(12-14-2004) ‘The Opera In Me’ - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com//news/images/02650.jpg[/SIMG]
‘The Opera In Me’

Dublin’s Gaiety Theatre was the venue yesterday, as the band shot a video for ‘Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own’. U2.Com was on set.

Unbeknownst to the thousands of children and families who will visit Dublin’s Gaiety Theatre over the Christmas pantomime season, there is a strange connection between this august venue and the shooting of a new U2 video.

Look hard enough amongst the hundreds of old posters that line the Victorian corridors, recalling the stars of long-forgotten performances down the years, and you come across a billing for ‘The Rathmines and Rathgar Musical Society’

02650.jpg

Among the members of the Society was one Bob Hewson who, as his son sings in ‘Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own’, was the one who ‘put the opera in me.’

Yesterday, with a bigger crew and more amplification than ‘The Rathmines and Rathgar Musical Society’ ever required, U2 were at the Gaiety to make a video for the song which Bono dedicates to his late father.

To read the entire article and view more photos, visit:
http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1267

drumkeeran, you took the words right out of my mouth.:wink:

Recording SYCMIOYO at the Gaiety Theater was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT idea!

What a tribute to Bob Hewson.

A TRULY AMAZING event. GOD BLESS U2.

:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I know this sounds strange, but I don't want to read the rest of the article and see any more photos because I have a feeling this is going to be an amazing, super-emotional video and I want to remain "spoiler-free" for it.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I see no choir, this is encouraging. Also, black and white videos are generally better for U2. :up:

If you'll read the rest of the article, you'll notice that they talk alot about the rising of the colors purple and red in the background. Does this mean the video is in color, or does it mean that the video is black and white except for the color in the background? I think it's the former as opposed to the latter.

spencr00 said:
is it just me or is that picture absolutely stunning? This video is going to be awesome
Nope, not just you; it's beautiful.

I STILL cry flood buckets when I listen to it and it kicks in with the "opera" section of the song.....the emotion in his voice...it's like "One".

I think, down the line, this will become one of U2's 20 greatest songs. As powerful as this is now, LIVE is really where it is going to shine. Aside from the fact that many of the fans are now old enough to personally identify with the situation which inspired it (a dead or terminally sick or just elderly parent), it's powerful enough on its own, just as a song about the passing of generations. It's the "u2 formula" applied in a much more personal way. This makes the song strangely "old" and yet "new." This and OOTS (another potential tear-jerker. There are so many FANTASTIC "Live" sings on this disc!!!)

I remember that "One", the first time I heard it, wasn't as massive tear-jerker for me. In fact, it gave me chills, but my main reaction was, "WHY Bono did you have to come out and spell U2's 'mission statement' right out loud? That's lyrically weak." But after I heard it live--Albany, NY, March 5, 1992, the 5th showof the tour, long before it had been released as a single--when I could actually hear people around me bursting into tears, I swear the only other times I've experienced that was experiencing "Titanic" and "Return of the King" in a theater--it changed my mind completely.

If that was my reaction to "One" before hearing it live, HOW will I react to this one live? I swear, it'll be The Grey Havens all over again. They'll have to allow security to let me bring a rowboat in, or I'll have to swim home:(

Speaking of the Grey Havens...I have to get home and watch my new Return of the King Extended Edition, (with the 50 mins of new footage) it just came out today....word from LOTR sites is that that scene is expanded and even MORE sad...Peter Jackson, I hate you at times:wink:

Last edited:
spencr00 said:
is it just me or is that picture absolutely stunning? This video is going to be awesome

It's not just you. That is a great photograph. I can't wait to see the video.

Back
Top Bottom