(11-12-2004) ‘Rock’s Only Remaining Superpower’ - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
‘Rock’s Only Remaining Superpower’

The album reviews are coming in thick and fast and, guess what, MOJO love the new record!

‘In defiance of the burdensome weight of their own history and the lifespan of the average rock band, U2 in 2004 are rock’s only remaining superpower.’ writes Stephen Collins in the December edition of the UK’s MOJO magazine. ‘Other long-lived bands continue to impress, but none come even close to matching U2’s astonishing global commercial dominance in the rock field.’

Here are some choice extracts:

‘Of the 12 tracks here (the UK and Japanese releases have an additional track, Fast Cars) over half are instant U2 classics and the remainder are never less than very good. ‘...Atomic Bomb’ is almost certain to go down as a landmark rock record for the noughties.’

‘’Miracle Drug’ will go down as another U2 classic: obliquely referencing what is known as the ‘Lazarus effect’ when apparently dying HIV-positive people are rescued with the use of new medication, the beautiful melody soars heavenwards without ever sounding trite.’

‘When the music turns rather more personal, the rawness of Bono’s recent bereavment on the epic ‘Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own’ makes for a genuine Kleenex moment.’

‘The lifeblood of ‘...Atomic Bomb’ is Bono’s unstinting belief that pop stars can make a difference and that they should use their power for something above and beyond mere personal reward.’

‘From now on it’s hard to see what’s left for U2 other than to continue trying to compete with themselves in a rock world devoid of meaningful competition. No other group can command the enormous cross-gender, cross-generational and cross-ethnic support that U2 do. The last great rock band of the 20th band of the 21st ? You bet.’

More on Mojo here www.mojo4music.com

http://www.u2.com/news.php?mode=full&news_id=995

I couldn't agree more with MOJO! :wink:

Especially their final comments on U2 being the last GREAT Rock band of the 20-21st century.

Not every group can be the BEST in two centuries. That should really age the B-man!:lmao:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY! :adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

Jamila said:
I couldn't agree more with MOJO! :wink:

Especially their final comments on U2 being the last GREAT Rock band of the 20-21st century.

Not every group can be the BEST in two centuries.

Very, very true... it simply defies logic and the current music business that a band can be making some of their best music 25 (almost 30!) years into their career. The simple fact that U2 is still around after 25 years, with its four original members, is astonishing.

We are all very, very lucky people... we are living in the time of a legend. U2 is the last great rock band of the 20th century and the only great rock band of the 21st... another legend will emerge, to be sure, but no other band will be like U2. U2 is truly an original of the species :wink: I'm just so happy to be alive right now, during U2's reign, and I'm glad Mojo appreciates U2. Mojo rules :D

I never thought that anyone would ever be able to be placed on a par with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones who are rightly accepted as the 2 best bands ever but I genuinely reckon U2 surpass both of them now.

There is no band in history with a body of work as good as U2 nor has there been many bands as good live.

I thought Achtung and Zoo TV would always be their "popular" peak but I think they are about to go beyond that as the critics love them at the minute (even those that didn't before) and they have an album that is one of the best of all time nevermind a great U2 album. They are going to be everywhere for the forseeable.

Like someone else said on here...we're lucky that a band as good as this is around in our lifetime.

I totally agree, GS. The only two bands with a back catalogue comparable to U2 are the beatles and the stones. While the beatles made an incredible amount of great music, they were together for less than 10 years, less than half of U2's existence!

The stones likewise, but they haven't made a great record in 25 years!

The really amazing thing is that U2 are probably as good artistically and comercially successful as they have ever been. I've heard the album loads already and it is definately their third all time classic.

Back
Top Bottom