(11-18-2004) Bono an Icon -- Sky News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono an Icon

John Lennon is the greatest rock and roll icon of all time, according to music fans. The former Beatle beat Elvis Presley and David Bowie to top the list of 100 best music icons voted for by readers of Q magazine.In a special tribute, widow Yoko Ono said Lennon - who was assassinated in 1980 - was a "driven man".

She said: "He changed people's awareness in an incredible way.

"He was not afraid to tell the truth and give us a clearer picture of what was really going on."

She added: "Indeed, it is not an exaggeration to say that there was a world before John and the world after."

Here is the top 20:

1. John Lennon
2. Elvis Presley
3. David Bowie
4. Keith Richards
5. Kurt Cobain
6. Madonna
7. Bono
8. Bob Marley
9. Joe Strummer
10. Bob Dylan
11. Morrissey
12. Paul McCartney
13. Johnny Cash
14. Liam Gallagher
15. Eminem
16. Freddie Mercury
17. Mick Jagger
18. Robbie Williams
19. Jimi Hendrix
20. 2Pac

-- Sky News

ElectricalVoice said:
I can understand Lennon, Elvis and almost Bowie before Bono - maybe Dylan should be replaced by Bowie. But Cobain, Richards and Madonne before Bono is just stupid.

I can agree with you on some of those but Madonna over Bono works for me. She is one of the most important female music artists of the past 50 years. The true crime is that she is the only female in the top 20.

I also think it's a shame there's only one female in the Top 20, but I can think of a ton of a women in popular music more deserving than Madonna. What about Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, Tina Turner, Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde?

I would definitely agree with Tina Turner being up in the top twenty. Cobain and Richards? I'm fine with Madonna being ahead of Bono although I rather it the other way around. And this was a poll about the greatest rock and roll icons of all time, so does having pop icons like Madonna in this list make sense? What they should have called it was the greatest popular music icon or something. Anyway, here is what I think should be the top ten using only the artists that were on their top ten list and not my favourite top ten list.

1) Elvis Presley (the king of icons without a doubt)
2) John Lennon
3) Madonna (to be biased I'd prefer Bono here)
4) Bono (simply the best)
5) Bob Marley
6) David Bowie
7) Bob Dylan
8) Kurt Cobain (p.o.)
9) Keith Richards (???)
10) Joe Strummer

dsmith2904 said:

I can agree with you on some of those but Madonna over Bono works for me. She is one of the most important female music artists of the past 50 years. The true crime is that she is the only female in the top 20.

I understand what you mean, but I don't agree - not Madonna. Someone mentioned Turner, Franklin and Joplin. Hell - even Dolly Parton ...! Madonna is an icon, yes, but it boils down to what people thinks - not what kind of impact they had or have on music in general.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with Richards being ahead of Bono? He is one of the true iconic giants of rock'n'roll. The real crime is seeing FatDancer Williams on the list...people consider him a "rock icon"???

Actually, no real complaints - though if we're going to include Kurt Cobain we probably should include Jim Morrison too... And I'm not sure I would have put David Bowie before Bono... and I might have moved Jimi Hendrix a bit up the list... But other than that, I guess it's fine. Nice to see Freddie Mercury up there. :up: He's one of MY personal favorites.

And yeah, I'll add my support for Keith Richards. :D

bono_man2002 - you may have something there. :lol:

I agree with U2Soar's list with Bob Marley, Joe Strummer and David Bowie coming in 4th, 5th and 6th.

Bono deserves to be in the top five.

ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Okay. hold up just a second here. That there 2Pac at #20 wouldn't be of the Shakur ilk... would it? Cause I'm about to throw up if that's the case.

And yeah, what is the deal with Curt Cobain? I'll never comprehend that.

And how does Keith get up there before Mick?

And... and... and... and... that list is just silly.

Call me crazy, but shouldn't Joni Mitchell be on there? Anyway...

Bono's shades said:
I also think it's a shame there's only one female in the Top 20, but I can think of a ton of a women in popular music more deserving than Madonna. What about Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, Tina Turner, Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde?

agree! joan baez too!

1. Elvis
2. Lennon
3. Dylan
4. Bob Marley
5. Bono
6. Richards/Mick (inseparable)
7. Tina Turner
8. Hendrix
9. Madonna
10. Chrissie Hynde
11. Page/Plant
12. Elvis C.
13. Patti Smith
14. Lou Reed
15. Bowie (only those in their early teens in '79 think otherwise...)
:wink:

Hmm not too bad. Freddy mercury maybe should have got a higher place in it, he put his all into every performance. Id take out Keith and kurt (who like mr. JFK wouldnt have been half as important if hadnt been assassinated) and put mr.freddy in there, moving bono up to 6th respectably. Im quite surprised Bono is were he is! I mean he's the marmite of the music industry.. well at least were i live!

Renrut said:
1. Elvis
2. Lennon
3. Dylan
4. Bob Marley
5. Bono
6. Richards/Mick (inseparable)
7. Tina Turner
8. Hendrix
9. Madonna
10. Chrissie Hynde
11. Page/Plant
12. Elvis C.
13. Patti Smith
14. Lou Reed
15. Bowie (only those in their early teens in '79 think otherwise...)
:wink:

:hmm:... might replace Elvis C with Freddie Mercury...

I did enjoy how you refer to Keith by his last name and Mick by his first. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom