(11-25-2004) Chernobyl Children's Campaign Rallies Against Plan -- Evening Echo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Chernobyl Children's Campaign Rallies Against Belarus Plans

The Chernobyl Children’s Project International (CCPI) today warned thousands of children suffering from the effects of nuclear contamination in Belarus are in danger if authorities impose foreign travel restrictions.

The CCPI agency has taken more than 11,000 children from the country to Ireland since 1991 for medical treatment and recuperation.

Recognised by the UN as the biggest single donor country, Ireland also sends tens of thousands of euro in aid and medical expertise to the contaminated area every year.

CCPI executive director Adi Roche said: “There are up to 500,000 children forced to breathe, eat and sleep in the Chernobyl contaminated zone. I have deep concern for them today. This is beyond politics. This is a humanitarian issue.”

The former Soviet state announced plans last week to tighten up regulations on foreign adoption and the foreign travel of children suffering from the effects of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

Ms Roche said she alerted foreign affairs minister Dermot Ahern to the issue last Friday and he has been since spearheading the EU’s opposition to the Belarusian legislative proposals.

Dermot Ahern, whose family has hosted Chernobyl children in the past, said: “This issue is of the utmost priority for the Irish Government and I will be aiming to highlight it through the appropriate political and diplomatic channels within the EU.”

Ms Roche and Ali Hewson, the wife of Bono, are due to meet President Mary McAleese today at Áras an Uachtarain to raise the issue with her.

--Evening Echo

Back
Top Bottom