I Will Follow ~issue #2~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larrykindofgirl

Babyface
This is written from Larry's point of view. Comment below with tips and suggestions. Thanks.

I was waiting patiently. I had already got some calls and I figured I should set up my drums. I hoped my kitchen was big enough, I mean there's nowhere else.
*Knock, knock, knock*
"Oh, shit! They're here!"
I ran to the door. I guarantee my face was as red as a rose. Damn. I opened the door as I held my head.
"Hello there, I'm Paul Hewson."
He had dark brown hair, worn a bit long and choppy. Sky blue eyes stared back at me, waiting.
"Hello, I'm Larry Mullen. I think i talked to you over the phone earlier today."
"That's right! About the band." I gestured him inside with my hand. He smiled, flashing white teeth.
"So, you go to Mt. Temple. How old are you?" he asked.
"Me? Fifteen. You?"
"Sixteen."
*Knock, knock*
"Hold on, gotta answer the door." I jerked my thumb towards the door. I ran to the door, again. Forcing a smile upon my face, I opened the door. Two guys 'bout my age standing there. One with a blond fro, the other with crazy medium brown flyaway hair.
"Ello," the blond said. He sounded faintly British.
"Hi," the other smiled.
"Hello," I replied l, with a nod of my head.
"Well, come on in." I nodded indoors. The blond smiled and big monster of a grin.
"Thanks," he said. "Name's Adam Clayton."
"No problem," I replied. "I'm Larry Mullen."Adam held out his hand and I shook it. The other smiled and as though not to be left out, held out his hand also.
"Hi Larry, I'm Dave Evans."
"Great to meet 'cha." I led them into the kitchen, where Paul was tinkering with his guitar. He looked up to see the three of us staring down upon him. He stood up, smiling, and held out his hand towards Adam.
"Hello, I'm Paul Hewson."
"Ello, mate," Adam said, shaking his hand. "Name's Adam Clayton. I believe we have Geometry together."
"Yea, I think we do." He extended his hand towards Dave. He took it.
"Hi Paul. I'm Dave Evans." We were all silent for a few moments , not knowing what to say. Adam was the first to break the silence.
"Well Paul, what do you play?"
"I own a rhythm guitar."
"Cool, I'm a bassist." Dave and I stood silent. They technically knew I played drums.
"I'm a guitarist," Dave finally said. I studied him. I took in the whole mess of him. From his crazy ass hair, to his worn out Chucks. I looked down at my own Chucks. Black, with many scuff marks.
"Larry," it was Paul.
"Hmm?"
"Do ya wanna start?"
"Oh yea, sorry." They were all staring at me. I rubbed he back of my neck. Dave pulled out his guitar and started to tune it. It looked homemade, but what do I know about guitars? I'm a drummer. Adam already finished messing with his bass. He looked like he knew what he was doing.
"We need a singer," Adam announced.
"I can't sing." I replied, right on the spot. I DON'T sing.
"I could supply back up vocals." Dave offered. Adam wasn't listening. He was messing with his Afghan coat.
"Lets not worry about that right now. Let's play!!" I said. And there we were jamming out. Dave was great. So was Adam. I don't think Paul knew what he was doing with his instrument. But, it wasn't my place to point it out. We did need a vocalist. I knew that much.

For historical reference, Dik (Edge's brother) was also there.

U2 was officially formed in Dublin, Ireland September 25, 1976. 14-year-old Larry Mullen, Jr. advertised on his secondary school bulletin board for musicians for a new band. Those in attendance at the resulting meeting included Bono (Paul Hewson), the Edge (David Evans), Adam Clayton, the Edge's brother Dik Evans, Ivan McCormick, and Peter Martin. The group settled on the name Feedback, McCormick and Martin were out within weeks, and the 5 remaining began to play as a group.

Larrykindofgirl said:
This is written from Larry's point of view. Comment below with tips and suggestions. Thanks.

I was waiting patiently. I had already got some calls and I figured I should set up my drums. I hoped my kitchen was big enough, I mean there's nowhere else.
*Knock, knock, knock*
"Oh, shit! They're here!"
I ran to the door. I guarantee my face was as red as a rose. Damn. I opened the door as I held my head.
"Hello there, I'm Paul Hewson."
He had dark brown hair, worn a bit long and choppy. Sky blue eyes stared back at me, waiting.
"Hello, I'm Larry Mullen. I think i talked to you over the phone earlier today."
"That's right! About the band." I gestured him inside with my hand. He smiled, flashing white teeth.
"So, you go to Mt. Temple. How old are you?" he asked.
"Me? Fifteen. You?"
"Sixteen."
*Knock, knock*
"Hold on, gotta answer the door." I jerked my thumb towards the door. I ran to the door, again. Forcing a smile upon my face, I opened the door. Two guys 'bout my age standing there. One with a blond fro, the other with crazy medium brown flyaway hair.
"Ello," the blond said. He sounded faintly British.
"Hi," the other smiled.
"Hello," I replied l, with a nod of my head.
"Well, come on in." I nodded indoors. The blond smiled and big monster of a grin.
"Thanks," he said. "Name's Adam Clayton."
"No problem," I replied. "I'm Larry Mullen."Adam held out his hand and I shook it. The other smiled and as though not to be left out, held out his hand also.
"Hi Larry, I'm Dave Evans."
"Great to meet 'cha." I led them into the kitchen, where Paul was tinkering with his guitar. He looked up to see the three of us staring down upon him. He stood up, smiling, and held out his hand towards Adam.
"Hello, I'm Paul Hewson."
"Ello, mate," Adam said, shaking his hand. "Name's Adam Clayton. I believe we have Geometry together."
"Yea, I think we do." He extended his hand towards Dave. He took it.
"Hi Paul. I'm Dave Evans." We were all silent for a few moments , not knowing what to say. Adam was the first to break the silence.
"Well Paul, what do you play?"
"I own a rhythm guitar."
"Cool, I'm a bassist." Dave and I stood silent. They technically knew I played drums.
"I'm a guitarist," Dave finally said. I studied him. I took in the whole mess of him. From his crazy ass hair, to his worn out Chucks. I looked down at my own Chucks. Black, with many scuff marks.
"Larry," it was Paul.
"Hmm?"
"Do ya wanna start?"
"Oh yea, sorry." They were all staring at me. I rubbed he back of my neck. Dave pulled out his guitar and started to tune it. It looked homemade, but what do I know about guitars? I'm a drummer. Adam already finished messing with his bass. He looked like he knew what he was doing.
"We need a singer," Adam announced.
"I can't sing." I replied, right on the spot. I DON'T sing.
"I could supply back up vocals." Dave offered. Adam wasn't listening. He was messing with his Afghan coat.
"Lets not worry about that right now. Let's play!!" I said. And there we were jamming out. Dave was great. So was Adam. I don't think Paul knew what he was doing with his instrument. But, it wasn't my place to point it out. We did need a vocalist. I knew that much.

