Adrift-Chapter Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveandLogic

Refugee
BABY, WE'RE GOING TO NASHVILLE! 7/2/11 <3
Disclaimer: I own the bottle of Jack. That is all.

Chapter Five

Brooke and I spent the rest of the day backing up and re-backing up our digital copies and storing the film out of harms way until we had time to develop. We then gave Lucy a copy of the digital photos to scan over tonight and pick fifty to sixty of her favorites. Then the band was to come in tomorrow and pick their favorite hundred or so.

It’s was nearing close to nine p.m. by the time me and Brooke finished up in the office and almost ten when I was done retouching any work I was behind on so that I had nothing else to worry about besides the U2 project.

“So you’re going out with the guys tonight?” Brooke asked, packing away her things.

I nodded. “Yeah. I actually wanted to know if you wanted to come along. I can’t go there alone.”

“They want you, not me.”

“I don’t care. I need you there.” Brooke laughed and shook her head. “Please, Brooke. This night could end really badly.”

“How? Just don’t drink. Stay away from the bottle and you will be just fine. They want to catch up with you, not me. Now the next time you guys go out I will totally be there. As I said, no drinking.”

Ha! So much for no drinking. The moment I entered the bar Edge gave me directions to, U2 was sitting at a circular table, all laughing and slamming down shot glasses. Larry was the first to notice me and he stood, his arms spread eagle.

“There’s our beautiful, grown photographer!” So much for Larry being the “quiet” one. Every head in the bar turned to look, my face growing hot.

“Larry,” I mumbled, being pulled into his arms. “You’re like that embarrassing dad who follows his daughter into her first prom.”

“Ah now, I’m just happy to see you.”

“I’m happy to see you, too. Just keep your voice down, eh?”

We laughed and I took a seat in between Edge and Adam. Just like he promised, Edge kept Bono across the table and we made split eye contact. As usual, he looked dashing in an army green button up, collared shirt and blue jeans. In fact, they had all changed into a fresh set of clothes. Stupid me. I’m still in my work clothes!

Oh, well, too late to turn back now…

“Are you hungry?” Edge asked, leaning into me. “They have the BEST burgers here. No joke. We waited for you to order.”

“You didn’t have to do that.”

“But we wanted to,” Adam chimed in, throwing an arm around me. “But we couldn’t wait for you to come to start drinking. We’re way ahead of you, sister.”

“Speak for yourself,” Bono laughed. “I haven’t touched a single glass.”

“That’s because you’re a…what’s the American term I’m looking for Jess?” Larry asked in serious tone.

“Uh…pansy? No. Pussy?”

“PUSSY!” Larry bellowed, jabbing a finger at Bono. “You’re a PUSSY.”

“Damn, Lar, you’ve had too much I think. Eat something.” Bono laughed, trying to cool down his friend. He was being really loud. They should know better than to give Larry alcohol.

A continuous thump echoed throughout the house and Jess, becoming quite annoyed, stood up from her laptop and went into the kitchen. It was one in the morning and she had done the mistake of showing her house guests where her parents kept their wet bar. And her parents had made the mistake of telling U2 to “help themselves.”

The loud thump was the four men slamming their shot glasses on the table so hard that it made the ceiling fan shake. Cigar smoke filled the room and Jess fanned away the mist.

“What the hell you guys?” She asked.

Bono looked up, his eyes bloodshot. “Heeeyyy, gggggirl. We thought you were, uh-”

“In bed!” Adam finished, laughing and resting his head on the table.

“Good lord, you got into my step dads Jack Daniels. Just great. Where is Larry?”

Edge shot up. “Larry? Oh damn where is Larry?”

“You guys lost Larry?” She threw up her arms and ignored the eyes of the band before setting off the house to look for the lost drummer.

He wasn’t anywhere: the den, bedrooms, living room, basement. Where could he have gone? It’s not like he was a kitten who could hide in a small corner. He was a full grown man!

Then, something, a moving something, in the corner of her eye caught her attention.

“Guys,” She called, staring out the window. “Guys!”

Bono, Edge and Adam stumbled, literally, into the room and looked out the window. Larry, dressed in nothing but pants, was outside, knee deep in snow.

“Get him inside before he freezes to death!”

Laughter filled the room, thicker than the cigar smoke, and Jess crossed her arms, frowning and scorning at the three grown men on the dining room floor.

“He’s having fun!” Bono laughed. “Just look at the block! Dancing in the snow!”

“You guys are out of it. Get your ass up and help me bring him in.” She grabbed Bono’s arm, dragging him to his feet and mumbling on the way outside. “Stupid, drunken Irish men…”

“Ok, so we left him out in the snow for a few minutes,” Adam shrugged. “Big deal.”

I had to laugh. “A few minutes? Minutes? He was out there for over an hour! His lips were blue!”

Larry busted. “Ha-ha! Did that really happen? I don’t remember it.”

“Drink some more and you might,” Bono said.

“No!” I stopped the bottle from being passed. “Lay off a little, Larry. Eat something before you start drinking more.”

After ordering, the band became serious and series of questions began. I asked how their tour went, their favorite places to play at, updates on girlfriends, wives, children and places they have seen.

“You would love France, Jessie.” Larry told me between his bites of chicken. “It’s such a marvelous place. And Greece has the bluest waters.”

“That would be nice.” I smiled.

“Oh, and New Zealand.” Adam added. “Green hills and lots of sheep!”

“I grew up surrounded by corn fields and cows.” I pointed out.

He shrugged. “True.”

“How about you,” Edge asked. “How was your college experience.”

“Exciting. And stressful. I hate deadlines and now I have a job that’s nothing but deadlines. But I was top of my class and got a job right away after graduation. I still don’t see how my parents could afford such an expensive college, especially since I didn’t live on campus. They got me my own apartment a block away. Brooke stayed with me all four years and helped out with food and such, but my parents took care of everything else. I’m in debt to them for the rest of my life.”

An odd silence fell on the four men. Adam cleared his throat. “Have you traveled any?”

“No. Well, I’ve been to Jersey, obviously. New York has a lifetime of places to see.”

“Do you like the city?” Bono asked. It was the first time tonight he had spoken directly towards me.

“I love it! The lights, the sounds, the smells. I meet so many interesting people everyday. At first it was scary as hell, especially at night and the subways. But after a year or so I stopped getting lost and became one with the city. I was meant to live here, I think.”

The server cleared away our plates and Bono asked, “Are you a drinker?”

“I can handle alcohol, just not very well.”

“You have to have at least one shot with us,” Larry said. “Just one.”

“No Jack Daniels! I’m a tequila girl.”

“What?” Edge remarked. “Tequila? Softy.”

My head snapped. “Softy? I didn’t say I couldn’t handle Jack Daniels, I just said that I prefer tequila.”

“Prove it.” Threatened Adam.

“I can out drink all of you!”

“Is that a threat?” Bono asked, pouring five shots and handing them out.

“No,” Grinning, I took the glass. “That’s a promise.”

We laughed and held our glasses to the air.

“To memories and old friends,” Edge toasted.

Glasses clinked, heads leaned back and shots were drunk. In unison, the five of us set the glasses on the table and hissed. A strong, burning sensation trailed down my throat and hit my stomach instantly.

“Damn,” My lips puckered. “You guys are killing me already.”

“Softy!” Edge yelped.

Narrowing my eyes, I slid my glass to Bono. “Another.”

“Getting testy are we?” He cocked an eyebrow.

“Just pour the damn drink, already.”

Brookes warning was in the back of my head for the first four shots. We had to buy another bottle from the bar and people were staring at us, whispering and even leaving. Not minding, Bono kept the drinks coming.

“What shot are we on?” I asked, giggling, watching the world spin and wobble.

“Uh…” Larry snickered. “I lost count after ten.”

“Oh man. Keep ‘em coming, Captain!”

Laughter filled the bar and we took another shot. Adam pushed his glass to the middle of the table. “I’m done. I can’t do anymore. I give. I will take any insult and carry it with pride.”

Shouting and taking another glass, I turned to Adam. “PUSS!”

“Sad excuse for a bass player!” Bono added, shaking with fits of giggles.

“Big-headed,” Adam shot back to the singer.

“Q-tip,” Larry insulted Adam.

Next thing you know, insults were being handed out like candy on Halloween.

“Selfish artist!”

“Dead poet!”

“Pretty boy, Larry!”

“Baldy!”

“Now that one was uncalled for!”

“ROCKSTARS!”

Bono, Adam, Larry and Edge glanced at me, their mouths quivering and then busted into the loudest glee of laughter. We pounded our fists on the table and Bono poured shot after shot after shot.

Edge was the next to give in, Larry following.

“You guys suuuuuuck!” My words slurred. “Suck!”

“It’s just you and me now.” Bono motioned his hands from me to himself.

“Bring it, arrogant rock star.”

He handed me a shot and smirked. “Every artist is a cannibal.”

“Well every poet is a thief.” I downed the poison.

“All kill their inspiration.”

“And sing about the grief.”

Edge, Larry and Adam cheered on the drinking dual between Bono and myself. Soon people were surrounding us and, like a boxing match, strangers ranted and hollered for their drinker of choice.

“She’s keeping up, Bono!” Larry boasted. “Come on, man! You’re Irish!”

“I’m German and we drink just as much as you guys!”

Heavy. My head was so very heavy. The room was no longer spinning, it was falling. Bono and I had finished off almost three-fourths of the whiskey bottle. Behind me was a crowd of cheering women, wanting to see a female out-drink a male. The shots were coming quicker and quicker, eventually taking two at a time.

Bono went still, staring at the shot before him. “I give.”

“Whooo!” The women cheered, patting me on the back and hugging me.

Standing, Bono and I shook hands, both wobbling and holding onto the table with our free hands, trying not to fall over. In a drunken stupor, I was being carried out by four different set of arms, Bono on my left and Edge on my right.

“You two have had quite enough for the night,” Edge shook his head. “It kind of got out of hand.”

“Don’t be such a sore ass,” I chuckled.

“Yeah,” Bono agreed, probably not even sure of what he was agreeing with.

“What the hell is a sore ass? Ugh, never mind. Let’s get you home, Jess.”

“I don’t wannnna! I want to walk the streets! It’s such a beautiful night!”

“You can hardly walk!”

“I’m walking just fine, thank you, my Edgy, swedgy, medgy. He-he-he…”

“I can take her.” Bono spoke. “I can take her home.”

“I don’t think so.”

I pointed behind Edge, “Hey Edge, what’s that over there?” He turned.

“RUN!”

Bono and I ran as fast as we could down the sidewalk, hand in hand, laughing like two hyenas in the night. Rushing down a corner, we stopped to catch our breath, still laughing and out of air.

“I think we lost him,” I chuckled. “Silly Edgy.”

Bono snickered. The ground met me, my feet losing balance. Laughing still, Bono took me by the arms, lifting me back to a standing position. Chests touching, my heart raced, my senses filling with the scent that was Bono: musk, cigars and a strong aroma of Mr. Daniels.

“You smell nice,” I muttered into his ear, inhaling his hair. Taking the long, black strands between my fingers, Bono stiffened against me. “Your hair has gotten long. Other than that you haven’t changed.”

He smiled. “Let’s get you home. Where do you live?”

Home? I was way too drunk to remember where I lived. Bono must have caught on because my cell phone was being drawn from my pants pocket. He was converted with someone but I couldn’t be sure to whom. New York was one big blur of colors: blue, yellow, green and red all swished into one long stream of light. Soon I couldn’t walk, my weight being lifted from the ground.

We arrived at a building and Bono set me down in front of a door. “Hold on to me. Don’t fall, ok? Where are your keys?”

“Huh?”

“Key-oh never mind.”

His hands roamed, pressing down on my hips, patting and smoothing. “Damn it, girl, where are your keys…”

Jingle, jingle.

We entered through the doorway and Bono shut the door, only to be pushed back onto it by my force. My lips found his neck, his skin tasting like a salty sea. His arms were strong and soft underneath my palms, his shirt like silk.

Our eyes met and he ran his knuckles along my face and hair. For how long did we stare at one another? Your guess is as good as mine.

With every passing second, my lids grew heavier and heavier. I snuggled into the rock stars chest, my legs being lifted from the floor once again. Closing my lids, my limps fell onto a soft landing and only then did I realize how drunk and tired I was.

Bono’s footsteps left the room for a few seconds, or minutes, I couldn’t be sure, then returned to where I laid.

“There’s a trash can next to you,” He whispered. “If you get sick.”

“Are you staying with me?” I heard myself asking, almost pleading.

It took awhile for him to answer. “If you want.”

Blindly, my hand found his, his body warm next to mine.

Thank you so much for all of your reviews! You’re all awesome! :heart:

I can haz bottle of Jack? :shifty:

:applaud: another great chapter - I actually got excited when I saw that you had posted another one - already!

you are on a roll ! :D Loving it :heart:

:hug: that makes me so happy!!! And we can all have a bottle of Jack! :hyper: I haven't wrote a fan fic in such a long time so I'm excited to write! I can't stop! lol.

I have a question...i know there are rules for the fan fiction area concerning how "far" the characters can go. And my next chapter doesn't have sex but it has a make out section. Is that allowed? I need to know my limits...can it be slightly PG-13 or just PG? I don't want to break any rules :sad:

That was awesome!! (As well as the previous chapters :up:) I laughed my a*s off :lol:
I love it :heart:
The flashbacks are really well written - at the right time and on the right place :)

Edit: ^ Idk, maybe you should ask a moderator :hmm:

^ The only thing I've read concerning your question, is that a peck or something like that is allowed, but if you go further, you might be banned, or your post might be deleted.
Anyway, you should ask someone who knows better than me :lol:

well, you could always do 2 versions? post a "child friendly" one on here, and send the other to those who request it? I know thats probably a lot of trouble but....*shrug*

:)

Back
Top Bottom