(11-28-2004) Band Aid Single Set to Cause a Stir -- Irish Examiner*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Band Aid Single Set to Cause a Stir

The release of the Band Aid single has left record stores bracing themselves for a massive sales rush.

Hundreds of thousands of music fans are expected to snap up Do They Know It’s Christmas in its first week.

The single is a dead cert to storm the charts and be this year’s Christmas number one, industry experts say.

The single is estimated to make up to €30m for charity.

It is unlikely to match the success of the 1984 original, which sold 750,000 copies in its first week and 3.5 million in total.

Band Aid 20 features stars such as Chris Martin, Dido, Robbie Williams and Justin Hawkins of The Darkness, with Bono reprising his original line: “Well tonight thank God it’s them instead of you.”

Paul McCartney, Jamelia, Busted, Keane and Dizzee Rascal also feature. The new single is again the brainchild of Bob Geldof and Midge Ure.

--Irish Examiner

Does anyone actually like this version of Band Aid?
I think it's awful!

I don't mind giving to a charity, but I won't be buying this CD! I know Bono does his bit on it, but for me, that's not enough reason to go out and buy it.

you don't buy 'Do You Know It's Christmas' because it's a good song.....what a moron!

I think it's awful but I'm still going to buy it, just not going to play it!

after watching live aid I really think they should have released the version sung at the end of that ...with Bono Paul McCartney bob geldolf midge ure ect and the whole live aid uk artists singing along with the crowd I thought it was more thought provoking and inspiring catching a special moment of what it was all about,
I know it might have sounded a bit of key in places and crazy.. but it is also very moving:)

ewen said:
you don't buy 'Do You Know It's Christmas' because it's a good song.....what a moron!

I think it's awful but I'm still going to buy it, just not going to play it!

Well, actually no, you don't necassarily buy "Do THEY know it's Christmas" just for the song.....so no, I'm not a mornon!

I know what the CD is for....I was around when Band Aid was orginally made and was at Wembley for Live Aid. I donated then and I will donate again. But not by buying this CD.

Everyone has their choice which doesn't make them a moron!
If you want to buy a pretty bad Cd just for the cause...then that's you choice. I'd rather not have a bad cd in my collection and donate to the charity another way!

My point is, it's a bad CD. Band Aid 1 was "ok" it was a novelty song for a good cause. Band Aid 2 was pretty terrible and Band Aid 20 has changed too much....they should have made a completely different song using the same artists.
We each have our own opinion.

Sue7465 said:

Everyone has their choice which doesn't make them a moron!
If you want to buy a pretty bad Cd just for the cause...then that's you choice. I'd rather not have a bad cd in my collection and donate to the charity another way!

Here's a solution for you - buy the new CD, then donate it to some charity so that they can resell it for more money!

goat

The Live Aid 13th July 1985 version of Do They Know it's Christmas? taken from the Live Aid DVD is on the Band Aid 20 CD single along with the new 2004 version of the song & the original 1984 version.

In today's Sun(UK) newspaper Band Aid co-founder Bob Geldof asks you to go and buy this record & make your voice heard.

1. For the poor, the hungry, the sick and mute, the weak and tired, the beaten down and trod upon , the innocent and the dying.
2. Because 50 percent of Africans are children & most will go to bed hungry tonight & that is intolerabe.
3.Because more people will die of hunger in Africa this year than from war, Aids, malaria, TB, and polio combined.
4 Because it's a bit of pop history, it's not a bad record & four generations of musicians got together as the situation in Africa makes them ashamed and sick.
5. Because 20 years after we sang for change. change is still needed.
6. Because when you buy it you will keep some one alive.
7. Because the day you die, there will be someone alive in Africa because you bought it.
8. Because Christmas time is a time for thinking of others and giving gifts to those we love.
9. Because in a world of plenty no one shoud die of hunger
10. Because this is a wound that can't be healed by pop singers and those who buy their records.It is the politicians job to fix it, not ours.Politicians MUST know millions of us bought this song to demand that people do not go to bed hungry again, that people stop dying of hunger, that people stop dying on our TV screens every night.

Politicians MUST know millions of us bought this song to demand that people do not go to bed hungry again, that people stop dying of hunger, that people stop dying on our TV screens every night.

This is a very good point. I was thinking of donating to Oxfam and NOT buying the single but if its also an issue of showing solidarity and standing up and being counted then I will buy it (and shove it under the bed and forget about it)

Back
Top Bottom