(12-31-2005) Bono: My campaigning upset U2 - CNN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the media is certainly starting to blow things out of proportion with his statements. On the news over here, they are saying he's leaving the band and doing more campaigning for poverty. :|

Headache in a Suitcase said:

bono had always said... always... that his job as humanitarian crusader would never get in the way of his day job. well it has. it gets in the way. it delays album recording, it dictates the setlist, heck it even changed the live experience for a lot of people for where the streets have no name.

now i know some people are going to start spewing off about how what bono does on the side is much more important than music and all that stuff... and i can baisicly predict exactly who will make those statements ( :hug: )... but the music is the most important thing, 'cause without the music, bono wouldn't have the chance to go off on all of these issues that he's involved with. the deeper bono gets involved, the further away he gets from the band, and more time between albums and tours... and while i'm sure adam, the edge and larry respect the issues that bono's dealing with, i'm sure they'd like it if he'd cut back a little so that it won't take another 4 years before the next album. they're in their mid 40s... larry's got back and arm troubles... i'm sure they'd like to crack out another album and tour before they hit 50.

:shrug:

I agree with this. I hope it doesn't take another 4 years to put out another album as well.

Chizip said:
I think people who don't think the band ever get annoyed at Bono's extracurricular activities are being a little naive. Of course they get miffed from time to time when they want to get something done but can't because Bono is off doing something else. .

:up: How can any anyone say that the other band members don't ever get annoyed?

Very good points, as always, gentlemen. :wink:

There was a report on the local 6pm news here today too. "Bono and his band mates are not getting along and he may be forced out." Quite funny since many U2 fans believe that any one of them being forced out spells the end of U2. Must've been a slow day for the media! :huh:

dmalezi said:
There was a report on the local 6pm news here today too. "Bono and his band mates are not getting along and he may be forced out." Quite funny since many U2 fans believe that any one of them being forced out spells the end of U2. Must've been a slow day for the media! :huh:

I love how they missed the part of the story where Bono said the rest of the band is now pretty much on board with what he is doing. :|

"I thought we would wear our audience out, but it hasn't happened," he said. "People are smart out there. They know what you are doing, they know the compromises you are making, they get it."

i hope this doesn't mean that he's gonna take it even further next tour... with the number of threads re: the new africa tone of the show early on in the tour, a large number of fans are getting close to being worn out.

for me the question is how his extracurricular activity impacts the recording. you always read that with bono out of the studio, everyone else gets along and gets to work - but really, it is friction and tension that makes the magic happen.

I appreciate Bono's efforts and at least he does a lot more than other musicians, however, it would be nice if he went back to being a rock star while still being an activist.

dmalezi said:

That's exactly how CBS spun it here in Boston yesterday, even though their very own website had the full AP article on it! I sent them a scathing email, scolding them for purposely misrepresenting Bono's remarks.

BonoManiac said:
When I think about the perceived "tension" towards Bono's activism from the other 3 band members I invariably always go back to that Simpsons episode. I found it hilarious!

Homer:(rant about garbage disposal) followed by a chorus of boos from the crowd.

Bono:"Wait, this man is talking about waste management!"

Edge(rolling eyes): "Oh no, here he goes again! Larry, want to go to the pub to grab a pint?"

Larry: Sure!

Adam: "Can I come?"

Edge: "Um......no."

The point is: if the other 3 really didn't appreciate Bono doing what he does they would have said so long ago. Essentially, the success of the band hinges on the 4 members being best friends. And, as we all know the key to a lasting friendship is compromises and acceptance of others habits,behaviours etc...

AND TELL YA WHEN YOUR ARSE IS SHOWIN! (best u2 melody ever! *shot*)

I agree with Chizip and Headache - I couldn't have said it better myself, and I've felt that way for a while now. I guess I was too afraid to say anything. lol.

I will always respect Bono's activisim, but I also feel that it has overshadowed the music and his role in the band. Hell, Bono himself even talked about this in the TIME interview. He's struggling with finding a balance between the two, and even he said he's gone a little too far.

It's tricky if you're recording a vocal to get called out because there's a finance minister on the phone. It's hard explaining that to the rest of the band. I've got to be careful because music is what's given me the license, and I have to serve it. I have crossed that line and gone too far. I'm trying to figure this out as we speak. It's not easy.

As for the tour itself, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that "Streets" had the Africa theme instead of the traditional red backdrops. I felt the crowd energy was dead during that song (or maybe it was just the audience). LOL. In the end, though, Africa is obviously what "Streets" is all about and the band can do whatever they want.

Last edited:
I certainly respect Bono's drive to make a difference, but to think he would be forced out of the band is just ridiculous.

From a musical standpoint, Bono and the Edge are both irreplaceable.

Conceivably U2 could continue without Adam or Larry, (although it would be very weird), but you can't have U2 without Bono's vocals or the Edge's signature guitar.

How on earth could anyone replace the best front man in the business?

Bottom line, U2 will not go on without all four of its original members. The minute one of them bows out, it's all over.

Is there anyone out there who believes U2 would continue on at this stage of their careers with a new member?

Back
Top Bottom