Beautiful Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
Disclaimer: This is all Alisaura’s fault. She sent me the song “Big Girls Are Best” and after listening to it about 10 times in a row this thing got stuck in my head and won’t leave. Not true, never happened (as far as I know anyway…) blah blah blah. Thanks for beta'ing this Ali.

To say that it was the worst night of Melanie’s life would be an understatement. She, during a brief bout of insanity, had volunteered to run this year’s charity event at work. The good thing about it was that she got to choose the event and the charity. Since she was a fan of Bono and her sister was a fan of fashion, she decided to do a fashion show and have all the proceeds go to the Make Poverty History campaign.

So far, two models had gotten into a fight over hair gunk (as she called it) and 2 male models hadn’t even shown up.

“Mel!”

Melanie heard her name being called and chose to ignore it.

“Mel!!”

She turned around and saw her sister/assistant, Alison, making a bee-line toward her. Ali didn’t look happy.

“Cheryl is insisting that someone has stolen her lipstick,” Ali said with an eye-roll.

“So take care of it. I’m up to my eyeballs at the moment. Two of the male models have gone AWOL and I have no idea what I’m gong to do. The show piece gown has a rip in it and I can’t find the seamstress. The DJ has decided that he’s going to just play whatever music he feels like instead of what we had planned out, and the caterer has been channelling Emeril Lagasse and has been yelling “BAM” every time she adds anything to any dish.”

“Okay, you win.” Ali said. She walked off to go sort out the lipstick.

One of the techs came up to Melanie and just looked at her for a second. She didn’t notice that two men had come up behind her.

“What!” she said a little testily.

“What would you do if I told you that Bono had heard about this and was going to show up?” the tech said.

“I’d say that right now is not the time to fuck with me. Why would he show up to this?”

The tech just shrugged. “I don’t know. I just heard about it and thought you should know. We start in 10 minutes. Oh, by the way... turn around.” And with that he walked away.

Mel turned and looked into a pair of blue eyes hidden behind red sunglasses. She blinked, looked again, and decided that she wasn’t hallucinating.

“Bono??” she said in a slightly squeaky voice.

“You must be Melanie," Bono said. "I can’t say enough about what you’re doing here. You seem to be a bit busy so we’ll just go find our seats.”

She didn’t notice that Edge was beside him. He just smiled kindly at her.

Melanie all of a sudden got a brainstorm. She was missing two male models and here were two very sexy and very well known males. She decided she had nothing to lose.

“I don’t normally say this kind of thing to people I just met… but how would you like to help out? Two of my male models haven’t shown up and I’m really stuck. You wouldn’t want to do it would you?” she asked in a breathless voice.

Bono looked at Edge with a 'why not?' look while Edge looked at Bono with an 'Are you kidding?!' look.

“What will we have to do?” asked Edge.

“Just go over to the wardrobe people and they’ll find something and just go out and back. It’s not much and I would really appreciate it… a lot. No one even knows you’re here and it would be a big boost. It may even bring in more money,” Melanie said as she smiled hopefully.

Ali had come up to talk to Mel, but she stopped and stared with her mouth open when she saw who was with her.

“You’re… Bono… and Edge!” she said a bit loudly.

Bono chuckled. “Yes, we are love.”

Edge had to clamp down the urge to roll his eyes.

“Ali, you need to take them over to wardrobe and get them ready. They’re going to fill in for the missing models,” Mel said.

Ali just nodded and waved for them to go with her.

Mel went to have a little chat with the DJ.

After all the models had finished with their cat walk, the DJ announced the new models.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, do we have a surprise for you!”

Suddenly the song “Big Girls are Best” came on… loud.

The crowd all cheered.

Then Bono came out from behind the screen. The crowd went wild. He did his 'I’m a rock star' walk and stopped at the end with his trademark smirk on his face.

Then Edge came out. The crowd just started yelling and cheering. It was like one of their concerts. He started down the runway as Bono started up. They high-fived each other half way up.

Mel was standing watching from backstage with a huge grin on her face.

At the end, all the models, along with Bono and Edge, went back out. Then the designer went out. Bono saw that Mel wasn’t coming so he went backstage and grabbed her hand and pulled her along with him.

Melanie went down the runway blushing like mad. She didn’t mind though.

It was the best night of her life.

This is such a cute little vignette... :applaud: You captured a moment there and even in those few words, it rings true. Nicely done!

And thanks for making Edge roll his eyes at my namesake... :tongue: :wink:

Aw! :cute:

Although I picture Edge wouldn't mind this at all! Remember that fashion show he did in that awful shirt? :lol: His moves were priceless!

Back
Top Bottom