(11-09-2005) A Beautiful Day for U2 in Houston - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
A Beautiful Day for U2 in Houston

Ed. Note -- Our staffer Debbie Kreuser was recently a part of "U2 Day" in Houston. Here's the report she sent along.

Bono, lead singer of the world famous Irish Rock group U2 and well known advocate for the relief of world poverty, has received many awards and accolades through the last twenty years from world leaders and international organizations (including his several nominations over the last few years for the Nobel Peace Prize) but even Bono probably was not expecting to receive another award in Houston, Texas.

On October 28, 2005, the day that U2 performed at the Toyota Center in Houston, a small group of devoted fans stood waiting for Bono outside the arena in a "meet and greet" line for the band with an official Proclamation from Mayor White of Houston declaring the day as "U2 Day" in Houston.

The Proclamation was the end result of the collaboration of two Texas women (Martha Class of Houston and Debbie Kreuser of Austin) who worked together on the project for several months. The motivation for their efforts was simply to honor U2. As Martha Class said, “Ever since U2 got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I had been thinking of some way to honor them and to thank them for all the wonderful music they have made through the years and their charitable activities, especially Bono.”

The two women, accompanied by Sue Sadkwoski from Chicago, waited in a group of about fifty or so devoted U2 fans at the Toyota Center all afternoon for the band's arrival. Finally, at about 6p.m., the band arrived at the Toyota Center. Bono got out of his vehicle and immediately came over to the location where the three women were standing, (the women were standing behind a huge banner calling for the end of world poverty). He greeted the devoted fans warmly, and then listened intently as the Proclamation was presented to him. Bono then thanked the women for all their efforts and proceeded down the fan line, Proclamation in hand.

For the three women, a sense of gratitude at being able to present U2 with this honor was satisfaction enough for all their effort. As Debbie Kreuser emphasized "We wanted to show u2 how much they are appreciated and respected all over the world and especially in Texas and to reaffirm that the connection between U2 and their fans remain as strong today as it was 25 years ago."

As Bono says, it was a beautiful day.

By Martha Class and Debbie Kreuser

Last edited:
I'm not sure that article was completely accurate... were they the women with the Zootopians' Banner?!

Since I co-wrote the article, I can confirm that the article is completely accurate.

We were carrying the "Zootopians United Against Poverty" banner with us as I have been a proud Zootopian since 2002.

But I love it here at Interference also - despite appearances sometimes. :hug:

groovy...........

you can view the ----->proclamation <-----

i think this is almost the coolest thing ever.

good job Debbie Martha and Sue

in awe
Leah

Thanks appy.

And if you can post any of the pics from that day, feel free to do so.

What we did took a lot of work behind the scenes and we had to travel over some bumps to get there, but ultimately to see the look on Bono's face when he received the proclamation was reward enough!

It was one of the few times I have ever seen the man speechless - if only for a few moments! :sexywink:

Edgette, when we gave it to Bono we had full confidence that he would show it to the rest of the band.

Since we couldn't follow him into the Toyota Center, we can only assume that he did.

I'm sure he did if only to make Larry happy - since we all know how much Larry likes proclamations. (remember Bono's words from one of the Boston shows on the first leg?) :laugh:

:applaud: CONGRATULATIONS GIRLS! EXCELLENT WORK! Specially Debbie which I know for so long and I´m able to affirm that is a great person and a huge fan.

Thanks so much for your positive words.

The feeling is mutual, Regina.:hug:

(U2 in Brasil, February 2006 - :dancing: )

Back
Top Bottom