(11-25-2005) Bono 'crushed' by PM's stance on global poverty - CTV*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono 'crushed' by PM's stance on global poverty

CTV.ca News Staff

Appearing on Parliament Hill, U2 frontman Bono said he's not just disappointed -- he's crushed -- by Prime Minister Paul Martin's failure to commit 0.7 per cent of GDP to eliminating global poverty.

With a federal election looming over Ottawa, Bono appealed to the "better nature" of what he called a "better country" to implore their prime minister to make the commitment without further delay.

At a packed press conference Friday afternoon, the outspoken Irish rocker told reporters Martin's reluctance to make the pledge flies in the face of public opinion.

"The Canadian people are ahead of the prime minister on these global poverty issues," Bono said, pointing to a recent EKOS poll that found widespread support for "more of the national purse into the world's poorest countries."

"This is the reason why I'm a fan of Canada," he added.

The fact the opinions of Martin and the Canadian public appear so far apart when it comes to meeting the 0.7 per cent aid target set out in the 'Make Poverty History' campaign, he said, have left him mystified and angry.

"I'm not just disappointed, I'm crushed actually," he said, blasting the former finance minister for not finding a way to make the numbers work.

"I'm mystified actually by the man at this point ... I just think it's a huge opportunity that he's missing out on."

Conceding the "absurdity" of a rockstar weighing in on such serious political issues, Bono said this issue is simply too dire for him to ignore.

"What we're really talking about is extreme poverty, stupid poverty, a brutal poverty that can be avoided," he explained. "It's something we just cannot permit."

When asked whether he thought Martin should be punished come election day, Bono warned the PM to expect to pay a political price.

"I think he will hear about it and feel it in the election, I'm absolutely sure of that -- this is not to be underestimated," he said, promising to raise the issue with every political leader he could during his time in the capital.

Mayor Bob Chiarelli has officially declared Friday U2 day in Ottawa, to coincide with a concert event the capital has been anticipating wildly for almost a year.

Since the Ottawa stop in the band's worldwide Vertigo tour was announced, Bono has made no secret the gig carries unusually political overtones.

"Paul Martin asked us to play the gig," Bono said when the date was first confirmed, promising to turn the event into a celebration or protest -- depending on whether or not Martin decided to sign on to spending 0.7 per cent of national income on foreign aid.

Bono, who lent his considerable star power to Martin's Liberal leadership victory celebration, has repeatedly described Martin as a "friend."

During an April concert in Vancouver, however, he chastised Martin for breaking a promise to meet the target.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...vertyhistory_20051125/20051125?hub=TopStories

Thanks Josh!

Bono did promise that if Paul Martin didn't hold up to his promises he (Bono) was going to be "the biggest pain in his arse!" I know that Bono will keep his promise... he's a man of his word, unlike that lying snake Martin. :madspit:

Bono's Debt Relief efforts are being seen and felt in Afirca

I had the wonderful opportunity to speak with several missionaries from various contries in Africa several weeks ago at my church in Brookfield,Wisconsin. Each had said thier countries have been able to do great things for their people directly due to the efforts of Bono and his Debt Relief program. Monies that once were spent on repayment of debt is now being spent on their own people's needs such as food, medical needs, and education. Most of these countries are Christian, most of the Muslim counstries are still having difficulities with civil wars; and most governments did not trust the monies would go directly to the people. They, the missionaries I had the privelege of speaking with, were so thankful for the Debt Relief program. THANK YOU, BONO! Oh, now they are working on providing Bibles free of charge for all who have been requesting them in their own language! This had been a big problem for them. Bono, do not be discourgaged by one narrow minded Prime Minister in Canada. Canada has always been a sorta "keep to themselves" country. Your efforts are beeing felt where it counts most...by the poeple in Africa you are dedicating your life to. My prayers are with you! Thank you!
Liz Sarkissian
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

"I'm not just disappointed, I'm crushed actually," he said, blasting the former finance minister for not finding a way to make the numbers work.

"I'm mystified actually by the man at this point ... I just think it's a huge opportunity that he's missing out on."

When asked whether he thought Martin should be punished come election day, Bono warned the PM to expect to pay a political price.

"I think he will hear about it and feel it in the election, I'm absolutely sure of that -- this is not to be underestimated," he said, promising to raise the issue with every political leader he could during his time in the capital.

I hope that Bono who is most definitely a man of his word, will stick it to the PM and become the BIGGEST pain in the arse to the guy, not only to him but to any and every political figure in Canada until he is successful in getting AT LEAST the 0.7.

And Liz, the post above was absolitely brilliant! It is information just like yours that really needs to be brought forward for the masses, ESPECIALLY for the political figures such as the PM to hear about the successes that are happening in African communities resulting from the debt reduction aid and assistance. Thank you for that Post, I was near tears reading it, I was very touched. I know nearly every person who reads it will agree. I hope you don't mind if I pass the post along to others in some groups I am involved with to prove that the assistance is working? Feel free to PM me O/L if you wish. But thank you again, so much. And I have faith Bono will persevere and he will be successful in getting what Canada hinted they were willing to give. Canadian population will not let this go.

Re: Bono's Debt Relief efforts are being seen and felt in Afirca

faith777 said:
Bono, do not be discourgaged by one narrow minded Prime Minister in Canada. Canada has always been a sorta "keep to themselves" country.
Liz Sarkissian
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

The PM of Canada is not narrow minded. Perhaps you are confusing him with Shrub down south. You obviously do not know much about Canada which is amazing considering you live so close to it. The PM has reason as to not match the 0.7...YET. There is an incredible amount of priorities in Canada such as sorting out our universal healthcare system which costs billions. Raising foreign aid to 0.7 will cost alot of money. Canada does not have the resources to do that, YET. I think I'll listen to my elected head of government, who happens to have a positive, proven, track-record with fiscal responsibilites then a rockstar. Sorry Bono.

You mention Canada is a country that "keeps to themselves", holy crap this is something I thought I would never read anywhere. You can't be serious?! Canadians are known internationally as compassionate, tolerant and friendly people. This is why you will find US travellers worldwide wearing Canadian flags on their backpacks.

-Canada is one of the most multi-cultural countries in the world.
-Canada invented peacekeeping in 1957(PM Pearson won the Nobel Peace Prize).
-Canada has contributed troops to every single UN operation since it's creation. No other country has done that but Fiji.
-Canada recently commanded all allied naval operations in the Persian Gulf.
-Canada participated in and volunteered in WWI, WWII, Korean War and quite a few Canadians actually volunteered in the US military to fight in Vietnam, which the US accepted.
-Canada recently commanded Nato operations in Afghanistan.
-Canada is a G-7 country.
-Canada is a top 10 provider of funds to the budget of the United Nations.
-A Canadian currently heads NORAD. Yes, we are assisting in protecting you from evil doers.
-Canada is a member of the Commonwealth(British Empire). Today's Commonwealth is an association of 53 countries. It's 1.8 billion citizens, about 30 per cent of the world's population are drawn from the broadest range of faiths, races, cultures and traditions. Members range from vast countries like Canada to small island states like Malta.
-Vancouver is home to the Commonwealth of Nations, Commonwealth of Learning.
-Canada is a member of the European Space Agency. We also have our own space agency. You that robotic arm on the space shuttle....ya thats Canadian.
-Canada is one of few countries to host 3 Olympics.
-Canada has signed the Ottawa Treaty. That is the ban on land mines worldwide. Guess who hasn't signed it....the USA, Russian and China.
-Canada has ratified the Kyoto Protocol. USA...hmmm....not.
-Canada is a member of the International Criminal Court. The USA......well they didn't want to be a part of that either.
-A Canadian, John de Chastelain was head of Independent International Commission on Decommissioning of weapons in Northern Ireland as part of the peace process.
-Where was the first Search/Rescue team internationally to arrive in New Orleans from. Canada. Oh and by the way they got there before the US Army. We also sent 3 naval ships and cops.
-Last but not least. Canada shares the same head of state or Sovereign(QE II) with 15 other countries also known as Commonwealth Realms.

Ya we sure "keep to ourselves" don't we.

Sorry about the rant folks but that comment needed to be answered to as it was not only baffling but completely incorrect.

I´m curious what Bono´s gonna do now.

As we can see, our political leaders are betrayers. I would not wonder a bit if Bono would face the same troubles with the US and European countries.

Talking is not going to be enough. I saw Bono on the Edinburgh DVD (coming back from the golf course etc.), already then he was disappointed. You could see it in his face, hear it in his words.

"He's a good man and he's been improving. Every time you shout he hears you" - Bono about Martin.

Biggest pain in the ass? We´ll see. Don´t go to lunch with Bush too often, Bono. These people will always betray you. They´re politicians, not rock stars.

If Bono wants to be a pain in the ass, why not write a song about it. A press conference will be forgotten in a couple of days. A couple of songs on an album will be remembered for a long time.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Bono's Debt Relief efforts are being seen and felt in Afirca

Slipstream said:

The PM of Canada is not narrow minded. Perhaps you are confusing him with Shrub down south.

-edit just for space

Sorry about the rant folks but that comment needed to be answered to as it was not only baffling but completely incorrect.

Thank you for your excellent post. I cringe whenever I see someone blast Canada.

Please note that Bono has not ever attacked Canada or her government. He has only chastised Martin. Martin made a promise. He made this promise not just to Bono, not just to his fellow Canadians, but to the world. To date, he has not honored this promise. And this is what is raising the ire of not just Bono, but the Canadian voters. Martin may still win, but he may feel a hit in his numbers. After all, if Martin can't get this number to work or feels he simply cannot honor that commitment, what other areas will he fail?

You kept stating that Martin hasn't hit that 0.7% number YET. However - and this is true for all other governments as well - that number is very reachable. I've found leaders make all sorts of excuses. They are quick to make cuts on all programs of aid. They'll cut Medicare, healthcare or school lunches or aid to other countries - but they'll leave tax breaks for the rich or huge corporations. They'll leave in $$ to have good roads repaved (while road that need repaving are neglected) as this is a union operation.

To me, the first priority should always be to aid the poor of one's own country and of those around the world. Good economy should be #2. Get people healthy, then get them working. If people have their social security or healthcare or aid taken away, it'll be nearly impossible for them to recover. Their lives will spiral downward. And given how many economies are struggling, like in the U.S., expecting these people to just "get a job" is illogical. This is why I feel aid - in one's own country and around the world - is so crucial.

Canad has always been one of, if not the, most generous country in the world. I hope Martin continues this trend. His actions could set a tone that other countries must follow.

yes, thanks dr. who.

i find it hilarious how bono seems to have a real knack for blasting martin during times of domestic duress, it won't help his cause at all.

and it's also odd how whenever bush/blair/eu members "crush" bono, i've never heard him use such strong language.

some of you know nothing, and i do mean NOTHING about canada and for you to go and call our prime minister narrow-minded is appalling. like my spelling. he's pretty much legalized gay marriage and pot in the few years he's been in power. were you aware?

probably not.

but then again, why would you care? bono's words hold more water, and it's so much easier to ONLY look at what he has to say, rather than looking for what's really going on yourselves.

Zoomerang96 said:

some of you know nothing, and i do mean NOTHING about canada and for you to go and call our prime minister narrow-minded is appalling. like my spelling. he's pretty much legalized gay marriage and pot in the few years he's been in power. were you aware?

Totally different issue. (I am not Canadian, so you can critisize me for not keeping my tongue in cheek; and most definitely, Canada is one of the most beautiful countries on earth.) This is about 0.7% and 250 million people supporting the campaign worldwide, so I don´t give a f how liberal Martin is on other domestic issues. That would be mixing the things up. Martin apparently has promised the 0.7% and just doesn´t keep his promise.

Canada is not the only country with domestic problems. In fact, nearly every country is huge debts, and most countries have high costs for their social system. But nonetheless we have much more money than Afrcian countries. These poor countries have nothing. They would love to have a social system, a good education or health system, and citizens who are able to afford modern technical equipment. But they can't. They hardly have enough money to feed the citizens.
And that's not only because they don't have enough to eat, it's more because the people can't buy these products because we don't allow them to export their products. They are free to import, but they have no chance to export. They just can't compete on the free market.
And even if they can export, e.g. bananas, caocao or coffee, the farmers don't get enough money.

So, European or North American countries should be the last to say that they can't help poor nations.
And, as I said in the other thread, we shouldn't just transfer our money to Africa, but also give them the chance to earn some money by exporting. In the long run this will be much cheaper for us, and improve the situation in Africa much more than donating millions of Dollars.

well, Paul Martin is nearly history now as the Cnadian Parliament this evening has given his government a vote of "no confidence".

Elections for a new PM should be sometime next year.

Can we do something like that in the USA? :laugh:

It's me...Liz, the one who called Canada's PM "narrow minded". I'd like to appologize if I offended anyone. I have nothing against Canada. I have a friend who lives in Ontario; I know how beautiful Canada is and how wonderful it truly is. Honest! I was just speaking about the specific topic of which we were discussing here. I didn't expand my political thinking a whole lot past that other than how Canada is pretty much a "good girl country" that minds its own business. Nothing personal. Anyway,
I was only thinking about the noble efforts U2 AND OTHERS are making to help Africa. Don't forget the big picture. Africa is a big continent with many countries all run by different politics, religions, and so forth. My sister-in-law is an actress in Egypt. Egypt is a very different world than the Congo, Zambia, or one of the many countries within Africa's borders. Some countries have very primitive needs. Some are rich yet the people are starving and dieing of disease because their country is run by rebels.
Relieving their debt is ebabling these countries to help themselves! What a concept! And it doesn't take too much effort from their debtors. But it takes prayer, people taking action, and people like Bono knocking on the doors of debtors. Bono is a Voice for all of us who want to help but do not know how and who are not granted the opportunity to get heads of politics to listen.
What can we do?
We can pray for policital ears to hear, for missionaries embedded within these countries dedicating their lives for these people we are all just talking about, and for the individual countries themselves. We can also write our political leaders and those around the world to let our voices be heard.
And we can talk as we are, sharing our thoughts and ideas and helping each other with our own narrow-mindedness to understand each other!:der: ;)
Thanks for listening.
OH!
"CAREK1230"...I am sorry, I was not able to do PMs yet. I'm sorta new at this site and just signed up tonight for the real deal so hopefully I'll have the abitliy to do so soon. Thanks for your support.
HAVE A GREAT DAY, EVERYBODY!
Liz

I am overall disappointed by a lot of things in the various Africa campaigns. I don't believe the grassroots has taken off. I don't believe the middle class has been convinced this is a valiant and necessary effort.

Aside from that, if you think that the people of Canada are going to boot Paul Martin's ass because of what Bono said or even because of his inaction on Africa, you are living on another planet. If PM loses it will not have anything to do with this. And if Bush is ousted and if Blair and the other lying scumbags are ousted, it will not be because of Africa. The general populace just does not, at this point in time, find this to be a pressing matter. I don't know why, but that is the reality we are facing.

And I will tell you from personal experience, walking around a world renowned research institute where I work, talking to people about Bono - understand, these are super educated intelligent folks and not a single one can stand Bono's diatribes anymore. And they find his commentary on Martin (most of them didn't even vote for him, he's too far centre for them) to be irritating. So I can only imagine what the more conservative Canadians are thinking about all this.

anitram said:
I am overall disappointed by a lot of things in the various Africa campaigns. I don't believe the grassroots has taken off. I don't believe the middle class has been convinced this is a valiant and necessary effort.

Aside from that, if you think that the people of Canada are going to boot Paul Martin's ass because of what Bono said or even because of his inaction on Africa, you are living on another planet. If PM loses it will not have anything to do with this. And if Bush is ousted and if Blair and the other lying scumbags are ousted, it will not be because of Africa. The general populace just does not, at this point in time, find this to be a pressing matter. I don't know why, but that is the reality we are facing.

And I will tell you from personal experience, walking around a world renowned research institute where I work, talking to people about Bono - understand, these are super educated intelligent folks and not a single one can stand Bono's diatribes anymore. And they find his commentary on Martin (most of them didn't even vote for him, he's too far centre for them) to be irritating. So I can only imagine what the more conservative Canadians are thinking about all this.

As I had said before, I was speaking nothing about this whole voting or not voting thing for your PM...I was merely standing up for Bono's attempt to help a continent in need of help. Plain, Pure, and obviously not simple.
I understand people have trouble with an Irish rock star playing the roll of a begging lobbyist. All that aside, his heart is in the right place, as is yours I am sure.

anitram said:

:hug: Well said. All we can do is work on it.

"all we can do is work on it" is very well put. All involved need to work on things...I agree. Thoughts and prayers with everybody!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom