(12-19-2006) Bono unhappy after meeting Democrats - Chicago Tribune*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono unhappy after meeting Democrats

by Frank James

Last week, I blogged about Bono's visit to Capitol Hill to visit with incoming House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi and presumptive Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Today comes a report from the New York Post that Bono was most unhappy with that meeting. Seems Congress's new leaders wouldn't commit to $1 billion in new AIDS funding he sought.

Bono may be upset but he isn't even a U.S. citizen and isn't likely to affect many votes in congressional districts across the country. So Pelosi and Reid aren't going to sweat this one.

In fact, this is the kind of publicity they'll take more of. It helps them fight off Republican charges that Democrats are big spenders.

By not making any promises to the world-famous Bono, Pelosi and Reid can claim to be deficit hawks.

In fact, it wouldn't be a surprise if the new congressional leaders hosted a series of these photo-ops with celebrities in which they left the stars unsatisfied by not promising new federal spending for the celebrities' pet causes. Disappointing a celebrity can be good politics.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/12/bono_unhappy_af.html

How can that be good politics. Bono is trying to help millions of people and he is asking the American people and congress to help as many others around the world are doing!

Our elected officials value what we value, we need to take the time to write letters, make phone calls and generally put the pressure on them to let them know that this is an important issue to us, that Americans don't want to stand by while thousands die.

OK, that kind of make me really :angry:

First, don't use a celebrity for a photo op.

2nd, Bono and U2 have many fans that could sway voters.

and 3rdly, please don't call it a "pet cause" that is just adds insult to injury.

It is not his cause, it is his lifes work, mission and above a plea to anyone with a sense of conscience.

What crap, and here's the part they don't understand:

HelloAngel said:

Bono may be upset but he isn't even a U.S. citizen and isn't likely to affect many votes in congressional districts across the country.

How backward can they be??

Even if it is true...and it would be unfortunate if it is, we have to remember there are a ton of problems that we need to take care of internally right here, right now.

Once we cut the pork internally then we can look outside again and throw $$$ at Africa and other parts of the world. This country's finances have gone to hell in the past 6 years. Think about it.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Even if it is true...and it would be unfortunate if it is, we have to remember there are a ton of problems that we need to take care of internally right here, right now.

Once we cut the pork internally then we can look outside again and throw $$$ at Africa and other parts of the world. This country's finances have gone to hell in the past 6 years. Think about it.

The Iraq war costs over $2 billion a WEEK, and Bono is asking for a committment for half of that for an entire continent.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

My sister-in-law told us that she heard that if the money America spent the day after Thanksgiving ($9bil) went towards aid, we could eradicate malaria (I think it was....something important like that). That's just the money spent in ONE day on shit we don't even NEED.

Or just see ntalwar's post...

Congratulations everyone, you are Times Person of the Year. :cool:
Now spend your celebrity.
I've already sent out my letters (through ONE.com) and emailed everyone in my email book to do the same.
2 million people can make a difference. :up:

I'm sure that Pelosi's comments are being exaggerated a bit.

This country has a much bigger problem and, for the time being, I understand how Bono's cause could take a back seat. In addition, the focus for politicians right now is the election.

The dems are working hard to into the big leather chair in the west wing. The repubs are in the midst of damage control and struggling to figure out how to keep one of thier own in office.

I'm sure that if the situation was different, we'd have some more committments on the table for the B-man.

Lally1011 said:
This country has a much bigger problem and, for the time being, I understand how Bono's cause could take a back seat. In addition, the focus for politicians right now is the election.

Yes - more pressing issues exist like:
"AP: Pentagon wants $99.7B more for wars".

Lally1011 said:

But....we elect them based on how their platforms align with our priorities.

We can't call it "Bono's cause" b/c it defeats the entire purpose of him passing this issue off to the American public who've intentionally ignored it for so long. If we keep talking about it like it's Bono vs. the politicians, it just proves we really haven't taken ownership yet.

The Democrats SUCK!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!
Mind you I'm not saying the Republicans are any better - in fact I may be wrong but if you were a poor citizen in the U.S. wouldn't you rather have the Democrats in power. Still, what the fuck is up with this...trying to become the fiscal conservatives. FUCK THEM. As I've said many times I really wish there were a strong third party in the states to kick all these bums (Dem and Rep) out!!! It's really about time don't you think???

Umm Hello, democrats do not support good causes. Didnt you see the 20/20 special on who gives the most to charities it was Conservative Republicans. They even went to San Fran the liberal capital of the US and they were the worst at giving. I am not saying Repubs are by any means perfect , but do not be brainwashed by the biased media that says dems are great they suck. Bush has given more to bono's cause than any dem even clinton.
READ MORE, BELIEVE LESS

THE MEDIA LIES

Fist of all, as someone else mentioned, it's the NY Post, it's a TABLOID. It may not even be true.

I wish there was some way we could know if there was some truth to it. Either way, it's just a sign that we can't let up on communicating with our Rep or Senator any time soon.

BOYO3221 said:
Umm Hello, democrats do not support good causes. Didnt you see the 20/20 special on who gives the most to charities it was Conservative Republicans. They even went to San Fran the liberal capital of the US and they were the worst at giving. I am not saying Repubs are by any means perfect , but do not be brainwashed by the biased media that says dems are great they suck. Bush has given more to bono's cause than any dem even clinton.
READ MORE, BELIEVE LESS

THE MEDIA LIES

Let me make a point here, 20/20 airs on the most biased news network after FOX because they are owned by the DISNEY Corporation, who are HUGE contributors to the REP. Party Campaign. Look it up. Here is another kindly suggestion, maybe you should do some more reading before throwing generalities out there about an entire group of people "...Democrats do not support good causes" ... AHHH, Yes they do and so do the Republicans.
Can we please stop the divisive crap? That is part of the reason this country is in such a mess, people propelling the blue/red, me against you, my team against yours baloney. We are all Americans, one political party is not superiour to the other. It's we the people, remember, or did you skip that chapter in your history book?

ntalwar said:

The Iraq war costs over $2 billion a WEEK, and Bono is asking for a committment for half of that for an entire continent.

And that's what I was talking about...let's get our shit together first and then we can concentrate on everyone else.

I don't agree with the Iraq War...it's a waste of money and a waste of lives, and was completely unnecessary. I understand the idealistic thinking of some people in this forum, but take a look at all the problems here. Can we afford to give Africa $1 billion? Of course we can...is that our first priority? No it's not.

The money will be there...it's just not the right time, that's all.

BOYO3221 said:
READ MORE, BELIEVE LESS

THE MEDIA LIES

Well this type of attitude is exactly the opposite of what Bono's getting at. It's not about MONEY it's about VOTES. Republicans pump money into causes that support their agendas. I've grown up with a wealthy family - one of the wealthiest in the nation and world - that gives more money to the Republican party than ANY other person or organization in this country, and while I commend their generosity, they pick and choose very carefully who gets what and how that will help them politically.

Besides, the Republicans probably give more because they often HAVE more to give. The die-hard Republicans I know would rather donate thousands of dollars than actually spend five minutes talking to a homeless person or reading a book to a sick child.

Liesje said:

Well this type of attitude is exactly the opposite of what Bono's getting at. It's not about MONEY it's about VOTES. Republicans pump money into causes that support their agendas. I've grown up with a wealthy family - one of the wealthiest in the nation and world - that gives more money to the Republican party than ANY other person or organization in this country, and while I commend their generosity, they pick and choose very carefully who gets what and how that will help them politically.

Besides, the Republicans probably give more because they often HAVE more to give. The die-hard Republicans I know would rather donate thousands of dollars than actually spend five minutes talking to a homeless person or reading a book to a sick child.

:up:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

The money will be there...it's just not the right time, that's all.

Bono says it's an emergency (not a cause) in his speeches and I believe him. I don't believe Iraq is an emergency(in terms of needing funding) or should have a higher priority.

wow this has been full of nonsense non-backed up crap. hey jeannie umm sorry but disney in NO WAY supports repubs. and the post is NOT a tabloid HELLO!!! are you even from new york? i am and in fact i am not even a repub, i'm a registered independent. and as far as that bullcrap lie about repubs having all the money that is the biggest lie going today, look at allll the soft moneu given by hollywood to the dem party. you people need to READ!!!! and quit following the media like sheep. In case your wondering i do know all about this as i am very involved politically and understand repubs are bad at many things also, but not giving , even bono said he was dead wrong and that republicans have outgived and outsupported on africa than dems, that says it all and he did not mean just all rep politicians, people too. please read more than the liberal biased media you talk about. listen and read more, you might wake up and smell the flowers.

AND 1 more thing i am disgusted to hear ANY AMERICAN claim we have it worse than any african, DO YOU EVEN HEAR BONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. WE HAVE IT THE BEST IN THE WORLD, wow BONO would be screaming if he heard that line of crap, we as Americans are sooooo overprvildeged, we can ALWAYS give more, wow before people bash bush for not giving enough now they want to say when dems in congress well we have more serious problems DO YOU SEE THE HYPOCRISY?????

BOYO3221 said:
AND 1 more thing i am disgusted to hear ANY AMERICAN claim we have it worse than any african, DO YOU EVEN HEAR BONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. WE HAVE IT THE BEST IN THE WORLD, wow BONO would be screaming if he heard that line of crap, we as Americans are sooooo overprvildeged, we can ALWAYS give more, wow before people bash bush for not giving enough now they want to say when dems in congress well we have more serious problems DO YOU SEE THE HYPOCRISY?????

EXACTLY!!!
When the shoes on the other foot (now the Dems have a little power) all the rantings change. Now the Dems are trying to be fiscally conservative - what a bunch of hypocritical hogwash. To not help these people in Africa will spell thier doom - that is far more important than a bunch of in-fighting Arabs and the so called "cost of Iraq". Please believe me when I say I AM NOT A FAN OF GEORGE W BUSH OR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY but what I can't stand even more is when the other side tries to play tough and fiscal instead of compassionate and caring. I may be wrong but didn't more people end up in federal prison under BILL CLINTON for simple marijuana charges than EVER BEFORE !!!!
I may be wrong on this but I think I've heard that discussed more than a few times - if that is true then you know what kind of evil we're dealing with...just the opposite side of a rotten coin.

BOYO3221 said:
hey jeannie umm sorry but disney in NO WAY supports repubs.

Yes they do. It's a fact. They have given to both parties, but more has been given to the Republicans.

I'm just trying to make a point that if you are going to use the ABC news program 20/20 as your source, then don't make blanket statements about the media. That's hypocritical.
Apparantly you must not think ABC is part of that BIASED media?

Let's all watch c-span. (which I do sometimes)

:D

Why do you shout at each other all the time?

And I don't think any charges for smoking marijuana have anything to do with who is President.

He has far more important issues to dealing with than that.
Which shouldn't mean that smoking marijuana isn't in any way important, because what people often forget is that today's marijuana is far more unhealthy that it was in the 1960's.

I hope the influence of the members of One will make some difference.
Bono isn't wrong in saying that we can't afford forgetting Africa. It wouldn't help to fight Al Quaeda in the near East, only to find out that they have moved to Africa, and we can't afford letting masses of people die only because we have to safe money for our luxury needs.

Back
Top Bottom