(12-31-2005) Bono: My campaigning upset U2 - CNN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono: My campaigning upset U2

LONDON, England (AP) -- Rock star Bono said Saturday that his commitment to campaigning against poverty caused tensions within his band, U2.

The musician said that, at one point, he feared his commitment to the anti-poverty cause might force him out of the band.

"They (the band) are hugely supportive spiritually and financially of the work I do, but they are in a rock 'n 'roll band, and the first job of a rock 'n 'roll band is not to be dull," Bono told British Broadcasting Corp. radio.

"So we have to be very careful about just letting me go too far."

With fellow musician Bob Geldof, Bono was one of the leaders of this year's international Make Poverty History campaign and Live 8 concert, and frequently makes on-stage statements about global poverty during U2 concerts.

Bono acknowledged that his campaigning had sometimes "raised eyebrows" among his fellow band members.

"When I do my rant on making poverty history, I have got Larry Mullen, our drummer, behind me looking at his watch, timing me."

"There was one point when I thought `I'm going to be thrown out of the band for this stuff."'

"People just openly jeered, and I felt like I was a weight around my band's neck for doing this kind of work."

But Bono said he now feels the other band members recognize that U2's audience appreciate what he is doing.

"I thought we would wear our audience out, but it hasn't happened," he said. "People are smart out there. They know what you are doing, they know the compromises you are making, they get it."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/31/bono.u2.ap/index.html

while i fully admire what bono does, it would be nice if he could find someone willing to take the torch and run with it so he can go back to being a rock star who's sometimes an activist, instead of an activist who's sometimes a rock star.

:shrug: i just don't think he's found that person who he can trust yet.

i remember a few years ago there was talk that he was trying to get tom cruise involved... i guess he dropped that after finding out that tom cruise is insaine.

maybe clooney... but i'm not sure clooney has the world wide appeal that bono has. ahh forget it... another 5 years before a new record and tour :sad:

Bono's comments about Larry - or Larry's comments directly - amuse and confuse me.

I've been a fan since '83. During that time, U2 have always stood for 2 things: great music and social consciousness.

If Larry was so against Bono's political rants or activities, then U2 should have never appeared in the countless charity tours they did in the 80's, including Live Aid. U2 shouldn't have let Bono ramble on and on during his JT years (see famous, "am I bugging you?" quote from R&H). U2 shouldn't have donated the proceeds from numerous singles to charity. U2 shouldn't have participated in protesting the development of new nuclear plants in the U.K. in the early 90's (Sellafield).

Then, over the years there have been countless songs that have political overtones. Even that supposedly "out there" album, "Pop", had "Please" on it.

So if Larry or other U2 members were so against Bono's religious or political views or his activism, they should have complained decades ago! LOL!

As such, I'm not buying it. In fact, I'm more proud of Bono and U2 now than ever. For years, as Larry said, it was just "this mouth". Bono would rant in concerts and in the press, but little was done. Now he's doing something - REALLY doing something. It's one thing to support Greenpeace or protest a nuclear power plant or tell people about Amnesty International and write songs about wrongfully imprisoned people, but it's another to get out there and truly make a difference. Even better, Bono's efforts are paying off. People's lives are being changed - even saved!!

So for ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, to complain about Bono's activism shows just how short-sighted they are. Clearly, Larry is not that way - he's a brilliant man. And I know that while Bono's DATA responsibilities draw him away from the studio, as Larry himself said, it can be a good thing.

As for timing him in concerts... come on. :lol: We've been fans for a long time. A 25 year old band doesn't sell 10 million copies of their lastest album without long time fans snatching up copies. One reason we love U2 is because of their activism. If Bono didn't have some sort of rant, I think we'd be disappointed. ;)

doctorwho said:
Bono's comments about Larry - or Larry's comments directly - amuse and confuse me.

I've been a fan since '83. During that time, U2 have always stood for 2 things: great music and social consciousness.

If Larry was so against Bono's political rants or activities, then U2 should have never appeared in the countless charity tours they did in the 80's, including Live Aid. U2 shouldn't have let Bono ramble on and on during his JT years (see famous, "am I bugging you?" quote from R&H). U2 shouldn't have donated the proceeds from numerous singles to charity. U2 shouldn't have participated in protesting the development of new nuclear plants in the U.K. in the early 90's (Sellafield).

Then, over the years there have been countless songs that have political overtones. Even that supposedly "out there" album, "Pop", had "Please" on it.

So if Larry or other U2 members were so against Bono's religious or political views or his activism, they should have complained decades ago! LOL!

As such, I'm not buying it. In fact, I'm more proud of Bono and U2 now than ever. For years, as Larry said, it was just "this mouth". Bono would rant in concerts and in the press, but little was done. Now he's doing something - REALLY doing something. It's one thing to support Greenpeace or protest a nuclear power plant or tell people about Amnesty International and write songs about wrongfully imprisoned people, but it's another to get out there and truly make a difference. Even better, Bono's efforts are paying off. People's lives are being changed - even saved!!

So for ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, to complain about Bono's activism shows just how short-sighted they are. Clearly, Larry is not that way - he's a brilliant man. And I know that while Bono's DATA responsibilities draw him away from the studio, as Larry himself said, it can be a good thing.

As for timing him in concerts... come on. :lol: We've been fans for a long time. A 25 year old band doesn't sell 10 million copies of their lastest album without long time fans snatching up copies. One reason we love U2 is because of their activism. If Bono didn't have some sort of rant, I think we'd be disappointed. ;)

What a great post! :up: I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

I've always felt The Edge, Adam, and Larry each deserve a share in all the accolades and recognition Bono receives simply because they work together to make it possible.

Whether it's extra studio work in his absence, coordinating travel schedules, waiting around while Bono talks to the pope, individually taking on more U2 publicity responsibilities, or supporting the mission financially and professionally, they have truly been the unsung heroes in this adventure.

So this > :heart: :larry: :adam: :edge: :hug:

is for them.

:up:
:applaud:
:bow:

biff said:
It was on BBC Radio today. He was interviewed via telephone by Queen Noor. Here's a link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4571242.stm#

Thanks for the link. It was nice to have had a chance to listen as well as read all the comments and the article. Interesting. Ditto what everyone has said above. I have nor will I ever tire of Bono's activism and talking about it, during concerts or otherwise. I can understand his band mates growing tired of and perhaps wondering about his priorities.....yet they somehow manage to pull it all together and put things in perspective. I will always support U2 AND their activism no matter what.

Happy New Year everyone--may 2006 bring us all a wee bit closer to ending poverty all over the globe.

doctorwho said:

:bow: - doctorwho

I couldn't have said it better myself. (actually I probably would have been flamed if I did ! :lmao: )

All I can add is that there is NO way that Bono will evr be forced to leave U2.

Everyone, including U2, know that at least half of the people who attend U2 concetrs do so because of Bono.

So, even on a financial level, the detriment to the band would be enormous without Bono.

And I doubt that anyone associated with U2 wants that to happen.

I think Bono has a job with U2 for as long as he wants. ;)

Rock stars have power in our commercial society.

Nice to see this one use it for the common good.

Should be more of it

Bono's search to justice

You know, I think it's great Bono does all this work for Africa and ending poverty. When he talks about his search to justice everybody listens so I don't think people are bothered by it, they are fascinated by it. Not just because it's Bono talking, a brilliant musician, but he makes the audiance feel they CAN make a difference and they MUST.

I think we all admire Bono for his dedication and tireless work on poverty, but you have to admit, the tenor of the concerts changed (compared to prior tours) when the focus shifted to the Africa/One campaign.

nbcrusader said:
I think we all admire Bono for his dedication and tireless work on poverty, but you have to admit, the tenor of the concerts changed (compared to prior tours) when the focus shifted to the Africa/One campaign.

The tenor of the concerts is the music. If the focus changed, that´s a good thing, don´t you think so?

what doctorwho said.

if you buy this you just fall for publicity.

its nice to stay in the media. so lets do another article about Larry timing Bonos speeches lol -while that kinda dry cynicism fits the U2puppy Larry, I doubt there was any real tension about Bono´s activities.

I love Bono and I love even more all the work he does for otherwise voiceless people, but the preaching rant he went on during this concert tour bordered on the ridiculous time-wise. I didn't like it live in person, and I hit the 'skip' button on the Chicago dvd when i get to that part. I also believe the Africa intro to Streets didn't work well at all.

I find the criticism in this thread of Larry Mullen stunning and disturbing. Every time Bono stops the concert to go into a prolonged preaching session it interrupts the flow and the momentum of the gig. As the founding member of U2, Larry absolutely has every right to time Bono's speeches and, if necessary, criticize Bono when he goes overboard.

Do any of you really believe Larry is literally timing Bono's speeches? Bono is always jokingly exaggerating things - just like he jokingly said once that Larry still has all his First Communion money. I'm sure there's been a bit of tension in the band, but there's no way the other three would ever throw him out.

cypress said:
I love Bono and I love even more all the work he does for otherwise voiceless people, but the preaching rant he went on during this concert tour bordered on the ridiculous time-wise. I didn't like it live in person, and I hit the 'skip' button on the Chicago dvd when i get to that part. I also believe the Africa intro to Streets didn't work well at all.

