Acrobat - Chapter 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Okay, I just go the okay for this. This is all fake and you all know that. I hope you enjoy!

In the days that followed, Andrew hired Gloria to schedule the North American tour to be called Outside Broadcast. She was in charge of appearances and interviews for all media. Her level of clearance was elevated to all access at all times. Bono gave her a tour jacket with her name embroidered on the front. She was officially part of the tour. Gloria noticed two things within that week, Bono's eyes caught hers every night from the stage. At first, she thought she was mistaken until he said her name and nodded as to her. Through the show, his eyes swept back to her, keeping her rooted to what would be her spot. She wasn't sure if the decrease in his flirting with other females had anything to do with her, but he always gravitated to her during the night. Once he was by her side, he was reluctant to peel away. The other thing Gloria noticed was Edge's deep blush when Morleigh was nearby.

Gloria tried to get out of dinner the day they arrived in Rotterdam. The tour had taken its toll on her and she always dreaded June 14. Andrew had been better about putting his head to into work to get him through the day. Until today, she had not missed home one ounce. Now she'd give anything to hug her younger brother and tell him everything would be okay like she did that night six years ago.

The moon was bright and the road dry. Her father had one glass of champagne to toast his wife. They had much to celebrate. Despite dropping out of college for music management, Andrew was steadily gaining success in the music business. At twenty-two, he was set to help manage the Conspiracy of Hope tour, thanks to his friendship with an upcoming Irish band. Gloria was poised to be valedictorian for her class. Their youngest, Steven, was a set to follow her footsteps. Her father didn't see or hear the car speed through the red light. It was all over in a matter minutes.

Gloria was home with Steven when the police knocked on the door. She had been the very first to receive the news. The kind policeman called her grandparents as Gloria stood in her kitchen in shock. She had to wake Steven to tell him that their parents had died. Being on tour, Andrew was unreachable for days. He still carried the guilt of Gloria shouldering most of the responsibility until he was able to come home.

Six years had passed quickly with school work and tours. Gloria never made valedictorian as she instead toured with her brother and U2. Here she was again touring with her new family.

She was quiet on the ride over to the restaurant choosing to bury her head in a schedule book. There wasn't much time before the third leg of the tour would start. She only glanced up when she heard Bono's laugh echo from the front of the bus.

The restaurant sat on a pier surrounded by sailing vessels, yachts and shipping cargo. Like usual, the U2 entourage had commandeered the top floor of the establishment. Floor to ceiling windows overlooked the harbor. Gloria's gaze held on the seagulls floating in the air and the boats bobbing below. She missed the sea. When she moved from Boston to New York, she had to leave memories and the sea behind. The salty smell reminded her of home - the one they were forced to leave six years ago. Watching Andrew laugh like nothing happened made her angry. He gave her a quick hug when he saw her that morning, but never mentioned it again. She was certain he didn't call Steven even after she told Andrew she had earlier. That was Andrew's way of dealing with emotions - run away. She tried to be understanding, but she was hurting too.

The laughter in the room suffocated her. Gloria stood and everything swirled - she needed air. She wasn't sure she even excused herself before she pushed through the doors and out into the slightly cooler air.

Bono had been watching her closely. Andrew had intimated earlier what today meant to them. Seeing her bolt from the room, he quietly slipped out to find her. She stared out at the boats and gulls, chewing on her lower lip. Her eyes were rimmed with water - a dam threatening to burst.

"I talked with Andrew. He said today was your parents anniversary," Bono leaned against the railing beside her.

She nodded. "It was six years ago today that they died."

His heart broke for her. "I'm so sorry, Gloria."

She hung her head. "I really miss them. Andrew has been so distant today. I know it's been six years, but on a day like today....it feels like it was yesterday. "

He held out his hand. "Come on. Let's take a walk."

She nodded and slipped her hand in his. He led her away from the laughter in the restaurant along the water and down to the docks.

Gloria recounted the night the police came to her door to change her life forever. His eyes never left her face and marveled at her strength. He always believed women to be the more superior sex in regards to shouldering pain. As they walked farther from the restaurant, the sun slipped in the sky.

They looked at the huge shipping vessels and smaller fishing boats.

"If I weren't in a band, I'd be a fisherman, " Bono nodded. "Or in jail."

It was good to hear her laugh. She had been sullen as this day approached. He had been afraid he had hurt her feeling the night he snapped at her as he came off the stage. That night, anyone standing nearby was a target. Unfortunately, she was the first person he saw as he tore backstage. Even though he apologized profusely an hour later, he still felt bad days after. At least for now, she had a smile as they continued away from everyone else and deeper among the shipping containers.

"It's hard to not feel lonely today," she sighed as minutes of silence between them.

"I know. I had my father, but we were all very fractured." He turned to her. "But you have people that care."

"I know," she sighed. The sun as slipped behind the building casting long shadows on the dock. The water lapped against the boards under their feet.

"Your brother, everyone on this tour," he licked his dry lips. "Me."

Offering a weak smile, she caught his eyes and saw the same sadness inside. The breeze blew around them. He brushed the hair from her eyes.

"I care," he whispered. "A lot."

He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Then the tip of her nose.

He found her lips parted waiting for him. He hovered for a second feeling her breath against his lips.

He should step back.

His hands slid up her neck and fingers dug into her hair as he brought her mouth to his. He felt a small moan when his tongue tentatively ventured inside. When her lips parted more, he couldn't hold back anymore, he probed inside hungrily. Her arms pulled him against her as they collapsed against a container. One hand slipped from her hair to wrap around her waist. He felt the soft skin of her back as his fingers slipped just under the waistband of her skirt. He should pull away now before it went further but he was rooted in the spot. Her body against his felt incredible - she fit him perfectly. As he suspected, her kiss had vastly improved with their mouths dancing in perfect time. Her hands moved slowly from his back across his chest to entangle in his hair.

Bono pulled away; his voice was ragged. “Glory.”

She pulled his mouth back on hers hungrily. He crushed her body against him, his hips grinding against her. Her hands slid down his back and under his shirt. A fire spread across his body to concentrate in his pants. He never wanted anyone as much as this. As her nails scraped his skin lightly, he wasn’t sure he could stop himself. Tearing his mouth from hers, he tasted the salty flesh of her neck. She clung to him for balance; her knees weak. Her breath was hot against his ear.

“Glory, oh God,” he moaned before his tongue plunged back into the sweetness of her mouth.

Despite having only two glasses of wine with dinner, he felt underwater and weightless. One hand dropped to the soft skin of her thigh. Why did she have to wear a skirt, he wondered, it would be so easy.

She felt him press against her, and she wanted to touch him, to be a part of him. She moved with him wanting nothing more than to wrap her legs around his waist. His hand hitched one leg up to his hip and only a few layers of fabric stopped them from becoming one. Her heart raced thinking of his next move.

A ship’s horn blared beside them. They jumped apart panting and still touching. He gaped at her with wonder.

“We should probably go....we shouldn’t be found like this,” her voice was uneven.

He nodded and pressed his forehead to hers. “I know....but I don’t want to move.”

“I don’t either,” she closed her eyes knowing that when they leave the containers, the moment will end.

He wanted to say more even if the words were a jumble in his head. He longed to crawl inside her and stay.

“They’ll start looking for us. We’ve been gone along time,” she swallowed hard.

“You’re right.” He kissed her forehead. “You’re always right.” Wrapping an arm around her, he said, “Come on....let’s go.”

Perfectly, Gloria tucked in by his side like a missing puzzle piece. A chilly wind came in off the water as they huddled together. He paused before entering the restaurant.

"Are you okay?" His thumb brushed her cheek.

"Yeah," she nodded numbly. He just kissed her - how would she ever be the same? She felt his urgency and it was not an accident. No one could blame the booze.

He gazed at her for a few seconds more before he opened the door. He'd been very careless tonight - he let his emotions and wants cloud his judgment. Would she expect something from him after this? Maybe he should have said something before going inside. What could he say? What he should say, or what he wanted to say?

Edge had been eyeing the door since Bono left the room. He searched both faces for any indication of what may have occurred outside. Gloria appeared to be flustered and Bono looked shaken. They sat at opposite ends of the table. Curiosity was eating at Edge. He moved to sit beside Bono.

"Is everything all right?" he asked.

Bono nodded. "It's the anniversary of Andrew and Gloria's parents death today. We went for a walk - she wasn't feeling well."

That explained their demeanor. "I knew it was coming up. I thought it was in a day or two."

"You knew?" Bono asked.

"Yeah, we talked about it a few weeks ago. I knew because I remember when it happened.”

"I don't remember," he said. "Gloria told me a few months ago."

Edge shrugged before moving to Gloria's side. Bono watched through narrow eyes as Edge wrapped an arm around her shoulders and said something that elicited a small laugh.

Against all better judgment, he could not stay away from her. He craved more - or at least to be by her side. He loved feeling the warmth of her leg beside his. Occasionally, his hand brushed her thigh or her hand.

Gloria switched to water, figuring she needed to keep her wits about her. Even though he was his jovial, flirty self, she saw the burning his eyes when he looked at her. They were so close. Five years ago was not a fluke, he wanted her as much as she wanted him. She only needed to wait for him to come to her.

There was discussion of finding a nightclub, but they never materialized into action. Back at the hotel, they pondered a nightcap in the bar or Edge's suite.

"I think I'm turning in," Gloria forced a yawn hoping Bono would follow soon. She was certain that he itched to be alone with her, to continue what they started.

He watched her walk away wondering how best to make his escape. He couldn't erase the image of her gazing up at him with equally hungry eyes. She wasn't just a sweet girl anymore. He needed to feel this woman in his arms with her soft moans in his ear. His pants were tighter just thinking about lying in her bed.

Bono decided to oblige Edge with one drink. One turned to two as Edge was uncharacteristically talkative. Deep down, he suspected that Edge was trying to keep him occupied and away from Gloria. She doesn't want you, he thought smugly. He glanced at his watch as the hours passed. Maybe it was for the best, he thought. He needed to take a step back from what he intended to do - break his marriage vows. Ali seemed so far away and small at that moment. While he couldn’t do anything right for his wife, Gloria gazed at him with complete adoration. He knew once he crossed that line, there would be no going back.

Gloria stared at the ceiling for what seemed like hours. She heard voices draw closer and fade away. There was no knock on her door. He must not be ready, she thought. Their kiss had them both a bit shaken. Knowing Bono, he could also have lost track of time. As his wrangler from time to time, she was aware how lost in his own thoughts and conversations he could get. Disappointed, she rolled over and wrapped her arms around a pillow instead of him.

I think I edited and rewrote it a few times. It was a bit more innocent the first go around. So, anyone who has read Mysterious Ways will know they have lots to look forward to.

:whistle:

bonoinspiration.jpg

:whistle:

I know you're dusting off mysterious ways again...which I am HIGHLY looking forward to!...But did Acrobat go any further than this? If not, I'll wait patiently for Mysterious Ways! :) can't get enough of these two!

Back
Top Bottom