In The City Of Blinding Lights - Chapter First

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casamares

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Hi all :D
Thanks for LoveandLogic for correction :bow::hug::hyper:
Disclaimer: These events DID NOT happen, the whole story is a FICTION.

Part I

And it's you when I don't pick up the phone...

Miami, 1988, December

“I'm like the needle, needle and spoon, over the candle with a shotgun...” Bono was humming quietly. He woke up a half an hour ago, ate a handful of cornflakes with a cup of cold milk and went to the bathroom to take a shower.

During his bath he realized he had an impression that he hears a sound of the phone in the bedroom. He immediately turned off the water.

“Edge!' he shouted and started wiping his eyes with his palm. “Eeeeeeedge!” he repeated louder.

After less than a minute he heard a noise of footsteps near the bathroom.

It must be The Edge, Bono thought.

“The door is open, come in,” he said.

The Edge came out, dressed in a pair of blue Smurfs pajamas, hairy slippers and colorful socks. His long, dark hair was wavy and carelessly bound in a loose plait. He looked as if he didn't sleep well last night, but he was smiling anyway.
“Give me a towel,” the guitarist heard his friend's voice. He found the towel and threw it toward the shower. The whole room was steamy, but the water was excluded, so he could guess that Bono had finished his morning bath.

The singer bundled himself up in the towel and left the cabin. He grabbed his checkered dressing gown and dressed in it. At the same time The Edge was chewing something. Bono noticed his friend was keeping a big bar of chocolate with nuts and raisins in the left hand and nearly half of the package was already eaten.

“Is he sick, drunk or is he out of his mind?' Bono thought but preferred not to ask why The Edge was eating chocolate at ten o'clock.

Whatever... The Edge is The Edge...

“Our phone is ringing.” said Bono and raised his left eyebrow, waiting for a reaction.

“Oh, I'm eating, man,” gabbled the guitarist and scratched his nose.
“I see...” sighed the vocalist. “But the phone...”

The Edge concentrated, stopped chewing for a while and wrinkled his forehead. Bono looked at him questioningly, teasing out his long, wet hair.

“I don't hear anything,” the guitarist shrugged and ate another piece of chocolate.

“Give me a little,” Bono delved into the package. “I'll be as strange as you,” he laughed, but his face suddenly changed expression. “God, Edge... You're right! Nothing's ringing now.”

The Edge giggled. Both men went to their hotel bedroom and switched on the radio.

'"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For’ on the air now!” The Edge shouted. He looked at his pajamas and thought, “I must change my clothes. I don't look like a rock star wearing these.”

'You're the blue-eyed boy for our audience, even in your pajama’s,” said Bono enthusiastically. “You've got it written all over your face,” he laughed. “By the way, do you know what Adam and Larry are doing at the moment?'

“A couple of minutes ago I went to their room,” answered The Edge, lying down on the table the rest of chocolate. “Adam was meditating. He didn't even notice I burst in his bedroom.”

“Adam was doing what? Oh, whatever... What about Larry?”

“Larry? There was no Larry.”

Bono looked as if he was surprised.

“Where could he have gone? We have the photo session soon. Beach, palm trees... We can't miss it.”

Suddenly, the musicians heard knocking at the door and both went to open it.

“Hi guys,” Adam Clayton came in and presented The Edge with a large, cardboard box. “I ordered sandwiches for you,” he explained and immediately saw big smiles appearing on his band mates' faces.

“Oh, you know we love you Adam!” Bono hugged him and they all busted out laughing. Bono and The Edge started eating their sandwiches, in turn Adam purified his glasses and light a cigarette.

“Have you finished your meditation?” asked the guitarist trying to refrain from laughing.

Bono gave him a wedgie.

“Yes, as you can see. From where do you know I meditate? Oh, it's beside the point .By the way, have you seen Larry?”

“No,” answered Bono and bit an another piece of his sandwich.

“He didn't spent last night in the hotel, so I'm slowly getting nervous. I don't have any tidings from him.”

“It seemed to me that somebody phoned us a few minutes ago, but I was taking a shower and couldn't pick up and Edge didn't hear it but I don't have a clue, why... Maybe it was Larry and he'll try again?”

“Larry is an adult, he can knock about in the night. He might have forgotten in which hotel we sleep,” interjected The Edge.

“I wish he remembered about our photo session,” added Bono and looked at Adam, the only man in the room who was completely dressed. “Oh, new leather trousers. They match your brown shirt.”

“Your dressing gown is fine too,” Adam winked.

Suddenly the phone started ringing again. Bono skipped and ran to the wall telephone. The Edge and Adam lodged their look on the vocalist.

“Yes?”

“Listen to me carefully,” said metallic voice in the earpiece making Bono's blood run cold.
“Who are you?” asked weakly the young singer. His friends disturbed themselves, seeing the expression of the front man's face.

“That’s beside the point now,” the mysterious man paused, but soon added: “I've got Larry.”
Bono opened eyes and mouth broadly. He couldn't believe his ears.

The man repeated sharply, “Larry Mullen Jr. has been kidnapped. And you and your buddies are the only people who can rescue him.”

To be continued :ohmy:

Thanks Jorinde :hug:
I'll do my best to surprise and scare you :D And this is only the beginning of action :macdevil:

But now unfortunately I feel the lack of inspiration to prepare the second part... :doh: I hope tomorrow I'll be able to write it.

Take your time!
Besides, leaving off there is giving me visions of Larry tied up and it's alarmingly, um, intriguing... :macdevil:

Just be careful not to hurt him!

The manuscript of the second part is ready, now I must rewrite it on the computer and send to correction :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom