(11-09-2004) U2 Says No Early Album Release on iTMS - The Mac Observer*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Says No Early Album Release on iTMS

by Staff, 9:00 AM EST, November 9th, 2004

The rock group U2 will not release its new album on the iTunes Music Store (iTMS) earlier than previously announced, squelching numerous rumors by other Mac news sites, MacWorld UK magazine reported Tuesday.

A group spokesperson told the magazine the new album, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb', will still be released on November 22, as scheduled. "At present there is no plan to bring the album release date forward," a representative said.

U2 leader Bono vowed in July that if the album leaked onto the Internet illegally, it would release the album early. In July a tape containing rough tracks from the upcoming album was stolen during a photo shoot in the south of France.

It now appears contractural agreements between Apple Computer and the band will not make an early release possible. Industry sources have confirmed with millions of dollars in marketing already spent by Apple, the company wants its right to reap financial rewards from the pent up 'buzz'.

Apple announced on October 26 a special edition, black-colored U2 iPod for US$349. With its red click wheel, the new U2 iPod has a 20GB hard drive holding 5,000 songs, and features the autographs of each U2 band member engraved on the back. It comes with an exclusive U2 poster and white iPod earbuds. It also includes an iTMS coupon for $50 off the purchase of 'The Complete U2' digital boxed set, which includes every U2 song, plus 25 rare and unreleased tracks, for a total of 400 tracks.

U2 fans not buying the special edition iPod will be able to purchase and download The Complete U2 beginning in late November for US$149.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/11/09.10.shtml

So... neither the band nor Apple took a possible leak into consideration in their planning?

Seriously... why would they think they are any different than any other artist out there... or even why would this be different from the last two albums?

Poor planning.

GOOD FOR U2!

Good that they won't bow to those that want to do with their music (leak it) that they (U2) don't want to happen to their music.:up:

Sorry, folks, I know I might be against the grain on this one, but I didn't agree with this leak and I have solemnly sworn not to listen to any more new tunes off HTDAAB until U2 DECIDES TO RELEASE THEIR OWN MUSIC! :wink:

Their music is their property and it should belong to you and me when THEY decide to release it - not before.

I come from the "old school" and so am used to delaying gratification and waiting for something good - like U2's music.

While I support downloading as long as the artisis involved have given their permission, this uninvited leak of HTDAAB this past weekend REALLY DISHEARTENED AND BOTHERED ME. :tsk:

So I support U2's decision and I continue to encourage them to remain the INDEPENDENT SPIRITS that they have always been.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:hug:

I've downloaded and It Rocks!

Hey I downloaded it but I'm still going to buy the album cause I'm a fan and the album Rocks!
I listened to the album several times and I have to say it is amazing. I'm starting to beleive when U2 said this may be there best album yet. That is way too early to say but I am really getting into the songs. I like all 11 tracks even Vertigo sounds better and I can see why they put that one out as there first single. But another one which is becoming my favourite is "City of blinding light" Its reminscent of "where the street have no name" The way it builds up is incredible, and Edge is at is best, I love it and it definately doesn't hurt that it is the longest song on the album, I think 5:31. I think alot of Songs are reminscent of JT and older stuff. I can see why Bono said this is very much Edge's album as you can pretty well hear him in every song. He is just amazing and I have been waiting since AB for Edges masterfull return. Then theres "sometimes u can't make it on your own" If you have children or someone you really care about it you will definately feel this one. "Because of you" also rocks as Edge really struts it. Then there is "Original of the species" which again u can feel the the musice and the words. I think I could go on and on. I recommend you buy the album as soon it come out!

Ed.

This was predictable.
I think that are they different from any band and that’s why I’m no other band’s fan.

Jamila said:
GOOD FOR U2!I come from the "old school" and so am used to delaying gratification and waiting for something good - like U2's music.
So I support U2's decision and I continue to encourage them to remain the INDEPENDENT SPIRITS that they have always been.
:up: I'm with you on this, but I have to say that we'd better keep an open mind.
Once the album leaked there was nothing I could do besides downloading it. I had already ordered it, so there was nothing wrong about my decision.
There’s nothing to regret, I’m seriously in love with this album and I know this will last forever.

Kiwi said:
And what if you die tomorrow? You didnt hear the great stuff:huh:

my 2 cents: i'll die knowing i didn't compromise my morals by illegally downloading a studio album :tsk:

i'm glad they don't seem to be giving in. i hope they keep the original release date.

Sp does this help or hurt the band with regards to a possible #1 debut? The big competish is out of the way..Snoop Dog and Eminem..who have moved theirs up..HOWEVER..there were a lot of other releases on the 23rd.

WHo knows who is releasing what when?

I don't care, I've ordered the music and I just can't wait I'm human. Bono and the Edge have always let fans listen to stuff early.. It would not surprise me if this is all orchestrated by the band and management anyway!!

Also if you download original of the Species, go on do it, you will just know you have made the right decision, what a song!!! So to Jamila and Irelandwhispers etc, I respect your views I really do, but it is just not worth waiting any longer the songs are so good...

Well i have to say, when its there its there to listen to it and i dont think its a matter of beeing immoral towards u2, because they never disliked the idea of music sharing via internet, so why feeling immoral about it, if you buy it anyway. Its just a great opportunity for the diehard u2 fans that are totally addicted to their music to use it, the way its meant to. :eyebrow:

But it's not just about music sharing on the internet. The album is being sold all over the place now, in flea markets across the globe. That's definitely illegal and you must know the band would not be fine with that. I don't want to be even a small part of that activity, so I'm waiting till the 23rd.

Back
Top Bottom