(11-19-2004) U2's 'Bomb' lacks firepower - Jam!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2's 'Bomb' lacks firepower

By DARRYL STERDAN
Winnipeg Sun

There are, it seems, two kinds of U2 fans.

On the one hand, there are those who prefer the band's earthy, earnest emotional arena-rock. On the other hand, there are those who favour their esoteric, ethereal experiments. Which is to say: No matter what kind of an album Bono and co. make, somebody always seems to end up bummed.

To their credit, though, U2 are good enough to give each side a decade to call their own. The rockers got to lay claim to the '80s, when Bono lit The Unfogettable Fire and waved the white flag for Sunday Bloody Sunday.

The avant guardians had their way for the '90s, when the boys played dressup and went from iconic to ironic with Achtung Baby and Pop. With the coming of 2000, the tide expectedly returned to the heartfelt simplicity and no-frills rock of All That You Can't Leave Behind.

And if you think U2 are going to leave all that behind one album later, you haven't been paying attention.

If their last album was the sound of a band rediscovering their roots and reconnecting with their past, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, their 11th studio release, is the sound of a band hitting their stride and heading into their comfort zone.

For the 11 songs on this 39-minute disc, the band stuck to the game plan that worked so well four years ago: Never mind all the bells and whistles; just crank it up, belt out the chorus and get on with it. The Edge's chiming arpeggios and scritchy licks; the rhythm section's solidly unfussy grooves; Bono's soaring vocals and philosophical odes to love and hope and birth and death and war and peace -- it's all straight out of the U2 101 textbook. Just dust off the white flag, assemble the heart-shaped stage and Bono's ready for the stadium tour.

But of course, that's also the biggest problem with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. It's U2 by the numbers -- safe, familiar, predictable and, ultimately, somewhat uninspired and uninspiring. Naturally, there are standout tracks -- the clanging opening rocker Vertigo, the murky neo-blues of Love and Peace or Else, the fuzzy blast of All Because of You, the midtempo swirl of Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own (which Bono sang at his father's funeral) and the low-wattage One Step Closer (also inspired by his dad's death).

But even these cuts don't have quite the same spark, the same punch, the same sense of wide-eyed exhilaration and rejuvenation as, say, Elevation, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Beautiful Day and Walk On. The fact that a few of the titles are so similar-sounding doesn't help dispel that feeling of musical deja vu.

Don't misunderstand. It's not that How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb isn't a good album. It is. At times, it's very good. But it's simply not a great U2 album. No matter what kind of a fan you are.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamAlbumsU/u2_atomicbomb-sun.html

This guy is clearly on crack if he doesn't consider this a GREAT album...Vertigo is a standout moment?? Um. No. Great song, but there are...oh...8 or so better tunes on the record :yes:

Maybe Winnipeg has something in the water..

:lol:

gabrielvox said:
This guy is clearly on crack if he doesn't consider this a GREAT album...Vertigo is a standout moment?? Um. No. Great song, but there are...oh...8 or so better tunes on the record :yes:

Maybe Winnipeg has something in the water..

:lol:

he's one of the better critics in the country.

this review is pretty good, with the exception of his comments directed towards atyclb. these songs pretty much kick those older ones in the ass, in my opinion.

and ultimately, that's what it's all about. opinions.

I have always believed that the only "critic" that really matters is yourself. :yes:

What qualifies someone else to tell you what to like - what is better than something else?

I have followed U2 for over 23 years - watched them go through every phase in their musical and personal lives and I will tell you that few albums of theirs have already touched as deeply as HTDAAB. :angel:

And I'm the only critic that matters to me.

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :hug:

gabrielvox said:

Um...excuse me? Not in my part of town. He's nobody in Toronto, and we're the only place that matters...

J/K btw...about Toronto..lol..

we're well aware of how toronto feels about the rest of canada. :wink:

Zoomerang96 said:

he's one of the better critics in the country.

this review is pretty good, with the exception of his comments directed towards atyclb. these songs pretty much kick those older ones in the ass, in my opinion.

and ultimately, that's what it's all about. opinions.

Music is far too subjective for any critic to be "good", IMO. Movies, which are also subjective, are more reviewable. There's good acting, or bad. There's a good plot, or bad. Music, however, often transports a person. We associate music with events in our life. As such, saying something is "good" is nearly impossible to do. All we can say is that it is good (or bad) for our personal tastes.

With this in mind, I have to disagree with this review. I really enjoy ATYCLB. But it seems that HTDAAB is a souped up ATYCLB. If there is a weakness on HTDAAB, it's that it's U2 basically polished the sound of ATYCLB. But is this a bad thing? IMO, JT is nothing more than a polished UF - yet most fans practically worship JT.

Furthermore, I find the lyrics, vocals and guitar work far, FAR stronger on HTDAAB. To me, this is a brilliant album that helps one realize the weaknesses in ATYCLB. And given the praises U2 reaped from ATYCLB, I think that's saying a lot about HTDAAB.

HelloAngel said:

But of course, that's also the biggest problem with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. It's U2 by the numbers -- safe, familiar, predictable and, ultimately, somewhat uninspired and uninspiring. Naturally, there are standout tracks -- the clanging opening rocker Vertigo, the murky neo-blues of Love and Peace or Else, the fuzzy blast of All Because of You, the midtempo swirl of Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own (which Bono sang at his father's funeral) and the low-wattage One Step Closer (also inspired by his dad's death).

But even these cuts don't have quite the same spark, the same punch, the same sense of wide-eyed exhilaration and rejuvenation as, say, Elevation, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Beautiful Day and Walk On. The fact that a few of the titles are so similar-sounding doesn't help dispel that feeling of musical deja vu.

Um...what the hell? Is this guy out of his mind? I love Elevation but Vertigo beats it by a mile, and Sometimes completely owns SIAM and Walk On... and he didn't even mention OOTS or MD...similar sounding? Crumbs has the same progression as Walk On during the chorus but that's about it. Sure there are elements of other U2 songs in the HTDAAB tracks, but you could effectively say that for any U2 album.

I dunno why people are saying HTDAAB is uninspired... I have never heard a more simply joyous album in my life. Which is kind of interesting because there's a lot of heartache on this album, brought on by Bob's death... but hope prevails. Oh wait, my bad, hope is one of those U2-by-numbers ideas...they should instead whine about everything ever and go emo. Yeah, that'd be great. :rolleyes:

What's so bad about U2 being U2? Really...I'd say the A-Bomb is much more ambitious than ATYCLB, which is an album I absolutely adore.

HelloAngel said:
U2's 'Bomb' lacks firepower

For the 11 songs on this 39-minute disc...

It's U2 by the numbers -- safe, familiar, predictable and, ultimately, somewhat uninspired and uninspiring...

But even these cuts don't have quite the same spark, the same punch, the same sense of wide-eyed exhilaration and rejuvenation as, say, Elevation, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Beautiful Day and Walk On...

http://www.canoe.ca/JamAlbumsU/u2_atomicbomb-sun.html

I hope people who are interested in purchasing HTDAAB don't go by this review alone :rolleyes:

Last edited:
agree with Jamelia. I've been a fan for 22 years and just when I thought I owned U2's best album along comes HTDAAB. Maybe far too early for me to make such a statement but I've never in those 22 years had an album on such heavy rotation nor have I ever liked every song on one. The album is truly amazing. I've been a fan for so long but I don't think a U2 song has ever made me cry before....up until hearing "Sometimes You Can't..." but that may be down to the fact that I had, what sounds like, a similar relationship with my own father before his passing as Bono did.

That critic needs to clean the wax out of his ears. For me ATYCLB was one of U2's weakest albums and it's HTDAAB that deserves the Grammys.

After hearing the whole album I now think that Vertigo is the weakest song on it - even though I love it.

Last edited:
It's just wonderful I don't need anyone's opinion to form one of my own.. Some of the best music and movies I've seen were run down by the critics. They don't matter, to me, but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it matters to record sales.
But it shouldn't be the deciding factor when one makes a purchase.:wink:

The more I read this review, the more I agree. The album is good, but not great. :|

Mac Phisto said:
Wait...this guy is from WINNIPEG. I wouldn't lose sleep over this one.

and you're from new york, does that make your opinions worth anymore than ours?!

I will prouldy claim that the opinions of Augusta and Rockingham counties in Virginia, acually DO, in fact, mean less than anyone else in regards to music. So while I don't agree with this guy in many ways, I won't say his opinion means less than people aroudn here. In fact, it means a lot more. :wink:

If Mr. Sherdan expects people to at least respect his reviews, a good starting point would be to a LEAST get the running time of the album correct. It's 47 minutes plus buddy!! NOT 39

yeah, that part is indeed a bit embarassing. i don't know how he got that wrong...how many albums are as short as says this one is anyway??

Back
Top Bottom