(12-30-2005) 'Imagine' Tops Favourite Song Poll -- Irish Examiner*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
"Imagine" Tops Favourite Song Poll

John Lennon’s "Imagine" has been voted England’s number one song – 25 years after his death.

The Beatles classics "Hey Jude" and "Let it Be" came second and third in the poll compiled by Virgin Radio.

U2 made it to fourth place with "One," while Robbie Williams followed with "Angels."

The highest charting debut act in the poll was newcomer James Blunt, securing his place in the top 10 with "You’re Beautiful."

Virgin Radio’s Ben Jones, who will play out the top 10, said: “Its apt that Lennon is top of the poll in the year of the 25th anniversary of his death.

“His writing, especially with Paul McCartney, is possibly the country’s greatest ever musical export and he clearly still holds a special place in the nation’s heart.”

The Beatles have 33 entries in the top 500 songs.

The Rolling Stones follow with 17 entries, followed by U2 with 15 and David Bowie and Queen with 14 each.

Coldplay and Oasis failed to make it into the top ten.

Seventies icons Blondie managed eight entries in the top 500 with relative newcomers Keane managing four.

The top songs, polled by 7,000 Virgin Radio listeners, will be counted down on Virgin Radio’s Top 500 on New Years Eve.

TOP TEN:
1. Imagine – John Lennon
2. Hey Jude – Beatles
3. Let It Be – Beatles
4. One – U2
5. Angels – Robbie Williams
6. Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
7. Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin
8. Every Breath You Take – The Police
9. Hotel California – The Eagles
10. You’re Beautiful – James Blunt

--Irish Examiner

Interesting, i think One was # 2 last year. Here's U2's other songs on the list :

# 500 - Even Better...
# 332 - Angel Of Harlem
# 342 - Sweetest Thing
# 317 - Unforgettable Fire
# 288 - Beautiful Day
# 84 - Vertigo
# 66 - Pride
# 48 - ISHFWILFD
? # 47 - # 11 ?
# 4 - One

There must be 6 others between #'s 47 & 11 which, i think, is better than last year. In fact i don't think they've ever had 8 in the top 50 ! Has anyone got the other 6 ?

Last edited:
vertigo is down from 99th since the last virgin pole i saw... but it was current then. I thought it was in there just because it was current, now i think it should be top 20!

So Vertigo's gone UP 15 spots then - cool !

Also, i just found the others (didn't look too carefully the 1st time) :

# 15 - WOWY
# 105 - Streets
# 138 - Sunday...
# 167 - NYD
# 302 - Sometimes...
# 466 - Desire

Vertigo was actually # 374 on this same list last year so, in fact, it's gone up a whopping 190 places !

Also, 'One' WAS # 2 & U2 had the 2nd most songs of any artist with 17. The Beatles again had the most songs with 22.

thanks for the heads up on what Bono thinks of Imagine. I'll just go and burn my copy :up:

I think this is a really uninspiring list. One and Hey Jude are the only songs I really like on it.

Mr Gloria said:
why does bono hate imagine....how could he hate this song...seriously....

u got a source???/

From the recent Time magazine corver article:

"You know what my least favorite John Lennon song is?" he says. "Imagine. At the root of it is some rigorous thinking about the way things could be, but people have stolen the idea and made it an anthem for wishful thinking. I'm against wishful thinking. I hate it."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom