Grace - Chapter 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serena Vox

ONE love, blood, life
Hi ladies, this one took a bit longer than usual. Been dealing with some stuff. But now I've got more story for you. All of the according thank yous go out as per usual. :D

Disclaimer: I don't own/know U2, I don't make money off this, never happened, blah, blah.

Warnings: Er...mushiness? :shifty:

---

Most of the afternoon and early evening had already come and gone with their dinner and album work. Deciding that Grace and Bono needed to spend some time together that didn’t involve deliberating over her family or anything of the sort, Adam did them a favour and got Edge out of their hair through much protest. The young woman wasn’t exactly sure what the point behind it was, since she was rather out of the loop on the entire subject, but the singer seemed to have an idea. Dinner had already been taken care of, so going some place to eat was out of the options.

Bono met her glance, letting a smile crawl across his features. “It would appear I am yours for the evening, my lady,” He said, bowing towards her.

She fought back a smile, the blood rushing to her face. Sure her face was as red as ever, she laughed sheepishly, looking down at the floor. Lifting her head back up, she stuffed her hands into her pockets, wondering what he was planning. “Sure looks that way,” She replied with a grin.

The lead man wouldn’t be the first to admit he was rather clueless to the whole bonding thing. It would be such a blow to his rather inflated ego. Instead, he would be one to just wing it as best he could. And probably make an ass of himself doing so. Getting the girls to flock to him was the easy part. It was the getting to know each other part he often messed up on. Not for the lack of knowledge, but for the lack of patience.

Thinking back to their visit at her house, he suddenly remembered that she hadn’t picked up any clothes. A new idea formed, he wanted to take her shopping. Albeit weird for him to do something like that, he figured it as good of an idea as any to not only bond with her, but for her to have something to wear without going around in his baggy clothes.

“I was thinking…” He spoke up, looking her in the eyes.

“Yeah?”

“It’s not too late to go shopping…why don’t you let me take you down to that store and see what we can find for you.”

“Oh, you don’t have to do that…”

“I insist. I think you would look absolutely stunning in some of the skirts and dresses I’ve seen there.”

He looks at that stuff?

Her face reddened and her eyes darted away, to the floor. Almost in disbelief, she regained her composure. Nothing surprised her from Bono these days. Just when she thought she had him figured out, he would surprise her yet again and this was no different.

“Well…I…are you sure?” She asked, bringing her gaze back up to the curious singer.

“Of course. I mean…unless you are absolutely against it,” He replied, scratching the back of his head.

“No, no…I’d like that.”

He smiled, reaching an arm out to her. She approached him carefully, letting his arm encircle her as he walked her out of the studio. “Don’t worry, we’ll have ya back before dark,” He said, watching how she tried to examine the time on his wrist watch.

She couldn’t help the smile that went across her face, he truly was a gentleman of sorts, she mused to herself. The ride to the expensive store that he’d been to more times than he could count was by far the longest car ride she’d been on with him yet. The store in question was among all the other big name places in the city. And it was definitely a place she hadn’t been inside.

Once they’d arrived, he led her in, greeting the sales woman up front, first, who seemed to be rather familiar with the lead man. Grace looked around at all of the clothing from her spot, looking up at the t-shirts that said witty things or band names sprawled out along the wall and the numerous racks of clothing throughout the place.

Bono immediately dashed ahead, reminding her much of a child in a candy store. He began to sort through some clothes as she followed him back, watching him sort through a lot of the clothing. She looked around nervously. Clothes shopping wasn’t something she’d really done a whole lot. It took nothing to get a simple t-shirt and jeans, which was all she’d ever worn besides the occasional blouse that was a cinch to find in a department store.

She peered around and within moments, the singer was tugging at her sleeve, pointing at the rather large outfit that he had splayed over himself. It looked like it’d fit him better than her. “What about this one?”

A laugh found its way out of her. “Bono, that one’s too big.”

He hung it back up without a word, picking out another one almost as big, holding it over himself. His eyes met hers again, a big grin on his face. Another big smile broke out on her face. He was definitely being silly. Outfits later and sizes later, he finally began picking a size that would fit her properly, much to her liking this time. Albeit, outfits with stripes, polka dots and the like as well as colours that hadn’t matched up at all.

Some more fussing and she picked out two outfits; one powder blue blouse with a matching skirt and a similar white outfit. She’d be the first to admit that skirts weren’t really her thing, but she was willing to give it a try. If nothing else, for Bono.

She made her way back to one of the dressing rooms, leaving the lead man to poke about at some of the other possibilities of outfits that he’d shown her before. He was rather pleased with the outfits that she picked, even though they weren’t what he’d picked in the end. In actuality, the others that he had picked were attempts to lighten the mood and make her laugh. Taking her mind off of everything else that had been going on was now priority. And it worked, rather well at that.

