Into the Heart - Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One_Acrobat

The Fly
In my own little heaven with Larry Mullen ♥
Hey Ladies!

Here is chapter three... I feel a slight writer's block coming on so please bear with me for all the awkwards writing that may have occured in this chapter. :doh: This chapter is kinda short but nonetheless, I hope you enjoy it!

Disclaimer: No matter how many times I tell myself it is, NONE OF THIS is true!

“Listen, about the beach this morning I-”

“S’fine.” Larry mumbled, cutting me off. He shifted from one foot to another and making his nervousness all the more obvious. “I probably would have run away from meself too.”

I slowly got up from the couch and walked over to where he was standing. His hair was short and styled in small spikes and it seemed like he had raided James Dean’s closet. Blue jeans, white t-shirt, black converse and a worn leather jacket.

“You’ve changed.”

“I could say the same about you.” Larry took a step back and eyed me up and down. “You’re a woman.”

I gave a small smile and awkwardly shoved my hands in the pockets of my jean shorts.

“Gwen I really need to tell you something. This is something I’ve wanted to tell you for over four years.”

I breathed deeply and took a step towards him.

“Lar, I don’t want nor need your apologies. If you wanted to apologize, four years ago would have been the appropriate time to do so. It’s a little too late for apologies.” I replied, suddenly gaining confidence.

“I don’t want to apologize.” Larry said.

“Oh.” I replied, slightly taken aback. I had assumed that was why we were both standing here.

“I came down here to give you the explanation you deserve.”

“Hey man have you seen Gwen?” I looked over at my friend.

Edge was on the floor, playing with Michael, Gwen’s little brother. “Sorry Larry I haven’t seen her. Maybe you should try asking Hailey. She’s bound to know where she is.”

I thanked the guitarist and walked down the long corridor and gently pushed open Hailey’s door. The eleven year old jerked her head up and daintily placed her bookmark in her novel and placed the book down by her side.

“Hi Larry!” She cheerily welcomed me. She gave me a broad grin, flashing a mouthful of braces.

For two sisters, Hailey and Gwen couldn’t look more unalike. Hailey had shoulder-length, dirty blonde hair and warm brown hairs. She had lightly coloured skin, was short and rail thin. Gwen, on the other hand had long, thick dark brown hair that cascaded down her back to her waist. She had green eyes and was tall and slim yet with curves. Each clearly resembled one of two parents.

“Have you seen your sister? She’s not in her room.” I asked, approaching the bed.

“Last time I saw her, she was in her room listening to ‘Babe I’m Gonna Leave You’.” Hailey leaned back into the dozens of stuffed animals that lay on her bed. “You’ve been seeing an awful lot of each other lately. Are you two dating?” She raised a skeptive eyebrow.

“We’re just friends.” I lied, slowly turning around.

“That had better be the truth.” She warned. “Knowing my very over-protective dad, he would kill her and you for that matter if he ever found out you two were dating. Being in a relationship with 22 year old rock star isn’t exactly his idea of the responsible, sweet, angelic daughter he expects Gwen to be.” She chuckled before opening her book.

“We’re just friends.” I repeated before turning around and placing my hand on the doorknob.

“You might want to try the beach.” Hailey said after a moment. “It’s where she goes to think.”

“Thank you, Hailes.” I smiled before stepping back into the hallway.
I walked back into the living room where Edge was busy tickling the 3 year old.

“So where is she?” Edge called as rushed past me, chasing after Mike.
Mikey had really taken a liking to Edge. A few days after the concert, when Gwen had invited the whole band to her house for dinner one night, she introduced us to her recently divorced mother, Karen, Hailey and Michael. The minute we had stepped in the door, Michael had run into the guitarist’s arms, oblivious that he was a complete stranger. Ever since that evening, we were warmly welcomed into the Moore household which Edge and I took advantage of, stopping by as much as we could.

“Yeah, I’m going to try the beach. I have a feeling she might be there.” I gave a small smile.

I stepped out onto the front porch and made my way across the road, to the beach.

It was a grey and foggy day meaning that the beach was rid of all tourists but also that it was nearly impossible to see anything that wasn’t a few meters in front of you.

I picked a direction at random and headed down the shoreline, keeping my eyes peeled for Gwen.

God was definitely on my side as I spotted a girl I could only assume was Gwen. Her hair unkempt and blowing wildly in the wind, the tips of her toes barely touching the water. She shivered slightly as the cool wind pierced her skin.

“Gwen?” I asked, walking up to her.

She jerked her head up in surprise and invited me to sit down next to her.

“Hailey told you, didn’t she?”
When I nodded, she simply let out a small laugh. “She never was too good at keeping secrets.”

“You’re hiding?”

“Sort of…” Gwen replied, turning her gaze towards the ocean, watching the waves move back and forth, from side to side. “You could say that I’m hiding from reality.”

“What do you mean?”

“Larry, it’s now mid-August. You’ll be going back to Dublin in two weeks and I, to college in New York in September.”

She must have noticed the confused expression on my face because she suddenly stopped talking.

“You’re sixteen and going to college?”
She simply smirked as if she was used to hearing that question which, she probably was. “Well I skipped my kindergarten and went straight to first grade. I’ll also be turning seventeen in December.” Gwen took my hand in hers and smiled weakly. “This pretty much goes to show you how one summer’s time isn’t nearly enough to know another person.”

I didn’t answer. I didn’t know how to respond to that. Sure, we didn’t know every minor, insignificant detail about each other but I felt that we knew so much more. I knew more about her than I knew about Ann, the woman I had known for over eight years.

“Besides thinking about the summer’s end, why did you come down here?”
Gwen pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, resting her chin on her kneecaps.

“We’re not going to last, are we?”

That right there was the question I had been hoping she wouldn’t ask. Those six little, evil words were full of doubt and proof that the end we were both dreading would happen sooner than we wanted.

“What makes you say that?” I gulped.

“I know about Ann.” Gwen refused to look at me. “Tell me about her.”

“Ok.” I answered. “If that’s what you want.”

She scooted over and rested her head on my shoulder.

“Ann and I were always quite complicated because we were so different. People tend to say that opposites attract. They’re not wrong, they do attract each other but it’s when they are together that they repel each other. Ann and I had so many differences and our outlooks on life just didn’t match. Eight years. We were together for eight years yet it feels like it happened in another world, another life-time. I haven’t spoken to her since the summer began.”

“Do you miss her?”

I thought for a moment before I answered that one. “No.” I said, in complete honesty. “Actually, my life feels somehow better without her. I think she was holding me back in a way and now that she’s gone, the burden and weight of having her around has been lifted off my shoulders. I don’t regret my decisions and actions at all. We were just two completely lost people that needed to be found and we couldn’t be found together.”

There was a silence. Neither of us uttered a word. The only sound to be heard was the sound of the waves and the rustle of the leaves in the trees as the wind made them move.

After a short while, I knew what needed to be said. “I just want you to know that you are so much more to me than Ann ever was. You will always be more to me. The future is unknown but what I do know is that whatever happens,
I’ll never stop loving you.”

“I’ll never stop loving you. That’s what I told you that grim day on the beach.” Larry told me. “Do you remember that?”

“I do.” I nodded. That memory was clear as day.

“What I want you to know is that I meant it when I said it, I meant it when I had to leave and I still mean it now, Gwen. I’ll never stop loving you.”
My eyes, which had been glued to the floor, looked into his. I couldn’t describe what I was feeling that moment. Surprise? Anxiety? Hope at the thought of us being together again? Maybe there was a mix of all three. However I knew that one stood out from all the rest: Rage.

I felt rage for Ann who was in Ireland, clueless that her fiancé was declaring undying love to his ex-girlfriend whom he had not seen in over four years. I felt rage towards Larry who thought he could simply waltz in and sweep me off my feet as he had done four years ago. Most of all, I felt rage towards myself. Coming here, to speak with him had been a terrible mistake. There was no way I was going to let myself fall back in love with him only to be abandoned once more.

“Bastard.” I mumbled.

“Excuse me?” Larry yelled out in shock.

“What about Ann, huh? Did you ever think that maybe she was in Ireland wearing the engagement ring that YOU gave her, thinking about YOU and planning YOUR wedding? I’m not a home-wrecker, Larry!”

Larry’s eyes practically bugged out of his head. “Don’t you read those stupid gossip magazines? Ann and I are over, Gwen! Three months ago, I left her after realizing that I was using her to get over you. I never loved her half as much as I loved you. THAT’s why I came back to Wilmington of all places. To be with you.”

I felt anger build up inside me as I processed all of what he had just told me.

My eyes met his. “I can’t do this.”

With that, I turned around, ran to the door, slammed it shut and broke into a fast sprint. I wasn’t sure where I was going, nor did I care. All I knew, was that I wanted to get away from it all.

I wanted to get away …

**I never proof-read any of my chapters so please excuse all typos and grammatical errors!**

I love hearing feedback so whatever comments, questions, advice you might have, POST IT! Thanks :) :hug:

Thank you :) I was actually going for something along the lines of what you described, ryancoke71. :hug:

Chapter four probably won't be posted this weekend because I'm crazy busy but sometime along the week, it should be up :D

Typos and stupid mistakes I've made and cannot edit:
Shifted from one foot to another, making his nervousness obvious.
Warm brown EYES. (not hairs :p)
and that's all I saw :p Thanks a million for your feedback! *greatly appreciated*:hug::hug:

Wooooo!!! I can't believe it took me this long to comment :reject:

Anyway, loving this chapter....:drool: the suspense is killing me! I love the tension you've created :)

And the whole Larry-raiding-James-Dean's-closet thing...:love:

More soon!!!:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom