(3-31-2008) Live Nation Signs Concert-promotion Deal With U2 - CNNMoney.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
Live Nation Signs Concert-promotion Deal With U2

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones) -- Live Nation Inc. has reached a 12-year deal with U2 that gives the U.S. concert promoter exclusive rights to produce the Irish rock band's concerts, manufacture and sell its merchandise, license its image and run its Web site and online fan club, according to a media report Sunday.

Terms of the U2 agreement weren't disclosed, The Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition.

The U2 arrangement, which follows an even broader 10-year deal with Madonna, would guarantee desirable inventory for the new ticketing service, set to launch at the beginning of 2009, the Journal said.

Live Nation (LYV), the world's largest concert promoter by revenue, has said it is parting ways with IAC/Interactive Corp.'s (IACID) Ticketmaster, the biggest ticket seller, when their partnership ends at the end of this year, Live Nation plans to launch a competing ticket service to sell seats to its own concerts as well as events staged by others, the Journal said.

Unlike Live Nation's $120 million deal with Madonna, the U2 agreement, which is to be finalized soon, doesn't cover distribution of recorded music or music publishing, according to the report.

For the same rights Live Nation is getting from U2, the promoter paid Madonna about $70 million, the Journal said.

U2 extended its record contract with Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group SA late last year and also has a long-term publishing deal with Universal, the Journal said.

For U2, the promoter is effectively paying the band to lock in the status quo: Live Nation or its predecessors have produced and promoted every world-wide U2 tour since 1997, and a Live Nation subsidiary already manages the band's Web site and fan club, the Journal said.

Formed in Dublin in 1976, U2 remains one of the most potent live draws in the world. Its most recent tour was the second-highest-grossing concert tour in history, earning $389.4 million at the box office, according to data from Billboard magazine. The Rolling Stones' 2005-07 "Bigger Bang" tour took in $ 558.3 million. Live Nation promoted both.

U2's record sales haven't held up quite as well; 2004's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" wasn't among the 10 best-selling albums in the U.S. that year, the Journal said.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djhighlights/200803310045DOWJONESDJONLINE000013.htm

I thought Live Nation already did the tours and U2.com. But hey, I'm just happy I won't have to deal with Ticketmaster for the next tour! :yes:

"Live Nation plans to launch a competing ticket service to sell seats to its own concerts as well as events staged by others..."

lol Zoom

good for LiveNation, after signing Madonna they´re moving forward so they are an established key player in the industry. Paul Mc Guinness mentioned them at MIDEM, they have been talking about it for a couple of months.

just out of curiousity...

do ANY of you know anything about clear channel/live nation?

u2girlcj said:
I thought Live Nation already did the tours and U2.com. But hey, I'm just happy I won't have to deal with Ticketmaster for the next tour! :yes:

"Live Nation plans to launch a competing ticket service to sell seats to its own concerts as well as events staged by others..."

Crappy Fanfire (Signatures Networks) did u2.com

I think this will be a good change. Hopefully the web site will be better, with better stuff in the U2 Store. I saw a car covered with Dave Matthews Band stickers the other day and thought, "Wouldn't it be great if U2 had a better selection of merchandise?" :hmm:

clear channel sucks
u2 should know well enough to steer clear of this type of thing, what did they need the money that bad? Everything you know is wrong, i guess. :|

Zoomerang96 said:
just out of curiousity...

do ANY of you know anything about clear channel/live nation?

I haven´t checked how many satellites they run for a couple of years.

Doesn´t make any difference to independent labels at all. The industry has changed, its all upside down so who gives a shit about them?

I would think that U2 still insisted on some element of control, in which case we still may see GA and still at a low price. Bono likes to say the best seats in the house are the cheapest. Then they will sell all of the loge/lower bowl for $250. The key will be whether they give the fan club members a chance to get the GAs - that was the problem the last time with the first sale, but then they rectified it.

Johnovox said:
I would think that U2 still insisted on some element of control, in which case we still may see GA and still at a low price. Bono likes to say the best seats in the house are the cheapest. Then they will sell all of the loge/lower bowl for $250. The key will be whether they give the fan club members a chance to get the GAs - that was the problem the last time with the first sale, but then they rectified it.

LiveNation have produced the past 3 U2 tours.

And the unit heads have been working with the band for 20 years.

This is not a new relationship. It's a very, very old one.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I haven´t checked how many satellites they run for a couple of years.

Doesn´t make any difference to independent labels at all. The industry has changed, its all upside down so who gives a shit about them?

no, i don't care about independent labels. that's not my point.

my point is radiohead don't like them, so i don't either, guys.

mooncat said:

LiveNation have produced the past 3 U2 tours.

And the unit heads have been working with the band for 20 years.

This is not a new relationship. It's a very, very old one.

The point is that I think U2 will be involved in the tour details as before. Someone screwed up the initial round of fan sales the last time and I don't recall who took the fall: Livenation or Ticketmaster, but U2 got back involved and things ran smoother from then on (i.e., the fans got good seats from the presales, not just the scalpers).

Zoomerang96 said:

no, i don't care about independent labels. that's not my point.

my point is radiohead don't like them, so i don't either, guys.

RH are working with LiveNation.

Sort it out buddy.

Madonna and Live Nation

Madonna also signed a deal with Live Nation. I read about it on TicketNews.com.

Back
Top Bottom