I find the criticism in this thread of Larry Mullen stunning and disturbing. Every time Bono stops the concert to go into a prolonged preaching session it interrupts the flow and the momentum of the gig. As the founding member of U2, Larry absolutely has every right to time Bono's speeches and, if necessary, criticize Bono when he goes overboard.

I don't think anyone in this thread criticized Larry... in fact, it was just the opposite!

And if think the Africa/One campaign speech has a palling effect on the audience... you obviously weren't at a ZooTV concert!! Sarajevo, anyone? That really messed with the crowd's mind!!

I know it is really selfish, but I would like to see Bono take a step back from all the activism, and really get back to making music with the band. I think it may actually be good for him to step back now, because he has gotten so much recognition for it in the last year (Time Mag's person of the year for example) that people may start getting sick of him talking about it. "oh here goes Bono again with another speech", you know what I mean.
Plus, he is such a great song writer, let someone else take the lead on DATA and the ONe Campaigne, and writed some f@#king songs.

I think people who don't think the band ever get annoyed at Bono's extracurricular activities are being a little naive. Of course they get miffed from time to time when they want to get something done but can't because Bono is off doing something else. I had heard there was some tension among the band recently, and seeing this article right after hearing it only confirms it. And while I don't think Bono was ever close to leaving the band, I think there is more truth to it then some would like to believe.

Also, while U2 shows have always had some sort of political or social aspect to it, the Vertigo Tour has taken it to another step. Yes Bono has always ranted during appropriate songs, yet now we basically have 3 full songs in a row dedicated to his cause. We still have the rants during Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky among others, but now we have a 3 song section of Pride, Streets, and One which is all out preech mode. Oh yeah, and it starts with a reading of the declaration of rights too. So while Bono may have been "preachy" before, this tour has far exceeded what has been done before, as a large section of the show is dedicated to it.

Anyway, like I said I don't think Bono was ever close to leaving the band, but the political stuff he does can take a toll.

Chizip said:
I think people who don't think the band ever get annoyed at Bono's extracurricular activities are being a little naive. Of course they get miffed from time to time when they want to get something done but can't because Bono is off doing something else. I had heard there was some tension among the band recently, and seeing this article right after hearing it only confirms it. And while I don't think Bono was ever close to leaving the band, I think there is more truth to it then some would like to believe.

Also, while U2 shows have always had some sort of political or social aspect to it, the Vertigo Tour has taken it to another step. Yes Bono has always ranted during appropriate songs, yet now we basically have 3 full songs in a row dedicated to his cause. We still have the rants during Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky among others, but now we have a 3 song section of Pride, Streets, and One which is all out preech mode. Oh yeah, and it starts with a reading of the declaration of rights too. So while Bono may have been "preachy" before, this tour has far exceeded what has been done before, as a large section of the show is dedicated to it.

Anyway, like I said I don't think Bono was ever close to leaving the band, but the political stuff he does can take a toll.

what that guy said...

like i said at the start of the post... bono's work is admirable, of course. i support it, i've researched it, etc. etc.

but it would be nice to get back to the music being the focus point...

i know bono won't take a lesser role unless he knows that there's someone out there who will take over his job... but there isn't anyone with his type of celebrity out there who's willing to do so... so as fans we're kinda stuck.

bono had always said... always... that his job as humanitarian crusader would never get in the way of his day job. well it has. it gets in the way. it delays album recording, it dictates the setlist, heck it even changed the live experience for a lot of people for where the streets have no name.

now i know some people are going to start spewing off about how what bono does on the side is much more important than music and all that stuff... and i can baisicly predict exactly who will make those statements ( :hug: )... but the music is the most important thing, 'cause without the music, bono wouldn't have the chance to go off on all of these issues that he's involved with. the deeper bono gets involved, the further away he gets from the band, and more time between albums and tours... and while i'm sure adam, the edge and larry respect the issues that bono's dealing with, i'm sure they'd like it if he'd cut back a little so that it won't take another 4 years before the next album. they're in their mid 40s... larry's got back and arm troubles... i'm sure they'd like to crack out another album and tour before they hit 50.

:shrug:

When I think about the perceived "tension" towards Bono's activism from the other 3 band members I invariably always go back to that Simpsons episode. I found it hilarious!

Homer:(rant about garbage disposal) followed by a chorus of boos from the crowd.

Bono:"Wait, this man is talking about waste management!"

Edge(rolling eyes): "Oh no, here he goes again! Larry, want to go to the pub to grab a pint?"

Larry: Sure!

Adam: "Can I come?"

Edge: "Um......no."

The point is: if the other 3 really didn't appreciate Bono doing what he does they would have said so long ago. Essentially, the success of the band hinges on the 4 members being best friends. And, as we all know the key to a lasting friendship is compromises and acceptance of others habits,behaviours etc...

Back
Top Bottom