A woman caught his attention from the corner of his eye. He turned to face her. She couldn’t have been much taller than Grace. She had dark, brown hair and wore a rather large dress, displaying what looked to be her pregnant belly. Abandoning the other improbable outfits, he made his way over to her, admiring carefully.

“Hi,” She said without glancing at him, her eyes fixed on some other dresses that would most likely fit her in her current state.

“’Ello,” He replied, resting his arm on the wall next to the rack of dresses. He looked over her stomach once, “Boy, or girl?”

She looked up at him, putting down one of the dresses. A surprised look made its way across her face. A look that told him that not too many people seemed to be very concerned with it. “I don’t know…actually. He or she isn’t being very cooperative…” She shrugged, placing her hand on her stomach.

“How far along are you?” He asked, motioning down.

“About seven months. I bet I look like quite the beach ball, don’t I?” She laughed.

“Nah, you’ve got that glow, y’know?” He said, nearly catching an eye roll from her.

“Thanks, I just thought I’d come get a few more things to wear since I’ve gone and popped out of all my clothing.”

He held his hand out towards her, “May I?”

“What?” She asked, half confused until she glanced down at his hand, “Oh, go ahead.”

A big grin formed across his face and he placed his palm flat on her belly, curving to fit the large bump. She watched, biting back a laugh at his child-like mannerisms. He reminded her much of a small child, expecting his new brother or sister.

Grace came back out of the dressing room, fumbling a little in the sandals that went with her new outfit. She pulled at the skirt, smoothing it out once more over her thighs as she brought her glance up to see Bono fawning about a pregnant woman by the dresses. Her face turned into a question mark and she giggled, walking towards them, slowly but surely.

“These shoes are murder,” She whined, nearly tripping and landing right into Bono as she grabbed for one of the racks for her balance.

Bono lifted his hand from the woman’s stomach, turning to face her with a cute, expecting expression on his face. Not that it had been an issue, but it became clear exactly what he was admiring. He pulled Grace into an arm, putting it around her to support her.

The woman looked over the two, a smile forming on her face at the sight. She’d figured they were together by their behavior; the way he held her, the way she leaned against him. Bracing her hand over her belly once more, she picked up the dress she wanted and turned to face them. “Take good care of her,” She said, walking by them without another word and not even a name to go by. They both shared a brief glance before parting. She went back to change out of the outfit so that they could be on their way.

They’d come back not long before nightfall, the odd text from Adam amusing Bono greatly. Grace was in his bedroom, where the full mirror was plastered onto the wall so she could try her outfits better, without having to be nervous about anyone else. He sat in the living area, waiting for her to come out and show off his favourite of the bunch, the blue blouse with matching skirt.

She stood in front of the mirror, smoothing her hands along the skirt carefully, looking herself over. She made her way over to the door, peeking out to see the curious as ever lead man looking down the hallway at her. He got up from his seat and walked down the hall, stopping short of running into the door. He tried to peer in, chuckling at her reluctance to come out of the room.

“Come on, love. Lemme see.”

“You saw at the store,” She replied, giggling.

“Yes, but I want to see you here. Just me,” He said softly, sliding his hand down the door gently, careful not to push the door closed in her face.

Grace eased her hand between the door and the door frame and pulled it open, stepping into the doorway in the light blue outfit. His eyes wandered her form once, unable to keep from making a second sweep. He stepped back, crossing his arms with a look of approval on his face.

“You look breath taking…” He whispered, looking her over again.

She pulled her arms across her torso and lowered her head. She was unaccustomed to such attention from a man. Her face flushed once more, she was unable to bring her eyes up to him. “Thank you,” She said meekly, turning so that her back faced him. The clothing she’d previously worn – a simple, baggy tee shirt Bono had given her and the smallest pair of his pants laid on the bed. She picked them up, tempted to put them back on.

Skirts and dresses weren’t something she wore often. The best she would muster for ‘dressing nice’ was the nicest blouse and pair of jeans she owned. And that was always how it had been. Dressing in anything like what she wore now made her uncomfortable and he could tell.

He stepped into the room, keeping at least arms length away from her, watching her expressions carefully. “Are you okay?”

She looked up, glancing at him briefly. “I’m fine…”

Why do you always lie to him? Stupid, stupid.

“C’mere,” He said, holding his arms out to her. He could tell something was bothering her. It had always been obvious to him from the start. What varied was whether or not he’d ask what was bugging her at that moment.

She trailed her eyes from his arms to his face, seeing the sunglasses propped on top of his head instead of covering his eyes, much like how she would wear them. After a brief pause, she set down the clothes and approached him, closing the gap between the two. He took her into his arms, embracing her. Her cheek pressed up against his chest, her ear listening intently, searching. Her palms pressed flat against his back, grasping the material of his jacket gently. He looked down at her shifting about, wondering at first what she was doing. She finally stilled when she seemed comfortable, closing her eyes. His heartbeat thumped away against her ear.

A content sigh escaped her. She felt safe and secure in his arms; a feeling she could get very used to. I could stay here forever. Her mind wandered to the album that they had been working on and the impending tour to follow it.

“Bono…the new album…” She whispered, not once lifting her head up from his chest. His irregular heartbeat soothed her.

“What about it?” He asked, looking down at her. The stubble on his chin tugged at her hair a little, but not enough to bother her.

“You’ll be…going away, won’t you?” Her arms tightened around him.

Don’t go. The words flashed in her mind and she held him tighter.

“We’ll work something out,” He replied, pressing a kiss to the top of her head, “Let’s not worry about that right now.”

Adam’s words from earlier rang clear through his mind. Treat her like a princess. He lifted his hands up to her shoulders, glancing down at her as she pulled back reluctantly, looking him in the eyes. He studied the emerald orbs, boring right into her soul. She kept her gaze locked with his, the intense stare on her face mirroring his. The glint in his eyes still as loving as ever, if not more so. He was easy to become attached to, alright.

“The other day, I said that I had something for you to hear. But things came up and well, I didn’t get to share…” He said softly, breaking the would-be staring contest.

“Oh,” She made a small ‘o’ with her mouth and brought her hands around to the lapels of his jacket, holding them tight. This was where she wanted to stay. Until the end of time.

He lifted his hands, taking her smaller hands into his. Her eyes darted back down to the floor, avoiding his glance yet again. “Grace, look at me.”

The young woman lifted her head timidly, looking at him slowly. “Yes?”

“I’m…not sure what it is, but…you’ve inspired me. Something I thought I lost a long time ago…it’s back and I’ve you to thank for it,” He explained, parting from her enough so that they weren’t pressed together now, keeping hold of one hand. His other reached into his jacket pocket, pulling out a disc, “This is a demo of the album we’ve been working on…there’s something I want you to hear.”

Her eyes fixed on the disc, watching as he parted from her to put it into the stereo across from his bed. An unfamiliar song began to play on track one, but he skipped all the way to what he mentioned was the last track on the CD, letting it play. He turned back to face her once more, a smile on his face. A soothing intro started, catching her attention. She listened intently as his voice sounded, her name unmistakably coming from it.

Grace, she takes the blame. She covers the shame.
Removes the stain. It could be her name; Grace.
It’s a name for a girl. It’s also a thought that changed the world.

“Bono…” She pulled her eyes from the stereo, seeing him approaching her slowly as the song continued. She was stunned, in total awe that he would write a song about her, name-sake no less.

He chimed in, singing along with the recording. “Grace…she carries a world on her hips…” He was right up next to her now, slipping his hand down, cautiously, against her hip, pulling her close. “No champagne flute for her—” He murmured, pressing his lips against hers suddenly as the word ‘lips’ was sung.

Another line in the song passed as they kissed, this time; nothing awkward about it. She reached for the lapels of his jacket again, gripping them firmly as she deepened the kiss, allowing his tongue to explore her mouth once again. All rational thought began to flee her mind just from that one kiss. His hand found one of hers, tracing softly between her fingers with the music

He parted from her lips, breathing heavily and began to sing some more, “What once was hurt…what once was friction…” His hands slid down for the shoulders of the thin blouse, chunky digits tangling into the fabric. He watched her eyes intently as he sang to her, taking everything about the moment in. “What left a mark…

“Bono…” She mumbled, watching his fingers trail down to the line of buttons on the front of the shirt. Her hands reached up for the back of his head as he leaned into her neck, pressing his mouth against the skin. Her head began to spin from the sensations swimming in her head, her mind attempting to race.

No longer stings…” He sang, a bit out of time with the recording, pulling her body full on against him. The words continued to flow from his lips as she reached for him this time, throwing her arms around him. Finally he ceased the singing in favour of focusing on her and only her. Lips met and arms tangled. Thoughts raced and went out the window. It wasn’t but moments before they tumbled onto the bed behind them, the disc still playing. She looked up at him; the uneasiness once clouding her gaze disappeared from her eyes. He didn’t need to ask, she wouldn’t deny him.

---

Anyone who'd like the, um, rest of this chapter can either check out my journal (for those who've got it friended.) or drop me your email and I'll send it your way.

Serena, hope you are okay. :hug:

' a gentleman of sorts'.... 'child in a candy store'
perfect descriptions. Serena, this is sooooooo good. I love the way he is in this chapter. I have questions, I want more of this story. SOOOON!

We need more than one chappie at a time!

Put me on the list, OF COURSE :drool:

ultraviolet1221@gmail.com

thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom