(12-07-2004) U2 Break New York Law - Contact Music*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 BREAK NEW YORK LAW

New York officials have refused to punish U2 for illegally driving a flat-bed truck through the city's streets - to thank them for bravely performing in Manhattan immediately after September 11 (01).

The Irish band travelled Manhattan's roads last month (NOV04) to promote their latest album HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB and managed to escape the wrath of the legal clause that bans such public displays - because MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG remains thrilled U2 played in a grieving city while many groups were axing their tours.

Frontman BONO says, "Everybody cancelled their tours after 9/11 and we didn't. We were the first band to play in New York after 9/11, and that went down well in the Big Apple.

"We should have been shut down by the authorities. But Mayor Bloomberg understood what we meant to the city and chose to turn a blind eye."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/u2 break new york law

I thought reports said that U2 had a permit to do this.

Who knows?:scratch:

It was a BRILLIANT return to the "Streets" filming in LA in the 1980's.

Gotta LOVE U2....:wink:

yet another crap article by the world's crappest "music journalists".......i'm changing my signature to "i hate contactmusic"

If those new yorkes doesn´t want them to drive around in the streets, they can always come to Bergen.... We have plenty of room!

This article sounds like a bunch of hooey...I recall reading several credible sources that mentioned how U2 had actually obtained a permit this time, as opposed to the LA hotel concert.

edited to say:
And that's kind of a large event to turn a "blind eye" to. You'd have to be hard of hearing as well.:wink:

Last edited:
pianorocker said:
This article sounds like a bunch of hooey...I recall reading several credible sources that mentioned how U2 had actually obtained a permit this time, as opposed to the LA hotel concert.

edited to say:
And that's kind of a large event to turn a "blind eye" to. You'd have to be hard of hearing as well.:wink:

if it's a Contact Music article then it will be a "a bunch of hooey"

Last edited:
Sevikins....

One does not attack U2. It would be bad for one's political health:wink:

Unless, of course, Bono had uttered a swear word in a TV newscast after the show...but even so...:)

This article is garbage. No way do U2 not have a permit, but do have MTV and the police leading them around. Bono's quotes look fake too.

ewen said:
yet another crap article by the world's crappest "music journalists".......i'm changing my signature to "i hate contactmusic"

I'm going to become premium just to GET a signature that says "I hate contactmusic" :D Seriously, they're always full of crap...at least they didn't try to say Adam was leaving the band or something. I guess they figured Bono and Larry were enough.

Back
Top Bottom