(11-23-2004) U2.Com To Relaunch, This Week - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Where, how & what did you already pay for?

MBH said:

Mike,

Thanks for the help & info. However, here in the US(NY), there is no offer in the sales/shop area to purchase a membership to the site just yet.

Also, it only guarantees priority BOOKING for tix for the tour. They don't even guarantee you tix!!! That is ridiculous! It kills me to say it, but U2 are truly money-hungry, capitalists pigs before musicians!!!

Nobody is forcing you to part with your $40. Don't join if you don't think its worth it. Oh and by the way, when someone offers me $1000 per ticket for my U2 tix (as they did for my Prop tix on the Zootv tour), I will be thinking of you.

U2 has always gone out of their way for their best fans and I feel confident they will do the same with this membership.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where, how & what did you already pay for?

Johnovox said:

Nobody is forcing you to part with your $40. Don't join if you don't think its worth it. Oh and by the way, when someone offers me $1000 per ticket for my U2 tix (as they did for my Prop tix on the Zootv tour), I will be thinking of you.

U2 has always gone out of their way for their best fans and I feel confident they will do the same with this membership.

Johnovox,

You are stating the obvious and sound redundant when you say that I don't have to part with my $40.

Instead of thinking of me when you sell your tix for $1,000, you should think U2 because it is obvious that you both have the same goal in mind: earn as much money as possible!!!!!!

By the way, how has U2 'always gone out of their way for their best fans...'?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where, how & what did you already pay for?

MBH said:

Johnovox,

You are stating the obvious and sound redundant when you say that I don't have to part with my $40.

Instead of thinking of me when you sell your tix for $1,000, you should think U2 because it is obvious that you both have the same goal in mind: earn as much money as possible!!!!!!

By the way, how has U2 'always gone out of their way for their best fans...'?

Wrong again. I was offered the $$$, but never parted with my Prop tix, even though at the time I was a poor college student and could have used the cash. The point is that U2 have always taken care of their loyal fans. Don't believe it, don't join the club. I will pay my reduced $20 fee for Prop subscribers and feel confident that the band will take care of us.

Folks..this is NOT going to guaruntee you tickets, like the snail Propaganda did. SORRY.
I had misgivings about this from Day 1.

The reason why all Prop members were able to get tix (even if sometimes they came only 2 wks before the show!There were a lot of screw-ups over the yrs in the ordering process, but in the end, I never heard of anyobdy not getting their tix--there was always a number to call if there was a problem, and yes, people answered the phone )) was because the fan club was almost a total secret. Over the yrs it was never advertised, not even on album sleeves. It never said "Join the official U2 fan club." It said, "for U2 information write to: U2 World Service." ".And nobody found out about the ticket option until they subscribed. In the years before the Net, it was easy to keep the number of memberships to say, less than 20,000. I do beleive the total number of members in the U.S never got above 27,000 or so. Some DJ in NYC blabbed about the fan club in 2001 and there was a huge surge of memberships that year. (I joined in 199O and my membership # was 13,000 and something.) Thus, they were able to keep the rate of membership subscribers at a slow but steady annual rate of climbing.

Now, think about it. Imagine the number of hits U2.com is going to get once word of this gets around. Not only is the ticket service being run through the band's official website, which everybody knows about, but it is being opened to non- Prop. members as well. I am estimating that there will be a MASSIVE run on subscriptions the first 2 hours this officially goes up. The frenzy over membershipos will be a dress rehersal to the frenzy for the pre-sale.

There might even be a secret "quota" on the number of members who can get tix. Which we outside the biz won't know of course. If you say have a slow computer or are not able to join right away, you may lose out on a ticket option if you are low enough on the "list." There are only so many tickets to go around, after all. So the $40 people may not be able to order, or if they do, they may get anasty surprise: no tickets, b/c the system told them they had sld out of the available number. I undertsand the band are trying to be democratic by opening this up to non-Prop members, but too many people have heard stories about Prop and the word has gotten around the past few yrs. There are simply too many people this time for ticket demand to be filled online.

So unlike before, when you just got your envelope form and sent it back in, online, the rule is ALWAYS: first come, first serve. Before, the subscription process was very slow. Now, you can do it in minutes.

THe Net is NEVER democratic. And that's what I will always hate about this. The band have no experience running a thing like this. I predict a fouk-up. For examplke: It already says, "98% of prop memekbers have subscribed to the new site." Hello?? I haven't gotten my letter yet or even know if I'll be getting one...where does this 98% come from??? Are they assuming that all Prop memebers have gotten their letters and have used the card to sign up? How can we sign up if we can't find the place??

Last edited:
I agree that the secret's out. And, yes, I am more worried about the scalpers who will take advantage of this. However, I would not be surprised that they sell as many tickets as they can through U2.com. The again, the more people who frown at the subscription price, the better it is for the rest of us.

John: You don't know how desperate some people are. And to think about it: Subscription price to the snail Prop was what, $30 or $35 a year? So this is basically no change. The online _re-subscription fee" for current Prop emembers is actually cheaper. And while some people may gripe at having to pay allover again even if they were due old issues, a re-payment is the best way to do this, to refresh the database and see how many want to make the change. If I were running the site I'd do it too, and not worry about cheating peopel out of a measly $20. It's just best for logistical reasons. People should look at other acts' policies and see, we're still lucky.

Can;t wait to find out the ticket price this tour..I suspect it willbe more expensive then before..say $150 for "Golden Circle" this time...

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
John: You don't know how desperate some people are. And to think about it: Subscription price to the snail Prop was what, $30 or $35 a year? So this is basically no change.

Propaganda was USD 20.00 for four issues, no matter how long those issues took.

So basically the only ones who are being allowed to "renew" are those who are still current.

Somebody on another list from NYC got her letter today and it said you have to join Propaganda by Nov 20, 2005. To get ijto the "online" club I guess. She also got a special access code to the Prop area of the site.

Now what I am concerend with is this....is there going to be a differencial in the site database for the $20 members vs the $40 members? The $ 20 ones will be the Prop people. Will they still get secret ticket info on the site via their special access code before the $40 people? Such as tour dates, ordering "forms", access codes etc? Why open this up to non-Prop members if you still wan to guaruntee Prop members tix ? They want to replicate the old fan club, and they don't want to tick the old members off.

This is being advertised as open and equal, there will be no difference between the $20 and the $40 people. If so, why give the Prop members a special card with an access code etc at all, if the Subscription price is just a cosmetic difference? After all, we'll all be plugging into the same info won't we? Why not just have them register when the site goes fully public? What will they need an access code or special card for ? Isn't their site info and password enough. Why bother to set up a seperate "area" for them at all .

We won't have any special info in our hands when we register. Is it so they can tune into the site daily and get word of things before the "public" members? Or have tivket ordering options the rest don't have?

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
So basically the only ones who are being allowed to "renew" are those who are still current.

Somebody on another list from NYC got her letter today and it said you have to join Propaganda by Nov 20, 2005. To get ijto the "online" club I guess. She also got a special access code to the Prop area of the site.

Now what I am concerend with is this....is there going to be a differencial in the site database for the $20 members vs the $40 members? The $ 20 ones will be the Prop people. Will they still get secret ticket info on the site via their special access code before the $40 people? Such as tour dates, ordering "forms", access codes etc? Why open this up to non-Prop members if you still wan to guaruntee Prop members tix ? They want to replicate the old fan club, and they don't want to tick the old members off.

This is being advertised as open and equal, there will be no difference between the $20 and the $40 people. If so, why give the Prop members a special card with an access code etc at all, if the Subscription price is just a cosmetic difference? After all, we'll all be plugging into the same info won't we? Why not just have them register when the site goes fully public? What will they need an access code or special card for ? Isn't their site info and password enough. Why bother to set up a seperate "area" for them at all .

We won't have any special info in our hands when we register. Is it so they can tune into the site daily and get word of things before the "public" members? Or have tivket ordering options the rest don't have?

I doubt there will be a special area for Prop fans. It sounds like all U2.com members ($40 or $20) get a u2.com membership card. I am merely speculating, but I bet the secret code on the card sent to prop members is only for purposes of getting the $20 discount. From that point on, I assume all members will be treated equal. Personally, its a real bummer because I know the chance of getting primo seats is dramatically reduced. It was practically guaranteed under the old Prop program. Oh well.

I think it will all be equal.

The only difference is the active prop members already get their membership card in the mail (with the letter) (which won't become activated until the additional USD20 is paid) and the people who are signing up now will receive this same membership card (already activated) in the mail after they sign up.

That's my interpretation, anyway. I just want to get the letter.

The article on U2.com says "guaranteed priority ticket booking for the 2005 tour". Where I come from, "guaranteed" means just that: if you sign up for membership, you WILL get tickets. If that's not what they mean, the wording needs to be changed, asap.

It also mentions a membership card. I'm thinking if they handle this right, it would mean an end to scalping. Propaganda tickets are for Propaganda members only, no exceptions. Tickets sold thru the club would be marked, and you would have to have the ticket, and your ID card, and a photo ID when you get to the arena. This would prevent anyone from joining up just to get the good seats and then eBay them: without the ID card, the tickets would not be honored. To prevent confusion at the arenas, Prop members could enter at one specific gate, with U2 people on hand to help the arena people check ID's... maybe even let us in early or something. (F'r instance, "Show starts at 8pm, gates open at 7pm, fan club members may enter thru gate 12 at 6:30".)

Thoughts?

Chris

$40 isn't all that bad. At the Rolling Stones official site, a premium membership is $65, and a platinum one is $100. :ohmy: You only get special access to tickets with the $100 option.

I'm willing to swing $40 for U2.

slapshot said:
It also mentions a membership card. I'm thinking if they handle this right, it would mean an end to scalping. Propaganda tickets are for Propaganda members only, no exceptions. Tickets sold thru the club would be marked, and you would have to have the ticket, and your ID card, and a photo ID when you get to the arena. This would prevent anyone from joining up just to get the good seats and then eBay them: without the ID card, the tickets would not be honored. To prevent confusion at the arenas, Prop members could enter at one specific gate, with U2 people on hand to help the arena people check ID's... maybe even let us in early or something. (F'r instance, "Show starts at 8pm, gates open at 7pm, fan club members may enter thru gate 12 at 6:30".)

Thoughts?

Chris

That would be pure genius. Congrats on a great first post.

To prevent confusion at the arenas, Prop members could enter at one specific gate, with U2 people on hand to help the arena people check ID's... maybe even let us in early or something. (F'r instance, "Show starts at 8pm, gates open at 7pm, fan club members may enter thru gate 12 at 6:30".)

Thoughts?

Last time Prince had a concert in Holland, the fanclub members were allowed to witness the soundcheck in the afternoon. After that Prince talked to some fans too.

BTW: all fanclub members where allowed in the 'pit' area (like the heart at the Elevation Tour). That's an even better idea.

Last edited:
for those with greed on their mind, ponder this:

i'm truly fortunate, or have been (don't want to make presumtions about the future), to receive free tickets for U2 shows from Principle Management - don't ask how or why!

Anyhow, I GAVE AWAY my spare tickets to unemployed U2 fans instead of making a fortune.

So, I really hope those who plan to make $$$ on these tickets consider how many harcore U2 fans out there can't actually afford to go to see them at one show never mind following them from one country to the next.

Also, after the U2 show(s) that you go to how about buying 'The Big Issue' from any of the homeless sellers outside the venue instead of walking past them to buy U2 merchandise or that much needed hotdog. How hypocritical some fans can be, as I witnessed outside the Manchester Arena during the Elevation tour, at how one such seller was treated.

For people who have seen other posts by me on this subject in other threads...

I am not unemployed, nor have that bad of a job, but I had an illness in my family this spring and the parents needed my help out with the situation. They were hit hard financially, and asked for my help.

Terrible timing. So I had to deplete my concert fund--that I had spent all year slowly building up-- by something like 75% from May until Sept. It was your family; you had no choice. What could I do? I have now gotten some of it back but as a result I can't afford to buy any more than 2 or 3 tickets, depending on the ticket price. I have a feeling that the bastards at Clear Channel will want to make up for their losses in the concert biz this summer by hiking the price up for the newly "hotter" U2 WAY up. I have a feeling the prices could hit $200 counting fees this time around, for the prime "first tier" seats. And I'll have to go alone.

I am still waiting for a Prop letter. I haven't been home yet so I haven't seen my mail today. I called the FanFire number and they promised they'd have an answer for me on my membership status by Wed.

I just wanted people who have read a couple of my more panicked posts to know this. I want them to know I don't have a lot of money to throw around on brokers, scalpers, etc and I don't know anybody in any of the cities I want tix to. I have one guy who has prmoised to try to get NYC tix for me but he doesn't have any great connections. Come ticket day he'll be trying like me. He says he has a great track record getting tix but that is what I said about Springsteen until 2002!

I live in ALbany, NY and the band usually comes there. I am not that worried about getting Albany tix. I will wait in line. I can't count on it of course though. But it is Boston and NYC I want to go to, some of the most sought after tix on every U2 tour----after almost 20 yrs of fandom I FINALLY realized a lifelong dream of seeing U2 in Boston last time around. It was worth all the struggle. It was everything people over the yrs had said. U2 in Boston is a truly transcendent experience and it IS worth begging, borrowing, and if stealing were legal, it would be worth stealing to go to too.

So without Prop, my options are extremely limited. I tried and tried to renew last yr, emailed the site over and over, just to prevent something like this from happening. Never got a reply. So now I have to find out. It had been so long since I'd gotten an issue, and the issues I had were buried under a mountain of stuff in the closet.

So this is just a note to allwho read that post or two. I hope you can appreciate my situation and why I panicked at every little conflicting report. At least I have a couple more weeks now to work up a plan..IF I can..I thought the Prop ticket sake was going to happen around Dec 10, when the NYC show was going to be shown on MTV. Made sense huh? The Jan date--with the Prop sale only a week before the public sale--was a pleasant surprise.

Teta040 said:
I joined in 199O and my membership # was 13,000 and something.) Thus, they were able to keep the rate of membership subscribers at a slow but steady annual rate of climbing.

Now, think about it. Imagine the number of hits U2.com is going to get once word of this gets around. Not only is the ticket service being run through the band's official website, which everybody knows about, but it is being opened to non- Prop. members as well.

I joined Prop quite early on...1987 to be axact. My membership number was in the 6 thousands.

I will never receive a letter from U2.com giving me the option to join for $20, I'm no longer considered a past subscriber to Prop. Reason why? My subscription ran out at issue #33...the very last issue. So I'm considered a "non-prop" member.
I'm happy to pay the full $40 to join...and I'm happy that U2.com aren't just opeing this fan club online for people who were STILL subscribed at the last issue. It's only fair that people like myself can join and anyone else who wants to. Yes people who were still subscribed were owed something from Prop...financially. But nothing more. There were fans who subscribed for the last couple of issues...whereas people like myself subscibed for over 15 years who's subscription ran out. I'm owed nothing financially, but I do feel I'm owed the option to join the new club like everyone else. So I'm glad it's open for everyone to join.

I never once used the ticket pre-sale offer from Prop. I always got my tickets elsewhere in the past. Mainly because the ticket choice was usually for somewhere too far away or even in somewhere like France! (and I'm in UK)
So I think that for people to join U2.com membership just for the ticket pre-sales...you're being a bit naive. You could end up being very disapointed.
Join for the right reasons. Join because you want the other benefits of the fan club. Then if you do get ticket pre-sales and you are lucky enough that the venue will be on your doorstep...then that will be a big bonus.

I personally want to join because I like the up to date info on the band.....possible rarities which may be available....downloads which I'm sure will be available. All the kind of stuff you wouldn't get if you didn't join the club. If I get tickets through the club, then that's great, but it's not my reason for joining.

Propaganda mag, in my opinion was good. Slow, but good. I liked to have something to read about u2 which I could keep and build up a collection. Also, you got a couple of freebies along the way in the form of CD's. I've been lucky enough to see U2 at least once on the past 4 tours. Younger people who have never been part of Prop and have maybe never seen U2 live...I hope you get your dream of seeing U2 live. But keep your options open regarding getting tickets!!

What about the relaunch of the U2 website? In my opinion a week is 7 days, and normally ends on Sunday (that's why it's called weekend!). So if U2.com tells us the new site will relaunch 'this week' it should have happened two days ago.

Maybe their week is different, which means the new site should be live today (as their news item is dated Nov.23rd) !

mstephan said:
What about the relaunch of the U2 website? In my opinion a week is 7 days, and normally ends on Sunday (that's why it's called weekend!). So if U2.com tells us the new site will relaunch 'this week' it should have happened two days ago.

Maybe their week is different, which means the new site should be live today (as their news item is dated Nov.23rd) !

You can never expect anything on time that has anything to do with U2's fan club!!!

With Propaganda, you were lucky to get 1 issue a year!!

ewen said:
for those with greed on their mind, ponder this:

i'm truly fortunate, or have been (don't want to make presumtions about the future), to receive free tickets for U2 shows from Principle Management - don't ask how or why!

Anyhow, I GAVE AWAY my spare tickets to unemployed U2 fans instead of making a fortune.

So, I really hope those who plan to make $$$ on these tickets consider how many harcore U2 fans out there can't actually afford to go to see them at one show never mind following them from one country to the next.

Also, after the U2 show(s) that you go to how about buying 'The Big Issue' from any of the homeless sellers outside the venue instead of walking past them to buy U2 merchandise or that much needed hotdog. How hypocritical some fans can be, as I witnessed outside the Manchester Arena during the Elevation tour, at how one such seller was treated.

What happened Ewen? I totally agree with ya. Imagine how happy 100 U2 fans would make a homeless person by buying a copy of The Big Issue that nite of a show. A pound or a dollar can go a long way when given by many individually. Shame on those that gave the rest of a bad name. Unreal.

My propaganda letter arrived this morning! It has two mail stamps on it, first it was sent by Royal Mail, but over that is a Stamp of Swiss Mail.
Problem was that Propaganda 'forgot' to print the postal code with my address. I'm lucky that it arrived after all!

I think a lot of Dutch will have the same problem, if U2 forgot to print their postal code (zip code) too.

Now bring on the new site!

Well, my feelings are since I have been a Propaganda member since the late 80s (and still paid up) and I still havent received my letter yet, Maybe just maybe they are trying to sort that mess out first before relaunching the site.
I really dont even care if I had to pay 40.00, but the fact that if you were lucky enough to have the letter delivered to you means you get to join the club and have priority tickets over people who were unfortunate enough to not get it delivered......Not cool. So maybe they are looking into that issue first before launching. If not, then it will probably be a free for all since people who got the letter needed to be signed up by today.

Well..
what can I say but...
WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

I got the letter yesterday. I'm on the moon, as I never expected to get one.

Those letters and numbers on back of the little gray card have acquired a "Da Vinci Code"-like signifigance and holiness for me, right about now:)

have priority tickets over people who were unfortunate enough to not get it delivered......Not cool.

I had the same feeling that you have right now, but I'm sure you'll get the letter! By the way, all the ones who got the letter now, we can't subscribe as the new U2 site still isn't re-launched!

Keep the faith!

I heard something about another new Zootopia...A free one aside from the boards you have to pay for to use.
anyone know the link or details?

Back
Top Bottom