(11-24-2005) Morleigh Performing in LA -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Morleigh Performing in LA

Morleigh Steinberg will be performing three shows next week in Los Angeles with the Body Weather Laboratory, the dance company run by her sister Roxanne and Oguri. The performance is called "A Rose For ..." and will run December 2-4 at Electric Lodge in Venice. The Friday and Saturday performances are at 8 p.m., Sunday's is at 4 p.m. Admission is $15, $12 for students and seniors.

According to the performance's official web page, the dance, "is a dance series inspired by the literature of William Faulkner. Picked, prodded, dissected, honored, and now offered is the rose. Dance is a temporal art that exist in the present just as of the flower is fleeting. A flower seeks the light, growing and developing accordingly. It finds the right time and right place to blossom."

For more information on the performance, visit the Body Weather Laboratory site or the "A Rose For ..." page.

Last edited:
lol...I see the company's site has exceeded its data transfer allocation...wonder why!

Faulkner is probably my favorite author, I would love to see a dance series inspired by his works.

I wonder what it feels like, to have had an established professional identity and a name in your field in your own right for 10+ years, then suddenly be drawing all this attention from people attracted by who your husband is.

yolland said:
lol...I see the company's site has exceeded its data transfer allocation...wonder why!

Faulkner is probably my favorite author, I would love to see a dance series inspired by his works.

I wonder what it feels like, to have had an established professional identity and a name in your field in your own right for 10+ years, then suddenly be drawing all this attention from people attracted by who your husband is.

When I met her she didn't seem to mind at all, she was actually the one to bring it up initially and joke about it.

I think she knows people that are actually 'in' her field don't care who Edge or U2 are and she was well, well off long before she met him, so that's fabulous for her.

I didn't get to speak with Morleigh (but she did smile at me while walking around the theater beforehand) and wasn't able to take pictures because the theater was really small and it would have been very distracting for everyone there. Of course, I did have a major coughing fit during the middle of the performance, am so embarassed and want to deeply apologize to everyone there for that.

Okay, onto the performance. I really didn't know what to expect other than that the dance would be very modern. It was. The piece was inspired by various Faulkner stories, including "A Rose For Emily," and the three dancers played two parts each--one male and one female. All of the dancing was very small, very precise, a lot of isolations and distorted movements. The most fascinating thing to me was how everything was choreographed, including eye and mouth movements.

Morleigh was beautiful and strong and graceful. I'm in total awe of her strength and the control she has over her body because so many of the movements were really difficult. Like at the opening of the piece, Morleigh was the only one on the stage and she was laying there flat with her head up for minutes. If I was doing that, I know I'd be shaking, but she was totally solid.

I don't know if I'd see another performance like this because it's not quite my cup of tea but I'm really excited I had the chance to see Morleigh do her own thing and learn a little bit more about "Mrs. Edge."

I did scan the postcard and program for those who are interested.

345694%3B523232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3238%3E%3A%3A3%3E23%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B99%3A54%3Bnu0mrj

345694%3B523232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3238%3E%3A%3A3%3E23%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B999775nu0mrj

345694%3B523232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3238%3E%3A%3A3%3E23%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B999778nu0mrj

345694%3B523232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3238%3E%3A%3A3%3E23%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B999796nu0mrj

345694%3B523232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2329%3D%3B94%3D32%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232427%3A%3A8%3B478ot1lsi

:cute:

Thanks for the report Devlin. :hug: It doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in seeing either, but that's one good thing about being a U2 fan, they always give us a chance to expand ourselves. I wouldn't be aware of half of the dancing world if it wasn't for Morleigh. (If any of that makes sense.)

Awwww - David Evans. :cute: :applaud:

Thanks for the update on the performance! Was Edge there on Saturday night??? I went Friday night and he was there! Like you said, the theater and environment was too small/intimate to take pictures or try to talk to him, but it was really cool to be in the same room with him up-close.

shaz1992 said:
Thanks for the update on the performance! Was Edge there on Saturday night??? I went Friday night and he was there! Like you said, the theater and environment was too small/intimate to take pictures or try to talk to him, but it was really cool to be in the same room with him up-close.

Thanks Devlin for all the info.

I think it would have been cool to be in the same room, however small, WITH Dave Evans....as in on the OTHER SIDE OF THE STAGE along with him watching his wife's work. That is awesome despite his huge celebrity status that he would support Morleigh by being there in the audience like a normal "fan" of her work and of the dance world.

Back
Top Bottom