(12-09-2005) OK, Bono, Take This Chance, Ask Me to Dance -- Charlotte Observer*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
OK, Bono, Take This Chance, Ask Me to Dance

CRYSTAL DEMPSEY

Dear Bono,

I'm psyched that U2 is coming to town Monday. This will be my sixth U2 show.

I saw you guys in Houston in October. (I got tickets before the Bobcats Arena date was announced.)

For me, going to a U2 concert compares to attending a revival. Your lyrics give me hope that the world can be a better place and that we can be better to each other. And musically, few bands compare -- 25 years together and millions of records are proof.

You often bring a woman from the audience to dance with you on stage during "With or Without You."

I've noticed the lucky lasses are all lovely, but they're also svelte and not much taller than you. (I've seen your height listed as anywhere from 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8.)

How about some diversity? You could bring up a gal with some solid curves. Didn't y'all record a tune called "Big Girls Are Best"?

A tall woman would give you a place to rest your weary head.

How about a guy? I bet 99 percent of your audience would cheer wildly. Those who don't should listen to your songs more closely.

Of course, I would like to volunteer. I fulfill two categories: tall (nearly 5-foot-10 and often have on heels) and curvy (very).

Besides, I'd make it worth your while -- besides a soft place to rest your head.

I would personally sign up 1,000 people for the One campaign to fight the global AIDS crisis and end extreme poverty (www.one.org).

The campaign's goal is to get Congress to dedicate 1 percent of the federal budget to improve life in the poorest nations. You have been one of its biggest, loudest supporters. It was founded by groups such as Bread for the World, CARE, DATA (a group that U2's lead singer co-founded), Oxfam America and Save the Children.

We could work out the details after we dance. Give me a shout: (704) 358-5440.

xoxo, Crystal

--Charlotte Observer

She's not too observant. She's not aware that he has in fact brought up plenty of girls who are taller than him or are super curvy, and numerous guys as well.

Another thing, they have One Campaign booths at the shows and probably get at least if not more than 1,000 new sign ups per concert..Is it fair for a reporter(which i assume she is) to use her job status in order to get a dance? I applaud her for going out on a limb and doing it though, I'm just not sure it's right. Wonder how it's going to turn out.

Actually, I really don't think that it is right using your professional position as a journalist to be this patently obvious about a personal agenda.

I'm sure that she could have tried to have used her position to get an interview with Bono if she really just wanted to meet him.

It seems like this is A STUNT to get her up on stage so that maybe she can write about it for her paper (and sell lots of copies?)

Personally, I hope that if she is successful and does write an article about "her experience" that Interference does not choose to put it as a feature article on its homepage.

It would be better fitted as a forum piece.

She gives a bad name to serious U2 journalists. :eyebrow:

Y'all, this woman is the "fashion/style" editor of the paper. And I use those terms loosely. :huh:

I'm sure the editors of the Charlotte Observer were convinced the article was "cute" and decided to let Miss Crystal branch out a bit. I think they can send her back to the fashion desk now. :p

ALL RIGHT CRYSTAL!!!!! If I weren't already a member of ONE, you'd have my signature!!

The ENERGY is going to be p-h-e-n-o-m-i-n-a-l in Charlotte!!!! I'm looking forward to Monday too!!!

And for Crystal's info, I have already brought over to ONE at least 1,000 signatures in the last year!

And I did it dor the right reason - to help the people of Africa, not to get Bono's attention.

It really was a chinzy article. :|

Tacky tacky tacky :shame: I don't think this would get Bono's attention. Sorry. Bono chooses who he wants to bring up on stage, begging doesn't get you up on stage. I'd be sort of offended if I were in Bono's shoes and were to read something like this. Not worth the added 1,000 signatures for any campaign. Just my two cents worth. Good Luck "Miss Crystal"....sounds like a stripper's name.

I am glad she didn't get to dance only in that I think bribes defeat the purpose of the dance.....Bono is quite oblivious to that type of favortism i feel...

dsmith2904 said:
You often bring a woman from the audience to dance with you on stage during "With or Without You."

I've noticed the lucky lasses are all lovely, but they're also svelte and not much taller than you. (I've seen your height listed as anywhere from 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8.)

How about some diversity? You could bring up a gal with some solid curves. Didn't y'all record a tune called "Big Girls Are Best"?

A tall woman would give you a place to rest your weary head.

--Charlotte Observer

I am so tempted to send her a picture :lol: Solid Curves? Check. Much taller? Check.

What a way to use her profession :rolleyes:

I actually wrote to her pointing out that Bono often brought up women who were taller than him (I guess that's not saying much), as well as women who were super curvy, and numerous men as well. My letter was ignored.
I wasn't surprised.

biff said:
I actually wrote to her pointing out that Bono often brought up women who were taller than him (I guess that's not saying much), as well as women who were super curvy, and numerous men as well. My letter was ignored.
I wasn't surprised.

Aw... he's not THAT little :cute:

Ok, well maybe he's not that tall either

And why am I not surprised she ignored that?

She probably curled up into a shell after being blasted for her stupidity in her public outcries! If I were her (and I am glad I am not!) I would be hiding of embarrassment!

Back
Top Bottom