Hey there, Larrykindofgirl- think I saw that you're in you early teens, right? That's awesome-I love that you love the classics! You've got a great start, as a writer you definitely have a knack for storytelling. Great dialog and storyline.

Thought I would share a couple of hints that I learned recently- I'm not a writer professionally, but I've been writing a historical fiction novel for a few years (although mine's based on the Impressionist painters in France in the 1870's, 1970's Dublin still counts as historical fiction :d). I'm involved in a writing group, and these are some hints they've given me:

1. Make sure you're historically accurate- like a previous poster said, other people were at that first meeting in Larry's kitchen. Take a spin through the history section of u2's Wikipedia page, U2.com or atu2.com. The people who will be most interested in reading your stuff will be the fans, and most likely they'll know the details, and you could lose credibility if you get the details wrong. It's tedious to do the research, but your story will be stronger in the end.

2. Slow down and really dig into the creative details. I love the details that you mentioned about Adam messing with his Afghan coat, Paul's sky blue eyes, Dave's homemade guitar, etc., but I want to know more. What exactly did Dave's guitar look like? What did the kitchen smell like? Was Larry embarrassed by the lingering smell of his mother's stew she made for supper? How completely awesome was Adam's fro? Those are the little things that will make your story shine, so don't be afraid to spend some time really setting the scene in detail- don't rush it.

Like I said, fantastic start- hold on to this creative outlet-it will serve you well throughout your entire life. Writing about something you love is so much fun! Please post more- can't wait to read it!

:up:

Good advice. There are tons of writers and readers on here if you want a beta (proofreader). I know I've utilized some folks here as a sounding board.

Hey there, Larrykindofgirl- think I saw that you're in you early teens, right? That's awesome-I love that you love the classics! You've got a great start, as a writer you definitely have a knack for storytelling. Great dialog and storyline.

Thought I would share a couple of hints that I learned recently- I'm not a writer professionally, but I've been writing a historical fiction novel for a few years (although mine's based on the Impressionist painters in France in the 1870's, 1970's Dublin still counts as historical fiction :d). I'm involved in a writing group, and these are some hints they've given me:

1. Make sure you're historically accurate- like a previous poster said, other people were at that first meeting in Larry's kitchen. Take a spin through the history section of u2's Wikipedia page, U2.com or atu2.com. The people who will be most interested in reading your stuff will be the fans, and most likely they'll know the details, and you could lose credibility if you get the details wrong. It's tedious to do the research, but your story will be stronger in the end.

2. Slow down and really dig into the creative details. I love the details that you mentioned about Adam messing with his Afghan coat, Paul's sky blue eyes, Dave's homemade guitar, etc., but I want to know more. What exactly did Dave's guitar look like? What did the kitchen smell like? Was Larry embarrassed by the lingering smell of his mother's stew she made for supper? How completely awesome was Adam's fro? Those are the little things that will make your story shine, so don't be afraid to spend some time really setting the scene in detail- don't rush it.

Like I said, fantastic start- hold on to this creative outlet-it will serve you well throughout your entire life. Writing about something you love is so much fun! Please post more- can't wait to read it!

Thanks so much for your suggestions!! i might not be writing for awhile but i'll try... thanks again:) oh, yeah. i do have another story ready to type dont worry!!

For historical reference, Dik (Edge's brother) was also there.

U2 was officially formed in Dublin, Ireland September 25, 1976. 14-year-old Larry Mullen, Jr. advertised on his secondary school bulletin board for musicians for a new band. Those in attendance at the resulting meeting included Bono (Paul Hewson), the Edge (David Evans), Adam Clayton, the Edge's brother Dik Evans, Ivan McCormick, and Peter Martin. The group settled on the name Feedback, McCormick and Martin were out within weeks, and the 5 remaining began to play as a group.

Yea, i knew Dik was there but i didnt have enough time and brain power to put him in. I didnt know enough about him to put him in...Sorry:)

Back
Top Bottom