(11-15-2006) Hold the U4ria — Bono keeps them guessing - The Age*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hold the U4ria — Bono keeps them guessing

Patrick Donovan

WILL he or won't he? That is the question for organisers of the sold-out Make Poverty History concert at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl tomorrow night. And it's Bono they are talking about.

The official word is that the U2 singer has not yet decided if he will turn up.

"We have been in discussions with Bono and the like, and if he turned up, that would be great, but Bono is a rock star and rock stars don't commit to anything," co-organiser Hugh Evans said.

But The Age believes that not only Bono but fellow protest singer Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam — both in Melbourne on tour with their bands — will participate in some form.

The show will kick off at 6pm with an indigenous welcome and will conclude with local rockers Jet about 11pm. In between, acts including the John Butler Trio, Paul Kelly, Evermore, Eskimo Joe, Sarah Blasko and Hilltop Hoods will perform. Comedian Dave Hughes will act as MC.

Even though some of the bands have never written a political song in their careers, it seems that the occasion is already rubbing off on them.

Some have signed a joint statement addressing the members of the G20 forum meeting in Melbourne at the weekend.

"This weekend's G20 meeting is a great opportunity to make the world economy fairer and more sustainable," it reads. "The G20, representing 85 per cent of the world economy, with both developed and developing countries, has enormous potential to help Make Poverty History."

About 14,000 people are expected to attend the free concert, while thousands will watch it live on screens at Waterfront City and in regional centres.

It will be broadcast live on Nova, regional radio and MySpace, and will be televised the next day on Channel 10.

"More than 120,00 people sent us SMS's and expressed interest in coming to the show," Mr Evans said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/enter...s-them-guessing/2006/11/15/1163266640183.html

HelloAngel said:
"We have been in discussions with Bono and the like, and if he turned up, that would be great, but Bono is a rock star and rock stars don't commit to anything," co-organiser Hugh Evans said.

I'm assuming he

A) Isn't actually aware of Bono's charity work
B) Doesn't want him to come

:wink:

hcbiggs2002 said:
So where exactly is this concert being held, i.e. which country and town etc. coz I've never heard of the "Sidney Myer Music Bowl"?!? :scratch:

The Concert is being held in Melbourne, Australia. The Sidney Myer Music Bowl is an outdoor performance venue in the lawns of Kings Domain, and Sidney Myer was the founder of the Myer deparment stores across Australia.

Hopefully Bono will show up :wink:

Re: Re: (11-15-2006) Hold the U4ria — Bono keeps them guessing - The Age*

gareth brown said:

I'm assuming he

A) Isn't actually aware of Bono's charity work
B) Doesn't want him to come

:wink:

or C) is aware that Bono's presence would probably overshadow what the concert is aiming to achieve.

I have a strong feeling that he will be there. I think it would be great for the event if he turned up. I mean he's in town anyway and I am sure he supports the event very much. He hasn't met with any Australian politicians yet, has he?

Back
Top Bottom