(11-02-2004) U2tour.de Reviews New U2 Album - U2tour.de*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2tour.de Reviews New U2 Album

Recently, four members of fansite U2tour.de were able to attend an official listening party for "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" for journalists in Germany. Dividing all 11 songs on the album into four separate reviews and impressions, U2tour.de's member album reviews are revealing, challenging and insightful - and perhaps an early indicator of how fans worldwide will react to the album when it bows in late November.

It should be noted that U2tour.de's staff have said, "their reviews are personal and individual impressions that do not necessarily represent the opinion of U2tour.de."

To read U2tour.de's HTDAAB reviews, visit:
http://u2tour.de/specials/htdaab_prelistening/index_EN.php

Many congrats to U2tour.de for snagging this exciting opportunity!

I certainly think the reviews have some merit. Will they reflect the opinions of most U2 fans? Time will tell.

Tough critics huh?! Interesting how each song overall was rated higher than their ratings for the album as a whole. But that's U2 right? It takes a while, a few listens, and then the meaning and ideas slap you right in the face. It will all come together I'm sure of it!:yes:

On the first listenings none U2 album was good for me, but then:hyper:

Last edited:
Hmmm, a bit worrying,
But that Phaser star person (hmm!) was a bit dumb and his averages do not add up!!!

What concerns me is that they have used too many producers (See Pop, which i actually liked) and there seems to have been a lot of old material used, much more than usual..

sounds like beautiful day is better than anything on this album. vertigos kinda song that gets worse more times you hear it but yeah hopefully the rest of the album is like October - gets better with age, certaintly vertigos the only "garage rock" track which is all that u2 can leave behind!

What a load of crap that was. I'm glad they got to hear the album, but after reading their comments for a few songs, it became tedious and boring. Phaser seems to hate everything (barring a token exception or two). Everyone else is middle of the road. Their descriptions tell me nothing.

If I were to review their reviews, I'd give them a 3 out of 10. :lol: Seriously, they told me little about the album or why they really liked or disliked a song. It seemed very "well, the chorus was good" type of nonsense to me.

But as fans, they are entitled to their opinions. It's just a question of whether I want to hear (or read) them.

Also, U2 albums have ALWAYS taken time to grow on most U2 fans. UF probably shocked tons of people, yet it is well loved now. JT was the most accepted because it is the most accessible - and that's not necessarily a good thing (hence why JT is one of my least favorite U2 albums). AB took a real adjustment. I didn't like "One" when I first heard it - as hard as that is to believe! But now it's amongst my favorite songs ever. So I refuse to believe any review - from a fan or a "professional" - until after I've heard the album and sat with it for a while.

So I refuse to believe any review - from a fan or a "professional" - until after I've heard the album and sat with it for a while.

:up:

Reading those reviews is enough to blow the wind right out of your sails, so to speak. I wish I hadn't read them. One of them even said that they think U2 should split up!

Strange and inconsistent reviews e.g.

Origin of the Species is compared to Big Country and the Beatles???

City Of Blinding Lights sounds like Wire, Helter Skelter and Neon Lights????

One Step Closer - Sounds like the Passengers and WOWU?? Makes Phaser suicidal while being the most atmospheric song on the album??? What were these people smoking?

As others point out, the overall scores do not match the average of the indivdual songs.

Overall main weakness seems to be Bono's vocals, and frankly I can believe that - he has been raspy for years now. There are plenty of 7-10 ratings overall, so I am sure most U2 fans will find something they like.

My own opinions so far - Vertigo was a typical U2 single - I just don't like manufactured formula songs, COBL is really good, ABOY is above average. My biggest complaint about U2 is the repetition of lyrics, riffs and baselines over the years - I still love the music I just wish someone would write some software for Bono to show him how often he repeats himself!

I have yet to hear any of my local stations play Vertigo - that is a worrying sign......

OK I think if you take phaser out of the equation everyone thinks the album sounds pretty good except for man aa woman...anyway just heard the 1 minute clip of LAPOE AND IT SOUNDS GREAT

I wouldn't trust any of these reviews. There is no U2 album that I have enjoyed on first listen. U2's music is so much more than pop/dance music that wil be catchy on the first listen. I think if U2tour.de were given one week with the album and repeated listens then I would pay more attention to their opinion.

Back
Top Bottom