(11-21-2004) An Atomic Saturday Night - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
An Atomic Saturday Night

U2 made an explosive stateside return last night with a wonderful three-song performance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live." The band played the ubiquitous new single "Vertigo," the touching ballad "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," and a tour-de-force performance of "I Will Follow" that found Bono once again coming out into the audience pit to greet the crowd with The Edge and Adam Clayton right behind him.

During "Follow," Bono did some fancy camera work, and appeared to give an unsuspecting female audience member a lap dance. Towards the end of the song, Bono joined the cast of "SNL" on their platform to the side of the stage where he embraced an ecstatic Amy Poehler; cast members Maya Rudolph and Rachel Dratch could be seen joyfully crying in the background.

A fourth song, "All Because of You," was cut off at the end of the show at its traditional 1:00am closing time. The night's guest host was Luke Wilson.

To join other Interference members in discussing the "SNL" performance, visit: http://forum.interference.com/t103541.html

Last edited:
AWESOME, simply put AWESOME!!!!
SYCMIOYO has been my fav from the start and it just crawled into my top 10 without a doubt.
Bono is the ultimate fan pleaser and our band is the GREATEST Rock and Roll Band of ALL time!!

Can you hear me when I SIIIIINNNNNGGGG??!!!
I always have~

SYCMIOYO was beautiful, absolutely beautiful...there's a lot of soul in that song. It's the first song of the new album, besides Vertigo, that I have heard, and my excitement level for the album has now quadrupled.

hello there everyone, i have to say that it was amazing to see U2 play live again. Especially the new songs, when bono sang " STYCMIOYO, I was suprised to be so moved. I will be 37 soon and i felt like I was 17 all over again. I could feel the pain come through him and how emotional it was for him to sing it. Vertigo had so much power and intensity. They are larger than life and i am looking forward so much for the tours to hit here in Los Angeles during spring time. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hi!

The band stayed after the network cut away and sang three songs including another performance of Vertigo. It was an awesome night in studio 8H!

Murph' - St. Louis

A great performance by U2. I loved when they whipped out "I Will Follow" and Bono did his thing where he hogs the camera. Too bad SNL isn't entirely a musical, but of course that's coming from someone who doesn't tune in every week.

It was just as amazing as when they did SNL in December of 2000. Bono was breathtaking on the second song. I was shocked they closed out the show. It is really rare for a musical artist on SNL to do three songs. Then after they did I Will Follow, Bono is like, "One More" and they end the show. I could just hear the collective groan from around the country.:happy: :dance:

:larry: :adam: :bono: :edge: :bow:

A simply awesome performance by U2 - :bow:

It had all the composites of what a U2 performance memorable - great songs flawlessly delivered by the Edge, Adam and Larry and heartfeltly sung by Bono.

And, of course, the lunge (on Bono's part literally) in the audience was classic! :yes:

U2 CAN BE PROUD OF THEMSELVES FOR GIVING SUCH A MASTERFUL PERFORMANCE last night!

You guys still "got it" .

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :hug: :love:

Best a band has ever sounded on SNL. By a lot...
Bono's yelling of "Live...Live...Live" at the intro had to be aimed at Ashley Simpson. Loved it. I simply can't believe how good I Will Follow come across...granted they've been practicing that song for 24 years!
Bravo!:)

I turned SNL off after the 2nd song cos bands NEVER play more than 2 songs. Then I flip it back right at the end. Didn't even know it was I Will Follow(that's how late I flipped back.) So pissed that I missed it. SNL is dreadful these days.

My only complaint is that Larry is always stuck when Bono, Edge and Adam are running around mobile.

It was cool to see how genuinely excited Amy Poehler was at her Bono moment.

Yeah, I thought it was kewl to see Amy Poehler in her Bono moment. The performance was great. I dont know about Vertigo though... it seems a tad forced...but heck that still ranks pretty darn high for SNL performaces. SYCMIOYO - breathtaking, I had a knot in my stomach the whole time listening to that song.

Back
Top Bottom