(10-29-2004) U2 Makes A Video A No-Show - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Makes A Video A No-Show

Last night, many U2 fans stayed up late to catch what they believed to be the making of the "Vertigo" video on MTV - what they saw was something different altogether. Fans report seeing "High School Stories" and "Viva La Bam," even if their tv guides stated "U2 Makes A Video" was indeed the program that was airing.

Interference.com member ramblin rose now reports that "All of the episodes of U2 Makes A Video have been taken off the schedule." If you would like to complain to MTV, you can visit: http://www.mtv.com/news/youtellus/

To watch the entire "Vertigo" video, VH1 is hosting it at VH1.com:
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/u2/videos.jhtml?popThis=popVideo(37490)

No word yet on when U2 fans will see the eagerly anticipated documentary of the storied Spanish video shoot. The "Vertigo" video is in high rotation on most music video channels.

Stay tuned as we find out more to this story!

Thanks to ramblin rose, Agent Missa and btdavis!

Last edited:
I don't normally complain about stuff on TV, but this time I will!

I think that it's VERY unfair for MTV to advertise this program in its rotation only to pull it off with NO explanation.:scratch:

Until the truth comes out and/or this program is rescheduled, I encourage ALL of us to make our feelings known to MTV on this one.

U2 is not only the pre-eminent Rock band in music today, they ARE the pre-eminent group of musiscians in the world today.:hug:

THEY DESERVE MORE RESPECT THAN THIS.

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

Not surprised MTV would cancel the U2 video. It probably doesn't fit in with their "demographics." They have to show no talent pop stars that can't sing or dance instead. Oh. and can't forget their brainless rap videos too.
VH-1, which is also owned by MTV, probably falls into their "demographic"
range where U2 video would be aired.
Both stations suck! VH-1 sucks less
than MTV a little bit.

maybe the hold up is on u2's end.
but, wait, they always meet their deadlines, right?
based just on the title of the program "u2 makes a video" rather than the usual "making the video" it would seem that this program is being produced by u2 and not mtv.
i could be way off, but i think u2 is to blame for the cancellations and not mtv.

I agree with all of you - one would think U2.com would announce the airing of the program if it fact there was a program to watch. However, if there was never a program, why would U2 allow it to be listed?

:shrug:

Very odd!

Anyone have a link to the full Vertigo video that works on a Mac? All the sites I have seen so far like MTV.com, muchmusic.com, VH1 use a stupid proprietary version of Windows Media or something and don't work on Macs. :mad:

this is the second time MTV has put "u2 makes a video" on their schedule, only to have it not air.

also, likr i said before... if it's not on U2.com, i'm not expecting it to be aired. and to add... MTV may have added it to their schedule on their webpage, but there were never any commercials about it on the actuall TV station it's self.

so stop sending complaints to MTV... it's not their fault.

I don't think Making the Video for Vertigo was ever actually the episode that was supposed to show...my on-screen TV guide said it was a 2001 episode, which would be the making of Elevation.

And as someone pointed out in another thread, why would they air the first showing of Making the Video for a new single at midnight? Its usually done during prime time.

I don't think anyone was purposely deceived here, but hey, I've been wrong before :shrug:

I was absolutely livid. All night I was looking forward to watching it. I stayed up until midnight. Lo and behold, they show some lame-ass show about high school kids.

WHAT THE F!!!!!!!

At first, I was pissed off. Then I got depressed, thinking that MTV doesn't like U2 anymore because they are not hip anymore. Remember, MTV is about pop, hip hop and boy punk bands now, which sucks big time. They cater to high school kids, who don't like U2.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I noticed yesterday afternoon that it wasn't listed on rock on tv any longer. I had just seen it listed earlier in the day. I posted about it in the EYKIW - TIVO thread. It changed just that fast. I think Principal pulled it because MTV may have been falsely advertising it. Who knows. It's all speculation at this point. :eyebrow:
Still, it is listed in the on-line tv guide for my area for 1:30 in the morning. Which others have mentioned is an odd time for a new video???

FYI - VH1 classic was running the Vertigo video last night, on the hour, every hour. There ws a lead in intro from one of the VJ's

Everybody needs to un-bunch their panties please...this is not a big deal. Remember going from concept to filming to post production for Vertigo has been VERY quick. Is it me or did they just finish filming like a few weeks ago? And now they already have the video out with CG effects and all....

SO MAYBE, if there was to even be a making of vertigo video, it's just not done yet and they pulled it off the schedule until it is done?

Excuse me.

But if you stayed up to watch this then you would be a bit upset. Luckily, I TIVOed it and was able to sleep and then delete the crap they put in its place.

I haven't been able to catch it on VH1 as of yet b/c I'm still asleep in the wee hours of the morning and in the afternoon like now they are playing Purple Rain.

Also, TIVO still has the show playing at 5pm today on MTV2. Obviously they didn't fix everything. Oh well.

I guess there are other things to complain about.

It is my observation that MTV doesn't do a good programming job anyway. On numerous occasions, they will say they are showing Real World or Road Rules (yeah I know what great shows :) ) and some other crappy show!

:shrug: It had been changed so many times anyway, I wasn't really expecting it to be on. It would be a real bummer if it did come on and it was the making of Elevation...like I don't already have that on tape 3 or 4 times! :laugh:

I was waiting for it at 5 today and it wasnt on. MTV probably would rather stick with Ashley Simpson and the other pop bs.

I stayed up to watch it. I was so angry that I couldn't sleep. "Oh well," I thought, "it'll be on at 4:00 tomorrow." Yeah right. I got off the bus and ran to the TV for nothing!

But I did see the video three times yesterday! Once on TRL and twice on VH1 Classic. (I thought it was dumb at first but I liked it more and more every time I saw it.)

I almost started to cry when it wasn't on. I then set my tv to turn on at 7 am so I could wake up to it, NOTHING! This is what I wrote to those evil people;

GRRRR at you MTV. U2 Makes A Video has been moved for the second time this month. Stop toying with our minds and just play it already!

Last edited:
MTV has sucked for years. It's no surprise the video wasn't shown. It's geared toward the kids.

Sorry this is completely unrelated....BUT, does anyone know if &/or what song did u2 write about or relating to Christy Turlington???? My Boss wants to know!!
Thanks so much...

Was it something from zooropa...like babyface?

guys MTV wouldn't just claim to air a making of video for Vertigo then decide to pull it off because they suddenly realized at the last minute U2 aren't that cool anymore. :wink:
If they had the actual show then they would have aired it, but obviously for some reason, they couldn't get it! (I believe that it was delayed once before as well because they probably hadn't finished making it yet)

I got to see the video on VH-1 classic every hour which I would have thought they would have put it in another of their channels. As far as the making of the video thing goes I 've pretty much given up on MTV or VH-1 to get things right.:rant:

Back
Top Bottom