(10-30-2006) Oasis and U2 Win Big at Q Awards - MTV UK*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Oasis and U2 Win Big at Q Awards

But band of the moment Razorlight are snubbed...

Oasis were crowned 'Best Act in the World Today' at the Q Awards beating rock heavyweights U2.

Noel Gallagher also walked away with the gong for 'Classic Songwriter' - Bono and co didn't go home empty-handed however and can now add the 'Band of Bands' and 'Lifetime Achievemnet' trophies to their silverwear cabinet.

'Best Album' went to Arctic Monkeys' 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'. But while Noel and U2 turned up to the bash to pick up their awards and quaff the free champers, the Sheffield scamps were a no-show.

Also absent from the attendees were band of the moment Razorlight - many were shocked that the chart-topping foursome didn't go home with the gong for Best Album for their second, self-titled smasher.

Other winners included Corinne Bailey Rae for 'Best New Act', Gnarls Barkley with 'Best Track' for 'Crazy'; The Killers took home 'Best Video' for 'When You Were Young', Muse took home 'Best Live Act' and Take That got a special 'Idol Award'.

http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/mtvuk/news/30102006/oasis_and_u2_win_big_at_q_awards

What exactly did Larry say about this being their last Q Awards? (I read a news snippet on a different site that mentioned this.)

Rachel D. said:
What exactly did Larry say about this being their last Q Awards? (I read a news snippet on a different site that mentioned this.)

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.

It wasn't Lifetime Achievement that they won. It was Innovation In Sound which was awarded to Edge, as well as a special one-time-only Q Award Of Awards: Band of Bands accolade for polling most votes from Q readers through the history of the Q Awards.

It *should* be their last Q awards attendance if Oasis can win over them...how silly! And Noel winning over Bono for songwriting?! what crap...:rolleyes:

whatever, in any case...

cheers all!

oh, and despite the quoted source in the newspiece for this thread, it looks like U2 won "Band of Bands" for the most votes polled from fans over the whole history of their mag (a one-time award) and Edge won for "Innovations in Sound" (yeah Edge! That was a well-deserved and discerning award!)
and *Peter Gabriel* (yeah for Peter! also well deserved.. ) won for Lifetime Achievement...at least that's what it looks like to me on this list:
http://www.qawards.co.uk/qawards/

the boys apparently all looked lovely...I especially like Larry's look! And he is listed as having presented the award to Gnarls Barkley for best track...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom