(10-30-2004) Eminem's Ballroom Blitz -- NME.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Eminem's Ballroom Blitz

EMINEM made a rare live appearance at a secret gig in NEW YORK last night.

Eminem walked onstage at New York’s Roseland Ballroom (October 28) wearing a dark blue suit, white collared shirt, red tie, and a pair of pink fuzzy bunny rabbit slippers.

The 2,500 capacity venue was decked out like a patriotic prom complete with swanky cheese plates and an open bar in the VIP section, and ‘Shady National Convention’ signs, buttons and bumper stickers on hand for everyone else.

The performance was a poorly kept secret, and most of the fans who received tickets seem to have won them off a local radio station, who broadcast the performance live.

The event was attended by U2 singer Bono, who wore a cowboy hat, and a collection of hip-hop names like Redman, Obie Trice, many of whom made guest appearances on stage.

The event began as a mock convention speech with Donald Trump introducing Marshall Mathers, who stepped up to a podium and explained his desire to run for office.

"I’ve witnessed the political rhetoric in this country – did I
pronounce that word right? Rhetoric?" he asked jokingly, adding "So I’ve created my own party, the Shady party" which caused an eruption of applause.

Then the stage set changed, and the show began. Eminem opened with new the politically charged new song ‘Mosh’, performed while the stunning new animated video for the song played on a giant screen behind him.

Over 20 different tracks were performed by Eminem and his guests which included D12, Busta Rhymes, Proof, Obie Trice and 50 Cent, among others.

Eminem performed tracks off his older records, like ‘Kill You’, but
stuck primarily to his new record, and to his friends’ material like
D-12’s hit singles ‘How Come’, and ‘My Band’, and 50’s forever catchy ‘In Da Club’.

Eminem closed with the first single off his new record, ‘Just Lose It’, which he introduced by saying: "My whole career has been based on controversy…my motto in 2004 is if you can’t take a motherfucking joke, then beat it" – a reference to the uproar surrounding the video for the song, in which Eminem mocks Michael Jackson.

--NME.com

Thanks mistyrose!

mistyrose also found pics of Bono at the event...

bonoshadyconvention-vi.jpg

bonoshadyconvention2-vi.jpg

bonoshadyconvention3-vi.jpg

bonoshadyconvention4-vi.jpg

bonoshadyconvention5-vi.jpg

Eminem is a talented performer. "Just Lose It" is horrific, but not because of the video. In fact, I found the video rather humorous and feel that Michael Jackson deserves all the mocking he's receiving. To spend that type of $$ on facial reconstruction and lawsuits for child molestation is sad and pathetic. The good he could've done with that $$... sigh... However, the song "Just Lose It" is one of Eminem's worst.

Still, I can see Eminem highly respecting Bono - who wouldn't? He's like a Mick Jagger. Britney Spears at first respected Bono, then dissed him. Now look at her career. Don't be messing with the B-man! ;-)

doctorwho said:

Still, I can see Eminem highly respecting Bono - who wouldn't? He's like a Mick Jagger. Britney Spears at first respected Bono, then dissed him. Now look at her career. Don't be messing with the B-man! ;-)

Spears dissrespected Bono???:eyebrow:

doctorwho said:
Eminem is a talented performer. "Just Lose It" is horrific, but not because of the video. In fact, I found the video rather humorous and feel that Michael Jackson deserves all the mocking he's receiving. To spend that type of $$ on facial reconstruction and lawsuits for child molestation is sad and pathetic. The good he could've done with that $$... sigh... However, the song "Just Lose It" is one of Eminem's worst.

:up: :up:

riderka said:
Bono was at Eminem's concert? :scratch:

Bono has mentioned liking Eminem's music in the past, which could be one reason he was there. Also, U2 and Eminem are on the same record label (Interscope) so it would be pretty easy for Bono to get tickets. Maybe he was there with good friend, and Interscope head, Jimmy Iovine?

dsmith2904 said:

Bono has mentioned liking Eminem's music in the past, which could be one reason he was there. Also, U2 and Eminem are on the same record label (Interscope) so it would be pretty easy for Bono to get tickets. Maybe he was there with good friend, and Interscope head, Jimmy Iovine?
Yes, maybe.
Probably you're right.

Bono in that cowboy hat, always trying to blend into the crowd and remain anonymous, lol.

Bono seems to be into every aspect of pop culture. Of course he would attend an Eminem show!

Back
Top Bottom