(11-25-2006) Bono's sweetest (Kiwi) thing - New Zealand Herald*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono's sweetest (Kiwi) thing

By Catherine Woulfe

He sang to her, rested his head on her stomach, gave her his hat and knelt down before her. As she left he mouthed "thank you" and blew her a kiss - and took his hat back.

It was the sweetest thing.

Cassidy Van Dyk was up at 3am the morning U2 tickets went on sale.

Desperate to be near the front, near Bono, she arrived at Mt Smart stadium 14 hours before Friday's concert started.

By the second encore, the 19-year-old had been standing so long she thought she might fall over.

And then, halfway through Mysterious Ways, came the moment.

"When he pointed at me I was just in shock, I couldn't believe it was actually happening... I'm just remembering it now, actually..."

She blushes.

"I was actually trying to get his attention a lot of the time. I got a few tips from a lot of the Australians who had been to about four shows. I knew that in Mysterious Ways he was probably looking for someone, so I made an effort to stand out a bit."

Cassidy, a receptionist at Newmarket hair salon Servilles, said she worked on bass player Adam Clayton throughout the concert.

But in the end, the sweaty superstar and the determined teenager wore their hearts on their sleeves.

"[Bono] looked in my direction," Cassidy said. "I made myself obvious - I waved at him to come down.

"I was wearing two wristbands, a Make Poverty History one, and one that I'd been given by an Irish guy in line. Then he lifted up his sleeve - he was wearing exactly the same wristbands, both colours.

"Two seconds later he pointed at me."

She remembers the security guards lifting her up and Bono kneeling, singing With or Without You - and not taking his eyes off hers for a second.

She remembers running her hand through Bono's hair. She noticed he'd just had a haircut and he was very sweaty.

"He didn't say anything at all, the whole time - the only thing he said to me was 'thank you' when I went offstage. It's a little bit of a daze."

He loaned her his hat for a few minutes - not, notably, the cowboy hat the band just won back off former stylist Lola Cashman.

Cashman said the hat, a pair of hoop earrings, a green sweatshirt and a pair of black trousers were a gift. Bono said they were taken during the band's Joshua Tree tour in 1987.

She tried to sell the "gifts" through Christie's in 2002 but the Dublin High Court forced her to hand them back two weeks ago.

So Bono was taking no risks on Friday night with Cassidy.

"He took [the hat] off and put it on me, but then he took it back again. He didn't actually give it to me."

Cassidy laughs off suggestions she should have taken the hat and crowd-dived - a roadie did give her the band's playlist, and she says "nothing... nothing" will ever top her night with Bono.

Instead, spare a thought for the woman who stood two people away from her.

"She said 'If you want to get up on stage you should stick next to me - 85 per cent of girls are standing next to me when they're pulled up."'

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10412482

Re: Re: (11-25-2006) Bono's sweetest (Kiwi) thing - New Zealand Herald*

violetfly said:

Who is this mysterious woman?

I have a good idea...the (very cool) woman that stood next to Sarah in the front row inside the ellipse predicted that she would end up on stage! She said that Bono ALWAYS picks the person right next to her. She's been to at least 20 shows so far this tour (including a bunch of the Australia concerts as well as NZ), and I know she's heading to Hawaii. Sarah and I have been hoping she would have her moment with the band, and she finally did at the book signing in NYC 9/26/06...we were so happy for her! When she gets back from NZ, I will ask her if she is the one mentioned in the article.
~Liz

Back
Top Bottom