crying anymore. I think it was more out frustration than anything else. I didn’t know what the hell was going on and that thought scared the absolute shit out of me. I was used to being in control of situations. I was used to knowing; knowing what was happening, when it was happening and why. Now it was as if I’d lost complete control of my life. Whenever I tried to regain it, everything only got more complicated.

I decided I needed to clear my head. The ocean had always seemed to do that for me. Surely now wouldn’t be any different.
I slipped out of my clothes and put on my two piece swimsuit. I grabbed a towel out of the hall closet, wrapped it around my waist and calmly made my way to the beach. Letting the towel drop beside me, I ran and dived in the waves. I blocked everything out: my fellow swimmers, tourists on
vacation with their families and boisterous children.

I lay on my back and just floated. I cleared my head of any thoughts and just lay there letting the waves drift me back and forth. I couldn’t remember the last time I had been so care-free even if it was just for a moment.

“Hey isn’t that Larry Mullen?”

“Oh my god! It’s U2’s drummer!”

I could faintly make out camera flashes coming from the shoreline. Surprised, I tried to stand up but there was about a 3-4ft gap between my toes and the ocean bed. I took in a few involuntary gulps of water as I sank down into the water and tried to make my way back to the shore. It was nearly impossible to swim. A current was pulling me in the opposite direction.

I suddenly felt an arm pull mine and start pulling me to the left. I let it, too shocked to think of anything else. When I was finally able to touch the ocean bed, I turned to look at who had ‘saved’ me.

My heart fell to the pit of my stomach as I stared at him. Why did he keep showing up unexpectedly?

“What the fuck were you thinking?” His eyes nearly popped out of their sockets.

“I was out there trying to clear my head so I could figure what to do about this!” I yelled at him.

“Yeah? Well thank god I was passing by or you could have drowned.” Larry picked up his shirt and put it on, raising an eyebrow as he caught me staring at his bare chest.

“Oh thank you Mr. Mullen. How will I ever repay you?” The dripping sarcasm didn’t do a very good job of hiding my fury. I grabbed my towel and hurriedly wrapped it around myself. I had completely forgotten about the paparazzi surrounding us until now. I groaned as I tried not to think about what I was going to see in the papers and gossip magazines the following morning. I could just picture the headline: Rock star saves ungrateful girl’s life; Results in public fight. “What were you doing here anyway?” I folded my arms across my chest.

“I was coming here to see if you were ok and to see if you wanted to talk.”
I snorted and abruptly turned around starting into a brisk walk towards the bungalow.

“Haven’t I made it perfectly clear that I don’t want to talk?”

“Well I don’t know Gwen. Weren’t you the one who came by the inn earlier today? Is that because you didn’t want to talk to me?”

“Oh I’m sorry Lar. I’m sorry if I didn’t expect to hear you say that you loved me after not speaking to me for what? Four years.”

I heard a few gasps from the people eavesdropping around us. I tried as best I could to hold in my smirk as I watched Larry’s face turn red as he turned to face the crowd that had formed.

“Will you people just turn the fuck around and mind your own fucking business!”

I took advantage of the fact that he wasn’t looking to make a break for it. I ran as fast as one can on a beach but Larry, being fast than me, caught up with me a few seconds later. I could already tell this was going to be a never ending story even though I wished with all my heart that it would.

“Was that really necessary? Did you have to tell the whole beach not to mention the press about our personal issues?” He grabbed my arm and spun me around, stopping me in my tracks.

“Oh I’m sorry! I forgot that you like to keep everything a secret.”

With that, I walked up the porch steps and slammed the door in his face leaving a disgruntled Larry on my porch.

“Hey.” Rachel called from the couch where she sat reading the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine. “How did everything go with le rock star?”

She set the magazine down and cautiously walked over to where I was; searching my eyes for some kind of answer. “Judging by the expression on your face and the cookie dough on the coffee table, I’m guessing that it didn’t go too well.”

“You guess right.”

I shuffled over to my bedroom to put some decent clothes on. From my doorway, Rachel watched me, puzzled as I slipped a pair of jean shorts and an old Beatles t-shirt over my bikini. Her eyes suddenly widened as she peered out my window.

“What?” I asked. “Who’s there?”

I walked over to the window and nearly had a heart attack as I pulled back the lacy white curtains and caught sight of a familiar head of spiky blond hair.

“Holy shit! What’s he still doing here?” I turned to Rachel in disbelief.
It didn’t seem like he had any of intention of moving as he sat down in the sand only a few meters from my window. I had to admit, he looked pretty damn good which made playing the ice cube even harder. However I knew that running back to him was not the smart thing to do.

“You may not want to hear this but man, Larry is sexy! He looks even better than he did four years ago if that’s possible.”

“Rach!” I playfully slapped her arm.

“What?” She laughed. “If I was in your position, we’d be in bed by now!” She grinned.

So far, Larry had been waiting for nearly 8 hours. Rachel and I had made bets on when he would leave. I doubted his willpower and bet he would leave within the next hour. Rachel, on the other hand, thought he would stay out there all night if that’s what it took.

“So let me get this straight. You and Larry had a fight on a public beach with paparazzi as witnesses?”

“Please, don’t remind me.” I groaned as I took a bite of my dumpling.

From the couch, I could very easily observe Larry. It was almost 7 PM and he hadn’t even left for supper. I was beginning to wonder if he ever would.

“Should I go bring him something? We have plenty of leftover takeout.” Rachel asked holding up the cartons of Chinese food to prove her point.

“NO!” I shouted. “You can’t!”

Rachel rolled her eyes. “Calm down, it’s just food! The man needs to eat! He skipped lunch so he could wait for your stubborn ass to go out there and talk to him. If it makes you feel any better, I won’t even speak to him. I’ll just hand him his food and come right back. ” She offered.

I deliberated for a few seconds before finally speaking. “Ugh fine!” I lifted my hands up in exasperation. “Just know that if I see your lips moving, I’m locking the door.”

“That’s my punishment?!” She scoffed. “You are going to force me to stay outside with a sexy rock star? Oh, how ever will I survive?” Rachel grinned, throwing a cushion at my face.

She grabbed the cartons of Chinese takeout and a few forks and walked over to Larry.

Maybe I should invite him in. The fact that he had spent nearly the whole day out there had to mean something, right? I had to go out some time. I couldn’t spend my whole summer locked up in my rented bungalow because I was scared of running into Larry. Meanwhile, I couldn’t bring myself to go out there and see what he wanted. I couldn’t bring myself to see what he had to say.

Rachel pushed to sliding glass porch door open and it took all my self-control to not run out to Larry.

“So?” I asked coolly. “What did he say?”

“Well,” She started. “He thanked me for the food and told me to tell you that he was surprised you were still permitted to order from the Kim Chi Chinese restaurant.”
The corners of my mouth spread into a wide grin as the memory that I had so carefully tucked away came running back to me.

“This rice is definitely the best I have ever had.” Larry smiled, putting down his fork

“What did I tell you? This is probably the best Chinese restaurant in North Carolina; maybe even all of America.”

For a second, no one spoke. I just stared into his magnetic blue eyes, well aware that I probably looked like the biggest fan girl but I didn’t care. I searched his eyes for the clue that would solve the mystery that is Larry Mullen. This was only our first date yet I was certain he was different than any of the other guys I had gone out with. It was the cheesiest, most over-used line but it was true.

I observed as Larry paid the bill and tipped the waitress. There was another moment of silence until Larry finally spoke.

“Since it’s raining, I think I’ll just go get the car in the car park and pick you up at the entrance. Is that ok with you?” He asked.

“That’s very nice of you. Err... just one question. What’s a car park?”
Larry didn’t answer but instead burst out laughing.

“You’re so American!” He said in between breaths. “A car park is the place where you park the car; hence the words car and park.”
Before I could stop myself, I threw a fortune cookie at Larry’s red face, not understanding what was so funny.

“Oh you mean a parking lot.” I muttered. “And for your information, I’m not American but rather Canadian. When my parents divorced when I was 10, my mom moved down here so I am technically Canadian.”

“Is that so?” Larry replied. Before I could stop it, a handful of rice was thrown at my face.

“You’re dead!” I laughed, grabbing my glass of Diet Coke.
Within 5 minutes, our plates were cleared of any food and thrown at the other. We were now running around the restaurant, our stomachs hurting from laughing so much and grabbing food off people’s plates. We hid behind them or under their tables which meant we weren’t the only ones whose clothing was stained with food.

However, the manager was hardly amused. He grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the restaurant. One of the waiters did the same to Larry. As soon as we were outside the door, they starting yelling at us saying that we were childish, irresponsible, selfish and had ruined everyone’s evening. By that time, I was biting the inside of my cheeks to keep from giggling.

Once the men re-entered the restaurant and could no longer hear me, I burst into a fit of giggles.
The rain poured down on us, washing away some of the food on our clothes. Larry reached for my hand and I wrapped my fingers around his.

“Why don’t we walk?” Larry whispered in my ear.

“What about the car? You can’t just leave it!”

“This restaurant is on my way back to the Inn so I’ll get it then.”

We discussed the highlights of our food fight as we slowly made our way back to my house. It had been spectacular, foolish and incredibly out of character for not only Larry but me as well. That’s probably why it was the most amazing date I had been on yet.

When we finally reached my house, I realized I didn’t want him to leave.

“I had an amazing time.” I grinned.

“So did I.” He nodded in agreement.

Larry suddenly leaned forward. His breath was hot on my face and his eyes smiled as they looked into mine. Our lips touched. It was better than I had imagined. It was passionate and sweet just as I had thought it would be. I could have sworn seeing fireworks go off. It was that special.

Kissing in the rain is an odd concept. It’s been done in all the movies plus it’s cheesy and yet, every girl wants to be kissed in the rain; myself included. It was without a doubt, the greatest possible ending to a wonderful evening.
I pulled away. “I had better go.” I smiled. “But I’ll see you soon?” I asked hopefully.

“Of course!” Larry grinned. “I’ll talk to you soon.”

I watched as he started walking towards Connolly’s Inn. It was at that moment that I came to the realization that I was in trouble. For once, being in trouble felt like a good thing.

“Rachel?”

“Yes?” My best friend suddenly looked up, giving me a confused look.

“I have to go talk to him.”

So what do you think? Is this story worth continuing?
Feedback is always tremendously appreciated!:hug:

I'm glad you kept going. I love your Larry too. It's good because my head is getting lost in Bono on mine and I need to remember Larry. So thank you for writing this!

OMG! FINALLY! :applaud: So happy to see this :hyper:
I agree, your Larry is awesome. This is a great chapter! More soon! :love:

...and I should probably finish up my next chapter :reject: I've been neglecting it. You've inspired me to continue :D

Thank you! I'm glad you all like my Larry :hug:
GraceRyan: I've been meaning to read the rest of your story :doh: I've just had a ton of exams so I haven't had time to read any of the new fics :reject:

R&H96: You had better post it soon! Or else I will walk all the way to your house and make you : ready or not! :lol:

Yes, please do! I don't know if I've said it yet, but I'm in love with this story; you've combined so many things I love, Larry Mullen Jr, the ocean, and 80s (not to mention cookie dough and good writing! :))

And that was a great flashback.

YAY GOOD! I want more chapters to red XD

and :hi5: (but you just got that song in my head...aaaa...)

for some reason this story makes me think of 'Electrical Storm'...must be Larry and the location XD

I love that video! and that song. It makes me think of swimming :) and Larry...hehehehe. It's just five hundred times better for having Larry in it...yum.

ME TOO. I want to punch her in the face. ...except then there would be no music video...and then there's also the problem of that being made...let's see...when I was 9? D: (2002...goodness.)

...Yum :D agreed. I'd knock one of them out tackling them. And maybe actually figure something out about music too, which would be interesting...also I love, love, love the 70s and 80s, so I would be ridiculously happy. The music was great, for one...not to mention hot Irish boys XD

Ugh YES!! :D I swear I was born in the wrong era. I wish I could have been a teen in the 70s and been in my 20s in the 80s. The music was amazing and nobody gave you weird looks when you told them you liked The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, U2 etc.. Something that frequently happens to me :crack:

Hahahah yes yes YES, I would love to be in my 20s in the 80s! Possibly my favorite decade ever even though I was about -10 years old then. The concerts...:drool:

How in hell do people give you weird looks for liking the Beatles/Stones/Led Zeppelin? Practically everyone likes them... Usually I just get weird looks for U2, and that's it—but even U2 shouldn't get weird looks. I mean, it's rock (and they keep totally changing their style, so it's like several genres at once—everyone should be happy)...and, really? It's good. Seriously, people these days...

(by the way, I just noticed your location and it's hilariously wonderful :))

I believe it's because I'm in high school. The people at my school like Lady Gaga or Eminem or whatever's popular these days. The guys understand more than the girls. When my friends found out about my gigantic crush on Larry, they said: "You have to be kidding me! He's like 50" ... I rolled my eyes so hard, they nearly popped out of my sockets.

Holy fuck, I know. There's some terrible rap and so out there right now...ugh.

Yes, he is like 50...aaand? Goodness.

I hate how most teens just like whatever is popular/being played on the radio. They don't branch out and try to find out what THEY like. It frustrates me! :p

The man doesn't even look 49! And yeah, it is possible to still be very good looking in your 40s... -_-

Ugh...I know...fortunately most people around me have more taste than that...they at least, say, like the Beatles :) or other awesome old music; my best friend I've succesfully made U2 obsessed and hopefully we're going to a concert in June (yay! my first!)...I'm excited :D

He really doesn't! He's always looked young for his age. And hot damn, that voice...

My school friends are the ones with no taste (I switched schools last year)
My other friends have good taste in music. My best friend (Rattle&Hum96 on here - she writes Disappearing Act) is just as obsessed with U2 as I am and loves all the good rock bands from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s :)

Oooh. Well, at least there's someone ^^ :hi5:

by the way—you made me have an awesome dream that involved Larry (heehee) Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom