(11-01-2006) U218 Singles (and Tracklisting) - Yahoo!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, since this is supposed to be a collection of their best known and successful singles, rather than a genuine "best of", I can't say the track listing surprises or disappoints me all that much.:shrug: I mean, I have all these songs anyway, except the 2 new ones, and those will be the songs I'll be buying it for anyway.

The people on Interference arent who this album is meant for. Nobody is forcing you to buy it, I really dont see what the big deal is anyway. If you cant afford 10 bucks to get 2 new songs, dont buy it. No matter what tracks they put on here all of you "harcores" should have the tracks anyway, but there would have always been complaints.

So what should the tracklist be? My vote:

1. I Will Follow (Boy)
2. Gloria (October)
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday (War)
4. New Year's Day (War)
5. Pride (Unforgettable Fire)
6. Bad (UF)
7. Streets (Joshua Tree)
8. ISHFWILF (JT)
9. With Or Without You (JT)
10. Desire (Rattle & Hum)
11. All I Want Is You (R&H)
12. One (Achtung Baby)
13. Even Better TTRT (AB)
14. Stay (Zooropa)
15. Mofo (Pop)
16. Beautiful Day (ATYCLB)
17. Elevation (ATYCLB)
18. Vertigo (HTDAAB)
19. SYCMIOYO (HTDAAB)
20. City of Blinding Lights (HTDAAB)

Then add the extras...
21. Saints
22. Window
23. Mercy - where is it? Bman said it was great!
24. She's Gonna Blow Your House Down - how 'bout that JT outtake?!
25. ???

Sorry if I butchered any names, albums - did this from memory. Like others have said, compilations are not for the hardcore fans but would be nice if they threw us a bone!! ;-)

Crap. No I Will Follow and no Gloria? And a handful of songs the world has heard a million times? Feh.

Yahweh said:
The people on Interference arent who this album is meant for. Nobody is forcing you to buy it, I really dont see what the big deal is anyway. If you cant afford 10 bucks to get 2 new songs, dont buy it. No matter what tracks they put on here all of you "harcores" should have the tracks anyway, but there would have always been complaints.

I agree there will always be complaints, but if this is to be, as advertised on U2.com, the DEFINITIVE Best of, then this list comes up far short. Both on fan-favorites and chart positions, there are songs and albums that have been skipped in favour of less popular/lower selling songs.

I'm usually the one that says shut up and stop yer griping, but I think this time they've missed the boat.

I don't know whose idea it was for this compilation—the band or the record company—but I would have to say they missed a huge opportunity.

I'm assuming, along with being an obvious cash grab, the release of this disk was made with a view of reaching the maximum amount of people. This album was made more for the masses and not so much for the hardcore fans as we already have, save for the two new tracks, all these songs already.

That being said, it's obvious they put their most accessible(read:"pop") tracks. For example: The Sweetist Thing. A fun, lighthearted song but hardly groundbreaking . This song could have been left off and no one would have noticed.They could have included songs such as I will Follow, Gloria, Stay,Numb, Lemon, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Thrill Me, Miss Sarajevo,Mofo,Discotheque or Staring at the Sun. Anyone of these songs could have taken the place of the ATYCLB or Bomb songs.

But where was the missed opportunity?

What adding these songs instead of all the ATYCLB and Bomb tracks would have done is reach someone out there who has never even heard of Pop or Zooropa, i.e. the casual fan who knows Vertigo and Beautiful Day and may buy the album just for these songs. Many of these people could have heard Mofo or Stay and been blown away by them, so much so that they will go out and buy those albums. This does two things: make more money for U2 and the record companies and perhaps create more complete, hardcore fans out there that would be willing to shell out more money for concerts,T-shirts,albums,DVDs and IPods!

But what do I know? I'm just a U2 fanatic(maniac?) in every sense of the word who has spent thousands on the band over the years. Well, with this release at least, the buck stops here(at least with me). I will buy the 2 new songs off Itunes but that's it.

Last edited:
:yawn:

I'd hoped for a little more depth. I'm thinking of this release as one intended to get people into U2. These are the U2 tracks everyone already knows and probably has either bought from iTunes or downloaded illegally already. It would've been nice if it had been a mix of some very popular tunes and some that would send people out to dig into U2's back catalog--Bad, for instance, or Stay, or something off Boy or October.

That said, I doubt the band had much if any say in the tracklisting. I just wish the marketing folks at Interscope had thought a wee bit harder and not made all the most obvious decisions.

I hope this isn't the actual order of the tracks, either, because there are some really awful transitions. Vertigo after With or Without You? Walk On after Desire? I worry more about transitions when I make a mix CD for someone.

All my griping about this collection aside, I'm looking forward to hearing the new song, and I can't wait to hear reports from next week's shows!

Why not just release a singles disc/double disc a la Standing on the Beach? I really liked the fact that for a very long time, U2 didn't succumb to the 'greatest hits' temptation. So long to that. Look at bands like INXS, Clannad, and others that seem to have release their 'best' tracks ten times over in various forms. Perhaps this is just the record company's doing, but I have to think that U2 has some say in this. And for pete's sake, gimme some Fly already!

Clawgrabber said:
whew.

2 from achtung
4 from atyclb
0 from Zooropa, Pop, Boy, October, Passengers

a near decade gap (1991-2000)

hold me thrill me was a bigger song than sweetest thing.

i don't want to complain too much here, because it really doesn't matter at the end of the day, but i really think that at least 1 track from every album should have been included (with the possible exception of October) and Atyclb is a great album, but it doesn't deserve 4 tracks on a 16 track (not counting new songs now) collection spanning a 25 year music trek.

Discotheque
Stay

the omission of those two songs is flat out criminal. The inclusion of Sweetest thing and Stuck in their place is even worse.

toally agree :up: even HMTMKMKM it's better than sweetest thing, and I don't understand why the hell I Will Follow and Stay are not there.

Yahweh_OMG said:
Can I say that I'm not pleased with this Best of or should I shut up? You say your opinion, I say mine. And you don't need to tell me that I'm not a U2 fan, thanks. I think that as a fan, I should be able to say if something bothers me about U2. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to "eat" everything they do, accept every points of view and buy another best of for the 3rd time! Maybe I'm still a bit objective about U2, even though a bad U2 fan like me flew down to Buenos Aires to see them in March..... anyway, buy the album twice if you think it is so great.

I totally agree. There's nothing wrong with taking issue with some of what the band does. You don't have to be a completely brainwashed moron who thinks the band can do no wrong to be a fan.

I'm kind of surprised the more people seemed miffed by the omission of "Stay" than "All I Want is You". Both great songs. But "All I Want..." has been played on every tour since they wrote the thing. To me that is the greatest tragedy. And as people have pointed out...to make room for a song "Walk On" that they have already retired (at least temporarily)

I just can't believe Sweetest Thing makes it on another greatest hits cd. sigh...
It sounds like it was thrown together to me and its kind of sappy. Wasn't it written and quickly recorded as a birthday present to Ali when Bono forgot her b'day? Oh well. Of course, I'll buy it for the new singles and the DVDs, etc. sound cool too.

I just thought this whole thing was a bad idea in the first place.

If this is supposed to be a DIFINITIVE Best Of, shouldn't it come after U2 is done making music?

I don't know. I just kinda think that it's silly. We already have the two best ofs. Now we're getting this one. And you know there's going to be atleast one more after U2 releases another couple albums.

And then the casual fan will have a hard time deciding...which best of is really the best of?

But if they were going to do it, I think they should've chosen atleast one song from every album.

Oh well.

looking forward to the new song, anyways

All you have to do is get a play list of those songs together from your vast U2 collection, buy the 2 new tunes off i-tunes and Viola!

Shame the Milan DVD isn;t going seperate, but not to worry - 3D concert coming out next year should blow that'un away, woot!

ok, had to chime in.
it's "for the casual fan", ok so let's make it abuptive with the Vertigo/WOWY transition. YUK! 100% commercial set list and we understand.
it's a fine line up for the casual fan and will be purchased by the majority of us just for the Windows track. i bought the Saints track already 30 times. MUSIC RISING RULES!!!
btw, anyone with the need of an "end of the year tax write off" MUSIC RULES!

back to the list...i love the idea that they shoudl do one for us a "ForU18"
Here is my little dream...dream out loud!

oops another btw...isn't it cool how that is B's quote about dreams and his dad's was something like "don't dream, it only leads to disapointments"

ok, back to the list, here we go~

I Will Follow
A Day Without Me or OOC
October
Gloria
SBS
NYD
Drowning Man
Bad
Wire
RTSS
OTH
AIWIY
All along the Watchtower
UTEOTW
EBTTRT
Gone
Please
IALW
Kite
Crumbs
MD

ok, sorry U220 perhaps would be the title-

best to all in the drawing next week!

Peace~

I'm just buying it for the DVD.

If I wasn't buying it at all I'd just buy the new song off ITunes.

I'm not going to whine and cry sell-out because U2 included and didn't include certain songs on an album off albums I already own anyway.

Jono said:
ok, had to chime in.
it's "for the casual fan", ok so let's make it abuptive with the Vertigo/WOWY transition. YUK! 100% commercial set list and we understand.
it's a fine line up for the casual fan and will be purchased by the majority of us just for the Windows track. i bought the Saints track already 30 times. MUSIC RISING RULES!!!
btw, anyone with the need of an "end of the year tax write off" MUSIC RULES!

back to the list...i love the idea that they shoudl do one for us a "ForU18"
Here is my little dream...dream out loud!

oops another btw...isn't it cool how that is B's quote about dreams and his dad's was something like "don't dream, it only leads to disapointments"

ok, back to the list, here we go~

I Will Follow
A Day Without Me or OOC
October
Gloria
SBS
NYD
Drowning Man
Bad
Wire
RTSS
OTH
AIWIY
All along the Watchtower
UTEOTW
EBTTRT
Gone
Please
IALW
Kite
Crumbs
MD

ok, sorry U220 perhaps would be the title-

best to all in the drawing next week!

Peace~
But your list has 21 songs, so the title would be U221. :)

Are these maybe the highest charting U2 songs? Maybe that is why there is the uneven distribution by album. It would explain why a classic like I Will Follow is missing. Though I would have guessed that some Rattle and Hum songs would have charted higher - Angel of Harlem, AIWIY.

yes, U221...never did well in adding up columns on my hand held pc....

ok how about U230 we could actually wait until the 30th anniversary of the band and then they poll us for the top 30!
regardless of any chart location/single/cover/live just a polled fan top 30-
yeah, i like it!

Why aren't City of Blinding Lights or Original of the Species on the CD. I mean Bono has even decribed the latter as "probably the best song on (HTDAAB)". Very annoyed about those omissions. Otherwise the tracklisting is as expected.

Here would be my tracklisting for U2:18 v.2

1. THE FLY
2. IN GOD'S COUNTRY (yes, it was only a single in North America, but we've gotta have something from Joshua Tree on there...)
3. GLORIA
4. STARING AT THE SUN
5. CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
6. THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
7. ANGEL OF HARLEM
8. WHO'S GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES [TEMPLE BAR EDIT]
9. STAY [FARAWAY, SO CLOSE!]
10. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU [SINGLE MIX]
11. ALL I WANT IS YOU (sure, this is a good "final track," but since it has already closed out both R&H and Best of 80-90, I moved it up in the running order)
12. I WILL FOLLOW (since this is a bonus track on U218, it could be replaced on v.2 with Out of Control)
13. EVEN BETTER THAN THE REAL THING
14. ELECTRICAL STORM [WILLIAM ORBIT MIX]
15. ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES [SINGLE VERSION]
16. DISCOTHEQUE
17. LEMON
18. PLEASE [SINGLE VERSION]

selection is ok..
But I just don't like this kind of "operation" -- sounds too much like a weak way to get money :((

Wouldn't be my tracklisting, but it looks like this is definitely for the more casual fans. My little sister will LOVE this, those are basically all her favorite U2 songs. I think the disc is more for people like her.

I won't have a problem buying this. I don't expect the world's biggest band to be catering to my personal expectations, since fans like myself (and most here on Interference) are really the minority of their listening audience.

They had a contractual obligation to fulfill and now that's done. The casual fans will have a new disc of some great songs. Now the band can focus on the remainder of the tour and a new album. I'm perfectly satisfied.

So The Fly gets dropped yet again! :( And no Gloria!?! :sad: If that really is the actual the track listing then all I can say is....:down: I know it must be hard to decide the 'definitive' track listing of U2s singles but this really is disappointing!! :tsk:
That's not to say I won't be buying it, the obsession runs deep, but I'll be buying it mainly for the DVD version of 'With or Without You'! :drool: And of course the Milan tracks. :hyper:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom