(11-16-2004) Bono on Band Aid 20 - NME*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
THANK GOD IT'S BONO

BONO has revealed why he was persuaded to re-sing his famous line for BAND AID’s ’DO THEY KNOW IT’S CHRISTMAS?’, despite initially refusing.

The U2 frontman – who sang "Well tonight thank God it’s them instead of you" in the original 1984 hit – thought the line was too poignant for him to repeat in the new version, which was recorded on Sunday (November 14).

The star flew into London’s Air Studios from Dublin at the weekend to re-record his vocals but had already given permission to The Darkness’ Justin Hawkins to take the line.

Bono explained: "I sang the whole song just to remind myself why we were all there. But they were after one line. And it’s a line I really, really wasn’t comfortable with."

According to The Sun newspaper, the singer eventually agreed after persuasion from Travis’ frontman Fran Healy and producer Nigel Godrich.

Bono revealed that he has always felt guilty about singing the words, saying: "It’s a crushing line. I didn’t want to sing it and I didn’t think I had the voice for it. So I did an impersonation of Bruce Springsteen. But it sounds like Bruce Springsteen sitting on the toilet."

For the Band Aid 20 single, due out on November 29, the star has changed his delivery of the line.

"Rather than that roar, I just tried it more like a whisper. Twenty years later I feel a lot calmer. This is no time for hysteria. We know what the problems are and we know how to fix them," he said.

Band Aid 20’s ’Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ also sees performances from Paul McCartney, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Robbie Williams , Keane and Snow Patrol.

For a behind the scenes report on the day, as well as a world exclusive interview with Paul McCartney, see this week’s issue of NME, which is out now in London and nationwide tomorrow (November 17).

http://nme.com/news/110552.htm

Now *this* sounds more like the response I was expecting from Bono! :yes: Not that bickering nonsense that this Justin guy was stating! :no:

While I've always loved Bono's roar on the song (and based on what I'm hearing on HTDAAB, I think Bono can still do the roar, so I disagree with him about this lack of vocal ability there), I do agree with the concept of a "whisper". That is a very powerful line and perhaps it's best not to hear it screaming any more.

mms://streaming.reeltime.no/uni_ms/Band_Aid_20_-_Do_They_Know_Its_Christmas.wma

Here´s an official stream from Universalmusic.no

Although I have mixed opinions on this new version, I will simply say

Thank God tonight we have Bono and Bob Geldof in our world! :angel:

Our world is a better place because of them....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I knew he was going to change it for the exact opposite way he sang in the first time. Now everybody is going to call him a pussy, not that we fucking care! :wink: By the way he did sound a bit like Bruce in the first time but me thinks he kicked major ass! :yes: :up:

Back
Top Bottom