(11-07-2004) Bono 'Finally' Says Goodbye to Late Father -- contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Finally Says "Goodbye" to Late Father

Rock star BONO found he started to behave a "little odd" following the death of his father BOB HEWSON in 2001.

The U2 frontman feels more "at ease" since Hewson's death of cancer and Parkinson's disease - even if he did carry out some "mad stuff" in his battle to combat his grief.

The singer, whose latest U2 album is called HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB, says, "Maybe something just lifted, like a very strange weight, and I am more at ease with myself. And this is as easy as I'll ever get, and this is pretty good.

"He is the atomic bomb in question and it is his era, the cold-war era, and we had a bit of a cold war, myself and him. When he died, I had no idea what would happen.

"I did start behaving a little odd, took on more and more projects. Looking back, now I've finally managed to say goodbye, I think that I did some mad stuff.

"I got a letter from a friend of mine that said, '1) Don't leave your job, 2) your wife, 3) take large sums of money out of the bank.'

"I wasn't doing any of that, but what he was saying was, when fathers die, sons do mad stuff. I thought I was ready for it."

--contactmusic

I can relate to what Bono has gone through in his life. I have had loss in my life, my dad of cancer in 84 and my grandfather who took my dad's place until i was 31. Lucky he didn't do the crazy things and mad stuff i did. I have lifted the weight as well. I love you Bono. U2 4 ever :wink:

Techie2000 said:
I find it pretty lame that contactmusic.com just keeps taking stuff from the Sunday Times interview and turning it into their own thing...:/

I know, and this site is posting these stories like it's news.:crazy:

at last, an acurate report by contactmusic without sensationalising. pity they haven't the professional decency to provide a reference of where they practically lifted everything in that article...i.e. The Sunday Times.

btw, i'm not a fan of contactmusic!

mysticchild said:
I can relate to what Bono has gone through in his life. I have had loss in my life, my dad of cancer in 84 and my grandfather who took my dad's place until i was 31. Lucky he didn't do the crazy things and mad stuff i did. I have lifted the weight as well. I love you Bono. U2 4 ever :wink:

my own father died when i was 18 and I remember doing some crazy stuff...like taking his car and going on a tour of scotland for about 3 days with no change of clothing...I had yet to pass my driving test!

What others said. Get hold of the Sunday Times piece if you want to read the whole thing, in context.

I don't know why Interference keep putting this like this on the News page. You're only encouraging them!

I think the important thing about this revelation from Bono about his difficulties in trying to deal with the death of his father is the fact that HE FOUND HIS WAY OUT OF THE DARKNESS THAT SURROUNDED HIM AND RESURRECTED HIMSELF TRIUMPHANTLY! :wink:

It also highlights one of the most unique and endearing characteristics of the B-man - his lifelong openness with others and honesty with himself.

If this blurb has any merit in itself, I think it would be to highlight those points about Bono. :hug:

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Despite despising Contamusic's style of “information”, I must say that I'm happy that Bono's has set himself free from that burden. I hope that he has found the beauty he’s got inside and that he’s ready to come and share it with the fans that love him. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom