(11-16-2004) Exclusive: No 'Fast Cars' for North America -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Exclusive: No "Fast Cars" for North America

Despite reports to the contrary, Interference.com has heard from sources with Universal Canada that "Fast Cars" will not be appearing on any versions of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" in North America. A source with an HMV store in Canada told Interference.com that their location will be stocking limited amounts of import versions of the CD so fans can have a chance to purchase "Fast Cars."

Shitty, at least we'll have a chance to buy it at hmv though....maybe!

ugh...hmv is so much more expensive that the other cd places in canada too, anyone know how much the import would be in canadian?

No DVD then!

I guess we have to make a choice:

If we want an import of the cd that has the fast cars song, then it cannot be the limited/collectors editions with the dvds as DVDs have region coding that are different in the world and won't work elsewehere.

On HMV.ca though, an image of the limited box set shows the benefits of that box set and it is written 12 songs!

Who's right?

Hmm...I wonder if "Fast Cars" will be available through iTunes...by itself, or as part of that "Complete U2" thingy...

Then again, I'm curious to see just how "complete" that set winds up being...

I'm just really confused now. Amazon.com has the cover pic which says there are 12 songs included...
:confused:

*but the track listing only has 11songs... double :confused:

Last edited:
I think I would of been more upset if this meant "Mercy" and not "Fast Cars." I'll end up purchasing an import regular cd and the domestic collector's box. Who knows, I am still on the fence about an ipod. I want to see what the tracks are on the digital box set before making the leap to the digital download age.

Last edited:
:| this is a really dumb idea. i understand why they do it but adding extra tracks for the rest of the world is getting outdated with all the file swapping on the internet. kind of defeats the purpose.

Wait, I'm confused...Fast Cars isn't going to be in the boxset? That's kinda retarded. I coulda sworn Amazon.com had Fast Cars listed as a bonus track on the collector's edition special deluxe boxset thing...

Whatever, if I can't buy the song I'll download it. I'm not gonna pay for an import CD just to get one bloody song.

TowerRecords.com has both the American and the Import Collectors sets for sale. The American lists 11 tracks, and the Import lists 12 tracks. If that clears anything up...

bort269 said:
I'll wait and see...

it's all rumors until we can see it in the store anyways!

And we have a winner:

Originally posted by bonosleftone
A lot of stores are getting their shipments of new stuff in today for Tuesday release and luckily my friend broke the rules and hooked it up. Still had to pay for it but I got it!

The North American Box Set DOES have Fast Cars.

GLAD I PRE-ORDERED THAT ONE!!!!!!!!!

bort269 said:

And we have a winner:

The North American Box Set DOES have Fast Cars.

GLAD I PRE-ORDERED THAT ONE!!!!!!!!!

So let me get clarification... this box set you say that has Fast Cars... is this the Collectors Edition with the cd, dvd, and book?

i pre-ordered this one too :)

thanks!

Roland of Gilead said:
I think I would of been more upset if this meant "Mercy" and not "Fast Cars." I'll end up purchasing an import regular cd and the domestic collector's box. Who knows, I am still on the fence about an ipod. I want to see what the tracks are on the digital box set before making the leap to the digital download age.

I've gave my soul to the digital d/l age today. :crack:

I'm excited though.

jesseu2 said:

So let me get clarification... this box set you say that has Fast Cars... is this the Collectors Edition with the cd, dvd, and book?

Same question I wanted to ask. There are two kinds of Limited Edition on Amazon. I think the one with the book is sold out.

I was lucky enough to get my copy of the "Collectors Edition" yesturday, you will be happy to know that "Fast Cars" IS included!

I just checked Amazon.com and Towerrecords.com. Amazon sells all three versions of Atomic Bomb (CD only; CD + DVD; Collector's Edition), and none of them are listed as having Fast Cars. [Edit: it appears as though they have sold out of the Collector's Edition.] The only domestic (i.e., US) version Towerrecords.com sells is the CD-only version, which only has 11 songs. Every other version they sell is an import, all of which, of course, have Fast Cars. So, it looks like North Americans are out of luck for getting that song. If Fast Cars is a bonus in the box set, I would like to know why Amazon doesn't know that.

As for iTunes, they might include Fast Cars as a bonus on the album, but you will probably have to buy the entire album (I don't mean the complete box) in order to get it. They did the same thing on the new Duran Duran album; you could buy the normal album tracks individually, but in order to get the Japan-only bonus track, you had to purchase the entire album for download.

I think this is a stupid move, frankly. In the age of rampant Internet piracy, where labels and artists are doing anything they can to get people to actually pay for the music they listen to, it doesn't make sense to me that U2 would actually withhold a song people are be willing to pay a reasnable price for, and by reasonable, I do not mean paying an import price for one song. By doing so, the band, and/or Interscope, are practically egging people on to go download it off of Kazaa or some other p2p network. Ass-backwards thinking, if you ask me.

Last edited:
UJASON2 said:
I was lucky enough to get my copy of the "Collectors Edition" yesturday, you will be happy to know that "Fast Cars" IS included!

Is yours the one sold in the US, or is it an import?

heinz said:
Will the box sets or collectors editions be sold on tuesday in stores like circuit city?

That's hard to say. Your best bet is to call them in advance and ask. If the collector's edition is as rare as some people have indicated, the larger commercial sellers like Circuit City might not. But you won't know until you call. I just called the "specialty" record store in my area and asked them if they intend to carry it. They do, and they always sell new releases Monday night at midnight, so I'll be there to get the Collector's Edition before it sells out.

Best Buys's advertisement in the paper includes all three release of the new album, cd, cd+dvd, cd+dvd+book, which will be sold for $9.99, $16.99, and $24.99 respectively.

Won't know if Fast Cars is on the collector's edition until I get there Tuesday! :drool:

I bought the cd this morning and I have no guilt for downloading fast cars last week.

Back
Top Bottom