(12-01-2004) Garage Music: is this the best U2 album ever? - iPod Garage*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Garage Music: is this the best U2 album ever? Believe it or not, yes.

Hey kids, Garage Music lives! I know, I know, it's only technically still Tuesday. Nothing like a little dental hijinks to throw you massively off your schedule, but I'll be darned if something as minor as (the lack of) a front tooth is going to keep me from getting this week's Garage Music column out the door on the correct day. So here it is, in all its glory. And trust me, it's a good one...well, if you're a U2 fan anyway.

You see, I'm sure that quite a lot happened in the world of music this week, but I really couldn't tell you too much about it, because I sort of spent all week getting completely lost in learning How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, the new release from our friends U2. And although I've had about 168 hours now to digest the darn thing, I still can't begin to get enough of it. I'll put it this way: seeing as how U2 has been on an upswing so far this decade, it didn't surprise me at all that their latest release would challenge 1987's The Joshua Tree and 1992's Achtung Baby for the title of "Best U2 album ever." And it really didn't surprise me that this new album succeeding in doing so. But what blows my mind is that, at this point at least, the competition's not even close.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb may just be the best album ever made by anyone.

This album is so stunningly strong, it's just absurd. I listen to HTDAAB and I hear seven, maybe eight potential singles. And I'm not just talking about songs that I personally think should be released as singles; I'm talking about them all actually making it onto radio and succeeding. Vertigo, that first single that doubles as an iPod advertisement? Sure, it's a strong song, but I think might actually be the weakest track on the album. There's nothing wrong with Vertigo at all, it's just that the nine tracks that follow it are just that good.

To read the full review, visit iPod Garage: http://www.ipodgarage.com/ipod000202.html

Thanks to Nurse Chrissi!

Thanks so much for this article. :applaud:

It's great to finally read reviews about HTDAAB that make sense.

This IS one of the AMAZING albums that I have ever heard made by anyone - let alone U2.

Every song on this album, including the up-tempo ones like Vertigo and ABOY, reaches into the deepest parts of your soul and tries to pull up from it your most GENUINE emotions.:yes:

Whether the song is trying to get the listener to face the reality of the world around them (LAPOE, Crumbs) or whether it is trying to get us to face the reality of our own inner world of hope, despair and Love, HTDAAB succeeds in bringing the listener face to face with themselves and the world around them.

And, because of that, HTDAAB may end up being one of the best albums ever made.:wink:

Add to that, some of the most impassioned and beautiful Rock music ever made decorated with the most inspired singing from one of the most sincere singers ever, and HTDAAB scores at the top of the list!

This work is the musical and personal cumulation of all that U2 has done and has been in their 25 years in the music industry, and it IS their greatest all-around work to date.:up:

As a U2 follower of almost 24 years, I pray that there is still more GREAT MUSIC AND INSPIRATION that U2 has to share with us.

It is TRULY A PRIVILEGE to live in the same time as U2 to share in their wonderful journey Home.

:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I am absolutely perplexed.

I have not gotten the album yet. I asked my family to give it to me for Christmas, so I am waiting until then. Believe me, it's killing me.

But I am constantly reading the reviews, and I cannot believe how mixed they are. There are reviews saying that this is their best album ever, yet there are reviews that say this album is terrible.

For the most part, people here at Interference love the album. But there are a few that say it's bad. The titles of the songs are stunning: Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from Your Table, Love and Peace or Else, etc. Judging from the titles, they sound like incredible songs.

God, I cannot wait any more. 24 more days.

I loved the article and I agree with everything.
There hasn't been a day when I don't listen to this new album several times and I don't think that I can do without it now.
Their work is still my inspiration and my passion.
It's amazing that they can still make me feel this way after more than two decade, with even more passion!
:heart:

Last edited:
TwoAmericas said:
I am absolutely perplexed.

I have not gotten the album yet. I asked my family to give it to me for Christmas, so I am waiting until then. Believe me, it's killing me.

But I am constantly reading the reviews, and I cannot believe how mixed they are. There are reviews saying that this is their best album ever, yet there are reviews that say this album is terrible.

For the most part, people here at Interference love the album. But there are a few that say it's bad. The titles of the songs are stunning: Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from Your Table, Love and Peace or Else, etc. Judging from the titles, they sound like incredible songs.

God, I cannot wait any more. 24 more days.

DONT READ ANY MORE REVIEWS!!!!. Your are "devirginizing" your listening experience. I didnt listen to the album until it was released on CD. I even avoided VERTIGO so that I can get an unadulterated opinion on the album. My suggestion is turn off your computer or at least avoid the threads about the album. Reading what other people may affect your feeling about the album.

Could´t agree more that HTDAAB is a great album, but iPod Garage isn´t the most independent one out there:wink:

A great review for a mindblowing album. I find myself listening to it so much, and it just keeps getting better. It's the culmination of heart, soul, and maturity, flowing out of a seemingly bottomless well of talent.

Last edited:
I think this might be getting a little out of hand. Music is, obviously, subjective. But, possibly "the best album ever made by anyone"? I think the album is good, but it's fairly by-the-numbers for this band (and that means better than most bands at their absolute best!).

I like to put these things into perspective by trying to remember the way I felt the first time listening to past albums. The first time I listened to ACHTUNG BABY I was literally blown away, as in: "wait a second, what the hell IS this?" There was a comfort to the music, in that it was utterly U2. But, there was complete SURPRISE in the fact that it COULDN'T BE U2! They were exploring new ways to creatively convey their passion, and there was a complete sense of freshness and urgency.

This new album feels like a group that knows its strengths, after all this time, and has settled in to play to those strengths. That's not a bad thing, either. It's more comforting, than anything else (as in, "ah, yes, U2"). But, it's certainly not the creative zenith of this band.

I think this might be getting a little out of hand. Music is, obviously, subjective

Ummm yeah, ironically you said it exactly, so this review has no more nor any less significance than your own claim that the band has reached no new heights in creativity, which I completely disagree with.
Like you said, subjectivity, therefore nothing is out of hand; in fact it is very much firmly in place.

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

Amerizoe said:
The first time I listened to ACHTUNG BABY I was literally blown away, as in: "wait a second, what the hell IS this?"
Y'know, that was my EXACT feeling after listening to HTDAAB for the first time. I didn't like it that much, rather I didn't know what to make of it. Every song sounded the same, at the time.

Now that I've had a week for it to settle in. The album is absolutely phenomenal. Definite A material all around, including the bonus track "Fast Cars".

HTDAAB doesn't quite have the newbie/commercial accessibility of ATYCLB, but it is perhaps there most creatively mature album yet. In many ways, HTDAAB easily attains the level of personal & creative maturity that October naively tried & failed to reach.

I was horribly unimpressed by HTDAAB the first time through. :yawn: I was chatting with a person from this forum on-line as I listened and I even commented that U2 might have finally made an album that didn't "wow" me.

Of course, the first few times I heard "One" I also didn't like it. ;)
Now, I believe "One" is one of the best songs ever written. It's not my favorite song by U2, but it is arguably Bono's best lyric and one of U2's most powerful songs. How it failed to win "Record of the Year" is an enigma.

This is a clue as to how I now feel about HTDAAB. It's a grower and I don't think ANY review should be written until after an album has been enjoyed for at least a week. Initial impressions are often changed. A song we loved at first might have a very short shelf life. A song we disliked, suddenly has far more power and meaning upon additional listenings.

If you don't like HTDAAB, that's fine. But don't bemoan those of us who do.

To be honest for myself, the first time I heard HTDAAB, It freaked me out. I had a feeling that this might be their last album.( in my opinion). I have listened to it over a week now over and over again. I like it and it is different to me for U2. I believe that all of their albums hold a special place in all of us. I have to say that City of Blinding Lights is amazing. I also love the groove in Love and Peace or Else. The Orginal Of The Species also is a great song off the album. STYCMIOYO is such a beautiful song. I saw the live version on SNL and it brought me to tears and it still does. Iit reminds me of the relationship i had with my grandfather.:wink: :wink: I feel that they will be around hopefully another decade or so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom