(11-14-2004) Fame Academy, UK TV, Sunday -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com//news/images/bonomhf.jpg[/SIMG]
Fame Academy, UK TV, SUnday

U2, Elvis, The Beatles, Bob Marley and Madonna were inducted as Founder Members into the UK Music Hall of Fame on Thursday.

Bono flew into London to receive the award on behalf of U2, although he expressed a little reluctance at the nature of the award!

'Inducted!' he exclaimed to London radio station Xfm. 'It sounds like a very painful operation. Like there was suction, something to pull us out of the womb of the British music business!

'I don't really want to be inducted into the UK Hall Of Fame, I don't want to be in any Hall of Fame, until we're retired or dead. We - U2 - are a cutting edge, contemporary, more-relevant-now-than-we've-ever-been, kind of a band.

But I'm here because the people who run it I respect and care for, and its good to be alongside Elvis and Bob Marley, there's a lot of cool people out there. It's a really great night.'

The ceremony, which took place at the Hackney Empire in London, marked the opening of the UK Hall of Fame which was set up to recognise legendary artists from popular music history. Alongside the five founding members the TV station Channel 4 has hosted a weekly poll to determine which five other acts - one each from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s - should be entered. The new inductees were: Cliff Richard; The Rolling Stones; Queen ; Michael Jackson and Robbie Williams.

Madonna and Bono were 'inducted' in person, while Priscilla Presley and Rita Marley accepted the honours on behalf of their respective late husbands. Sir George Martin accepted the award of behalf of The Beatles while 'honorary membership' was granted to Island Records founder Chris Blackwell in recognition of his contribution to British music.

If you are in the UK you can watch the entire ceremony on Channel 4 this Sunday at 9.00pm.

--U2.com

Back
Top Bottom