Adrift-Chapter Fourteen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveandLogic

Refugee
BABY, WE'RE GOING TO NASHVILLE! 7/2/11 <3
The writers block is slowly starting to fade thanks to all of your wonderful comments! :hug::heart:

Disclaimer: I own the kite set. That's all. Fictional otherwise.

Chapter Fourteen

Bono eventually fell asleep, his cries lasting well into the late morning. Sleep for me, still, was an impossibility, especially with the news just given to me by the rock star snuggled in my arms. It was almost noon, the sun at it’s peak and it shone through the curtains, creating shadows on the walls and Bono’s peaceful face. A song came to mind and I sang into the quiet room.

“Love don’t need to find a way, you find your own way. I forget that I can’t stay and so I say that all roads lead to where you are…”

Tossing and turning, Jessica surrendered to her restlessness. She looked over the alarm clock, it’s red lights flashing 3:33 a.m. Great, she thought, slapping a hand to her forehead. Just three hours ago her and Bono were embracing, kissing and touching. Thinking it was going to go further, Bono put a stop to it, to Jessica’s despair. She had made love to only one man before and it was nothing memorable. With Bono, she was almost certain that it would have been everything she ever dreamed. His kisses were always tender, his touch like air. Surely his love making would have been just as passionate.

So, he left her in the living room, let down and riled up. He had went to bed and she did the same, finding no good reason to stay awake any longer. What was the point. And now she couldn’t sleep, her thoughts racing at a thousand times a minute.

Jessica flung her legs over the side of her water bed, pushed herself off from the mattress and let her footsteps carry her to the guest suite. Opening the door slowly, she saw Bono fully clothed, his hands resting in the middle of his chest, staring up at the ceiling. He turned to her and smiled.

“Hey,” He said. “What are you doing up?”

“I could ask you the same.” She grinned, shutting the door behind her.

Scooting over to make room, Bono sat up and took Jessica’s hand. He looked over at her, the lamp stationed on the opposite side of the room lighting up her profile. She looked younger to him, her eyes wide and wild. Resting her head on his shoulder, Jessica hugged Bono’s right arm and moaned.

“Sing to me.”

“What would you like me to sing?” He asked, kissing the top of her head.

“Anything.”

“Er, ok. You're really putting me on the spot here.”

Bono rummaged his brain for a song, any song, that could fit the moment. “Love rescue me, come forth and speak to me. Raise me up and don't let me fall. No man is my enemy, my own hands imprison me. Love rescue me.”

Jessica nuzzled into his neck, kissing and tasting the skin. Bono shifted, running the tip of his nose over her jaw line and ear. “Many strangers have I met on the road to my regret. Many lost who seek to find themselves in me. They ask me to reveal the very thoughts they would conceal. Love rescue me.”

“Paul,” Jessica’s voice dropped. “I love you. Did you know that?”

His heat skipped an extra beat. “I did not. I had a feeling, though.”

“You amaze me. In every way. You’re eyes, your voice, the way you look at me. I thought you were like every celebrity: conceited, shallow. But I knew the minute I looked at you that there was something different about you. I’ve fallen for you, Paul. I’ll rescue you,” She mumbled on his lips. “Only if you promise to rescue me.”

He shivered from her touch. “I promise. And you’ve already rescued me.” He kissed her passionately then sang on her mouth. “And the sun in the sky makes a shadow of you and I. Stretching out as the sun sinks in the sea. I'm here without a name in the palace of my shame. I say love rescue me.”

Kissing his cheek, I left Bono to his slumber and took a shower, washing away my tired eyes and jet lag. When I first saw the master bathroom, I had to take a second look. It was enormous! Stretching from one end of the room to the other was a pure, white marble counter with two sinks. Lights hung from the ceiling and the floor was the same colored carpet as the bedroom. And not only was there a roomy shower, but a bath big enough to fit five people.

Rummaging through my suitcase, I settled on a pair of jean shorts and a gray Dickies shirt. Bono was still asleep, snoring and changing positions. Poor thing. It wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t wake until sun down.

Finding a piece of paper and pen, I jotted down a note:

Bono-I'm going into town. Don’t worry about me. I wanted to let you sleep. It’s two in the afternoon, I shouldn’t be out too long. If you need anything, call my cell.-Jessie

Leaving the note next to Bono's head, I hopped down the stairs and out the front door. It was a glorious day out, warm and breezy. It was a paced walk from Bono’s property to the nearest train. I’ve never even heard of the town of Eze. It was intimating. Luckily, New York has taught me to learn directions quickly.

Studying my surroundings, it was plain from the condition of the buildings that Eze was an old village. My feet walked on a narrow street with high stoned walls, the road ways made of red bricked stone. A train took me into town and I felt at home with the busy streets. Why Bono would choose to live in such a tourist attracted spot was beyond me.

Any sense of ‘medieval’ quality was offset by the multiply rows and rows of souvenir shops. Finding an exchange booth, I switched my American dollars in and went about shopping.

Every shop was just as exquisite as the next, marketing key chains, lighters, t-shirts, all branding the towns name. There was jewelry shops, restaurants, fish, fruit and vegetable stands. Foreign perfumes tinted the air, twirling with exotic smells of food. I purchased some fresh bread, tomatoes, salmon and herbs for dinner. Bono loved a good meal. Hopefully some home cooked food would cheer him up.

It was almost four by the time I was done grazing the city and I decided to head back to the house. Passing a toy store, something put me to a halt. A little girl was tugging on her mothers dress, pointing her tiny finger to a shelf in front of her.

“Mommy, mommy, please!” Her little voice begged. “Please!”

“Oh, alright.” The little girls mother laughed. “I’ll get you one. But you have to promise to use it!”

The child’s golden hair bounced along with her dancing body and giggles, jumping for joy. Taking a closer look, I spotted what the little girl was pointing at. Kite sets. Wow, I haven’t flown in kite in ages…

Bono was still asleep when I got back so I set my bags on the black, marbled kitchen counter and opened every window possible in the house, the mist of the Mediterranean creating a natural incense . From the kitchen window, I watched the crash of the waves and nearby neighbors swimming, playing with their children or sun bathing. Now I see why Bono chose this village. There was a sense of peacefulness and privacy.

Finding Bono’s CD collection in the open living room, I settled on a Beatles CD and popped it a boom box in the kitchen to start dinner, thinking that the smell would wake Bono sometime this century. Unwrapping the salmon, I set the skins on a hot skillet with butter and diced tomatoes, marinating the meat with rosemary, garlic and parsley.

“Damn that smells good,” Bono’s voice rang from behind me. “What’s that you’re cooking?”

“Just a salmon dish my mother taught me how to make.” I answered, covering the pan with a lid and leaning my elbows on the counter.

Bono sat on a stool across from me, rubbing his eyes. “Sorry I slept so long.”

A strong aroma of his shampoo and cologne sifted through the air, over powering the scent of fish frying on the stove only four feet away. And though he looked pale, Bono had combed his hair neatly, slicking it back, ending an inch or so away from his broad shoulders. His blue eyes weren’t as droopy as they were last night and he had shaved, his face free of stubble. Yes, he looked amazing, even with the scare of cancer over our heads like a dark, gray cloud.

“I understand.” I assured, making him smile. “That’s what I like to see. That lovely Irish smile.”

“Why are you so good to me?”

Taken back by his question, I searched for words that weren’t available. What do I say to something like that? Then it hit me and cleverly answered. “Because I promised you that I would rescue you.”

Chuckling, Bono nodded. “That you did. I can’t thank you enough for coming here.”

“Don’t mention it. You would have done the same for me.”

“I would. But I don’t think I would be able to cook you a good tasting dinner. It’s best that I stay away from the kitchen at all costs.”

I laughed loudly. “Well, you don’t have to cook. But you can keep me company. Do you at least know how to bake potatoes?”

“I think I manage that.”

Bono was right-he could NOT cook. He was going to plop those potatoes right onto a metal sheet without wrapping them in foil first! Silly man. Kicking him out of the kitchen, I gave him an easier task of setting the table. When everything was done cooking, we sat at a circular oak table on the back porch. Bono had selected an aged red wine to go along with dinner.

We ate along with the harmony of the ocean and Bono smacked his lips loudly. “Delicious,” He said, kissing his fingers like they do in the movies. “Your mother taught you well.”

“Thank you,” My cheeks went hot. “My mother makes it ten times better, though.”

“Don’t be modest.”

“Yes, sir.”

We laughed. Bono was still eating well after I set my plate to the side, swallowing down two pieces of fish, two helpings of potatoes and three helpings of vegetables and a large piece of bread.

“I haven’t ate in two days,” He remarked, sipping his wine and pushing his plate far away from him. “You brought back my appetite. Now I‘m overly full.”

“Thank God for that.” I giggled.

Twilight was settling and Bono sat back, watching me hit on my cigarette.

Snapping, I hid the cigarette from his view. “No! No cigarettes for you!”

“Oh, come on, you know how nice it is to have a cigarette after a nice dinner.”

“Nice try. You will not take a hit of a cigarette until you get some results. When do you visit the doctor?”

“Tomorrow morning at nine. You’re coming right?”

“Do you want me to? I wasn’t sure if you would feel embarrassed o-”

“No,” Bono stopped me. “I want you to come. I wouldn’t be able to go through it without you there.”

“Ok, sweetheart.”

Our fingers entwined at the middle of the table. Bono grazed his thumb over the back of my hand and snickered in a low tone. “I can’t believe this. All these years I should have taken better care of myself. All the shows, all the drinking and smoking. I knew that it would all catch up with me one way or another.”

Aching inside, I caught his eyes with mine. “Don’t do this to yourself. It’s nothing you could have prevented. I mean, a person can work out every day, eat healthy, never drink, never smoke and still end up with some sort of cancer. And Bono, I swear on everything that I am, we will get through this together. Whenever you need me I’ll be right there beside you every step of the way. We will fight and conquer this battle.”

Tears streamed down his face like rain. Moving to sit on his lap, I took his face in my palms, his arms clinging about my waist. His breath was hot against my lips and I combed my fingers through his velvety hair, twirling the dark strands.

“Are you scared?” I asked, aware that it was dumb question.

Bono shrugged. “I was.”

“Was?”

“Yeah, until I saw your face. Something in your eyes tells me that everything is going to be ok. Jessica, I want to explain everything to you now. Walk with me.”

Guiding away from his lap, Bono took my hand and lead me down a spiral staircase to the beach. Beneath my feet the white sand was like fine powder against my skin. The wind made Bono’s hair dance across his thoughtful face.

We found a nice sitting spot on a large, gray rock, our bodies not touching, not even a brush of skin. With his elbows on his knees, Bono dazed out into the distance before speaking above the waves.

“Do you remember when we first met?”

“How could I forget?”

“You ring first!” Larry punched Bono in the arm. “This whole thing was your brilliant idea!”

“I don’t want to ring! You ring!” Bono shot back, giving Larry’s arm a good punch in response.

Edge shoved himself between the two men with a grunt. “Good God, you’re both impossible.”

Edge rang the doorbell and a light switched on from the second floor. The four men were quivering from the cold, sharp winter wind, their hair and clothes coated with snow. Finally, the blue door of the large house opened and standing before them was a young girl dressed in a pair of plaid pajama bottoms and a black, long sleeved shirt. Bono’s lips stretched into a smile, clearing his throat after a long minutes silence.

“Hi, I’m Paul Hewson and these are my mates. I’m terribly sorry about the late hour, but our bus,” He pointed to the beat up vehicle in the driveway, “broke down in your drive and we were wondering if we could rent out a room.”

Speechless, the girl didn’t mutter a word, staring unbelievably at the four men on her doorstep. Another light from upstairs switched on a woman in a white robe walked down the stairs, a man following closely behind.

The woman set her hands on the young girls shoulders, pushing her aside. “Who is it, Jessie, dear? Oh,” She gasped at the band. “Hello. Can I help you?”

“Uh, yes, I’m sorry that it’s so late. I was just explaining to your…daughter?” Bono asked.

“Yes.” The woman answered.

“I was explaining to your daughter that our bus broke down in your driveway. I understand that your house isn’t a hotel but we really need a place to stay. Oh, how rude of me, this is Larry, Edge, Adam and I’m Bono.”

Like a rock statue, the young girl fainted, hitting the ground with a loud thud.

“Oh, my God!” Her mother kneeled to the floor. “Sorry, she’s a big fan.”

Bono was on his knees quickly, shoving his arms under the girls fragile shoulders and legs, picking her up easily. “It’s quite alright. I think we startled her. Where should I put her?”

“Follow me into the living room. On the couch right there.”

Bono laid the girl down on the sofa before joining his mates in the kitchen.

“I’m Lynn,” The woman said, pointing to the man next to her. “And this is Alan and that,” she motioned to unconscious girl. “Is Jessie. Would you like some tea? Coffee?”

“Yeah, that would be wonderful, actually.” Larry thanked Lynn.

“I’m sorry about my daughter. I’ve never seen her faint before.”

“We should be the one apologizing.” Edge said. “Showing up at your house like this and putting your daughter in a temporary coma.”

Jessica thought she was dreaming. Yes, it was all a dream. Bono was not just at her door. There was no way. What would they be doing in the middle-of-nowhere, Ohio? Yet it seemed so real and she could almost hear his familiar, Irish dubbed voice from a far distance.

Fluttering her eyes, a pain shot through the back of her head and she sat up, confused, wondering how she ended up on the couch. There was voices coming from the kitchen and she followed them.

No way, she thought, pinching herself. In HER kitchen was the four band members that made up the most famous, well recognized, music group U2. Bono and Adam were talking to her mother, explaining a story of a tour and snow storm. Alan, her step dad, was talking amongst Edge and Larry.

Edge was the first to notice Jessica and smiled a boyish grin at her. “Hello, there.”

Everyone turned to look at Jessica who was shaking Edge’s hand. Each member introduced themselves, even though Jessica knew quite well who they were already. Bono was the last to shake her hand and when her skin met his, a shock electrocuted throughout her veins.

“Feeling better, Jessica?” He asked, his blue eyes shining like a pair of rare diamonds.

THUMP!

“She fainted again,” Bono laughed.

Bono laughed at the memory. “I’ve never made someone faint twice.”

“What did you expect me to do?” I asked, laughing along. “You were in my house!”

“Yes, I know. It was cute. There was something about you, Jessica. Maybe it was your innocence or your knowledge that made me so attracted to you. Do you still have all those books in the guest room?”

“Sure do. Mom packed them away for me when I moved to New York. I have the boxes in a closet at the apartment.”

“Ah,” Bono nodded. “Anyways, I tried so hard not to fall in love with you. You scared me. You were so young. Can you imagine what it’s like for a thirty-four year old man to find an eighteen year old girl attractive? I felt disgusting. I didn’t want to be a man going through a mid-life crisis. Shit, I’m still not ready for a mid-life crisis.

“But I did fall for you. I couldn’t fight it anymore. Everything about you was a mystery that had to be solved. And when I kissed you for the first time in the darkroom in your basement, I felt complete for once in my life. Being on stage in front of millions makes me feel like I have a purpose, but kissing you, being around you, made me feel like a man. And I no longer saw you as a girl anymore.

“Leaving you was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Trust me, if I could, I would have stayed in that house forever with you, holding you and loving you. I remember driving down the road, looking out the window, and seeing you holding your Mom’s hand. Right then it hit me that you were only a child. You had your whole life ahead of you.”

“My life was you,” I said with tears in my eyes.

He sighed. “That’s what I was afraid of. Jess, love, with me in your life, you never would have went on to college. Even in your first few letters you explained how you wanted to go on tour with us. It was so hard to ignore those letters. But I had to. For your sake.”

“You couldn’t write to tell me how you were?” It was hard not to get angry.

“It would have gave you hope. I wanted you to cut me out of your life completely. It would have been selfish of me to keep you. I wanted you live life like any young adult. I wanted you to enjoy things like college and friends and boyfriends. I did what I did because I wanted you to be free. It wasn’t easy, Jess. Trust me. I held on to those letters like my life depended on it. And when I read that you were doing good in school and at the top of your class, I knew that I had done the right thing. Bottom line is, I let you go because I love you.”

“And when you love someone you have to set them free.” I twitched at the old, cheesy saying. “If you would have just told me this six years ago I would have understood. It would have been easier to get over you.”

“Would it?” He raised an eyebrow. “Are you positive about that? Would you have been able to let me go, knowing that I still loved you? Or would it have been easier if you thought I didn’t love you at all?”

“…you’re right. I guess I should be thanking you.”

“There’s nothing to thank me for. By thinking I was doing something good, it just messed you up. You never even had a date throughout college.”

“I didn't want one. Not only because of you but because I wanted to succeed.”

With the sun setting in his eyes, Bono smiled a half smile. Placing my forehead against his, I talked amongst his mouth. “Bono, every photo I took, every long, long night I spent studying was all to bring me closer to you. If I graduated with a great job, a respectful job that promised fame, there was a chance of seeing you again.”

“And here we are.”

“Yes,” I kissed him. “And here we are.”

That night I slept.

Bono’s arms hung loosely over my waist, my body pressed up against his until the wee hours of the morning. We woke up eight-thirty and headed to the doctors office. There was no body else in the waiting room and Bono was seen right away by a short, white haired Dr. Weizer. Bono kissed me on the cheek and followed the doctor.

They disappeared behind a white door. A receptionist smiled at me from behind a desk. Sadly, I smiled back.

And so we wait…

Stay tuned for the next chapter, coming to computer screens near yoooou! :D

I'm glad I waited up for it!! :heart: So tender and lovely *swoon*

I loved the fainting bit :lol: :cute:

Pleaselethimbeokay...

^ :shifty: I was the one that fell asleep.......lol.....hey, Im 5 hours ahead :lol:

Lovely lovely lovely chapter :cute: The fainting bit made me Lol, and Im with Val and Achtungtree on this one - I hope he's okay! ) :

Back
Top Bottom